Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bushtec Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 AM
brave313
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushtec Trailer

I just ordered a Bushtec Trailer Quantum GT. I have never towed a trailer with a motorcycle, does it change the ride any. I have an 08 Ultra Glide Classic. Ant tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darrell

Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I understand it is different.

You should research/post your question to https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...railering-100/

Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
JacktheBagger
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

We had a camper we pulled for quite a few years ..

Once you get rolling you wont know you're pulling it .. You will notice in slow speed manuevering the weight , and it will push just a bit , not much ..

Biggest thing is smooth on the throttle and brakes .. Only problem is , if you ever have a problem , you're screwed ..

You should probably consider regearing the front pulley on the final drive or the compensator in the primary ...

Any q's feel free to PM me ..

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Watch going into gas stations it is easy to forget the trailor is there. Turning you will need to go a little wider because of the trailor.

Extra weight will take some getting used to when stopping. Once you are moving you really won't know it is there.

I have a stock 88 and have not had any problems. We have been towing it for 3 years took it on Deals Gap trip. You will have to spend more time at every stop explaining about the trailor to eveyone!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

We have over 65K with a trailer and haven't had a problem. Taking a trailer out the first time is like take a bike out the first time. You have a learning