Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips or advice on going to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 PM
LTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips or advice on going to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala?

Last summer I rode to and around Nuevo Laredo. It seemed like there was some bureaucracy to take my bike further than 20 miles into Laredo, so I didn't bother.

This year, I think I'm going to take Highway 180 to Cancun. From there it seems very or at least relatively close to Guatemala and Belize.

I haven't even asked anyone (except the US state department web site) about Belize and Guatemala.

Everyone seems to tell me Mexico is too dangerous. I think to a large extent, everytime anyone ever told me something was too dangerous, turned out they didn't know what they were talking about. So I asked and asked and asked. Closest I got to "No, it's OK, go for it, have a good time" was a guy I know who said, "Stick with your group."

My group is almost always, and most certainly this time: Me.

So, is it that dangerous?
What paperwork can I should I do from the states before going into Mexico. Is there a way to get all the bureacracy straightened out before I ride to the border? Any cheap clean hotels you'd like to recommend?

How about Belize and Guatamala? Is it relatively safe? (I lived in the wards in Houston and the west side of Chicago, and went up Shankhill Road in Belfast, with a group, to see the combat murals). What bureacracy should I expect? Any good way to get it done?

As there's a rule, it seems, that knives are illegal in Nuevo Laredo, (how do they eat steak?), I don't think I'll be packing my "peace keeper." Although I'm pretty sure I'll have to try (once again) to take my leatherman into Mexico, as I won't ride without some tools, especially that far from home.

Any good way to get bike insurance for those countries? My carrier tells me my insurance for the States is no good in those countries.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...~0~0&encType=1

Here is a map I obtained for a ride from my place in Ohio down into Costa Rico.

I have given this thought and here are some of the things immediately brought to mind-
Drug cartel activity in Mexico is rampant. Laws down there are much different and if you are caught carrying, for any reason, coming over the border its an immediate prison sentence. My travels entailed going through several other countries, Guatamala, Honduras, El Salavador, Nicaragua....and who really knows what kind of guerrilla activities might be going on there anymore.....

You would need a passport and immunizations I'm sure

Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off in my opinion there are way to many beautiful places right here in the US to see. I've been to Belize last year, nothing great at all to reward the risk you would be taking(arm pit of the world). Same with most parts of Mexico, it's a third world country, once you got outside the tourist area's most of the places are poverty struck.

There was a book written and a movie about a guy that did South America a while back. Great riding etc until he came across some militant army patrol.They dragged his azz off into the jungle and it took over a year for him to get out, he was pretty missed up.Not my idea of a vacation.

As far as a gun or any other weapon, It's illegal and if you get caught or have to use it, your wrong either way and would go to jail.Trust me it's not like the US, you have no rights and one would care.

Green is green and we have the same blue skys and mountains and we have them all over the US......plan your trip across the us and enjoy.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
LTrain
Road Master

I agree. I think travel in the US is great. In 2008 alone, I rode my HD in 25 different states.

The reason I'm thinking Mexico, is there's a wedding there. I love riding. Riding is cheaper than flying. So there you go. I guess you're saying it's not worth it, eh?

Belize and Guat seem really close on the map, and I think if I went that close, and didn't stop by, I'd regret it.

I think I wasn't clear in my original post. "I don't think I'll be packing my "peace keeper." " I meant, I *won't*, unless you're thinking of jacking me, then I definitely have it, find someone softer.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
champsruss
Intermediate
Default Mexico Travel

I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico and let me assure you that the first time an official (cop, soldier, whatever) sees your bike it's gone forever. I love to go to the tourist spots and feel very safe there, but you'd have to sleep with your bike (forget leaving it outside your room) and don't trust the guards at the hotel parking lots. Nobody will see anything..... You will be treated nicely by the people you meet but money is just too precious there to allow you to keep your bike. Unfortunately you will probably have to disappear as well to make things go smoothly for them. Don't put yourself in a position to be worth more dead than alive.... Don't do it..... I don't even wear a watch or any rings for the same reason. Things are just different there and you have no recourse......

Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
LTrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by glideridemike
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...~0~0&encType=1

Here is a map I obtained for a ride from my place in Ohio down into Costa Rico.

You would need a passport and immunizations I'm sure
That looks like a great ride. Have you ever written down your experiences on that trip, or posted them? I'd love to hear about it! Even if I think better of my ride for safety reasons, I'd sure enjoy reading it.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
LTrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by champsruss
I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico and let me assure you that the first time an official (cop, soldier, whatever) sees your bike it's gone forever. I love to go to the tourist spots and feel very safe there, but you'd have to sleep with your bike (forget leaving it outside your room) and don't trust the guards at the hotel parking lots. Nobody will see anything..... You will be treated nicely by the people you meet but money is just too precious there to allow you to keep your bike. Unfortunately you will probably have to disappear as well to make things go smoothly for them. Don't put yourself in a position to be worth more dead than alive.... Don't do it..... I don't even wear a watch or any rings for the same reason. Things are just different there and you have no recourse......

I guess that settles it then. It's just too bad. Guess I'll just cough up the airline dollars, and do it the boring way. Better to be bored than dead I suppose.

Thanks for all the tips.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hubby, I and another couple took a trip down the Baja a couple of years ago. 3 bikes in total (His, mine and theirs). It was a very successful trip. Went all the way to Cabo San Lucas. Saw lots, learned lots ... glad we did it ... But, I don't know if we would ever do it again.

Come across numerous security checks ... mostly they just waved us through ... Only once were we asked to stop and show our papers. Lots of bikers down there...Security patrols really didn't seem to bother us at all.

I keep hearing that it's not safe, and is growing worse. We never ran into any problems ourselves, but Hubby and the friend we were travelling with witnessed a policia 'sting' on a couple of young bar hoppers (about 23 yrs old). They arrested them, claiming they had drugs ... loaded them up on their squad truck and took off with them. Within about 20 minutes the youngsters were back to the ATM machine underneath our balcony for more money, shaken up but unharmed. Seems the policia took them down a back alley closeby, robbed them at gunpoint, and let them go.

After that, we couldn't wait to get outta that country! Even a few people we spoke who live arouand there part time said the same thing ... The police ... especially around Cabo San Lucas are as corrupt as it gets. NO ONE is safe around there.

The people in general are awesome! There was certainly a language barrier, because travelling through there is not much for 'touristy' areas ... Those are more off the main hwy. Road signs are all in Mexican...So it's a little tricky to find out where you need to go or what to watch out for. We managed to do it somehow though. The restaurants, the gas stations...etc...Those people were awesome!

The hwys were pretty good .. accept for the livestock...THEY are everywhere! Especially after dark when it starts to cool down. They lay on the pavement. The shoulders are mostly gravel and usually have a big drop off to get off the main paved road. Sometimes it was a little testy to get back on with such a drop (worried about bottoming out). I hate that 'scrapping' noise!

Maybe I'm spoiled living in the society that I do, but I didn't really particularily care for the lack of emissions controls there. Black smoke streams out of buses and transport trucks not to mention regulars passengers cars and trucks and fills the air with polution you can cut with a knife. Here at home, at the end of a day of motorcyling, it's not unusual to have a very dirty facecloth after wiping your face ... in Mexico ... after wiping your face, you'd think you just washed off the bottom of your boots. KYUCK!

You do have to get a travel permit to travel into the country (deeper than about 20 miles I believe) ... Do NOT skip this step! It's a pain ... but you will not be allowed to leave the country unless you have THAT paperwork! Period! They put these ugly *** stickers on your windshield. Do not loose those stickers!

After this experience, we have settled with the fact we may never visit Mexico again...Not travelling by bike, that's for sure. You are never 100% safe anyway ... in the U.S. or even Canada for that matter .... but, the difference is ... If you get into trouble ... at least in North America ... your chances of getting help is much improved as opposed to Mexico.

I'm sad to report that personally, at least from now on, I think I'll take my chances on this continent, thank you very much. Mexico is a very poor country and they depend on tourism a lot. I don't know if I will ever shake the feeling of unease if I were to travel back there. I most certainly wouldn't take the chances that we did by just roaming freely throughout the country. Just can't do it. It's a shame really! Once you reach the ocean ... It's beautiful!

Last edited by bikergirl40; 01-26-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Black Pearl HD
2nd Gear
Default Belize

We just had John Mooney from Reno visit us here in Belize. He rode for Reno throu Mexico, Guatemala to Belize.
He said he never had any problems on the road.
Regards
Black Pearl
Harley-Davidson
Belize

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Per my nephew who tracks the things going on for the US Gov....Don't go at the present time.....just to hot down there...

Quick Reply: Tips or advice on going to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala?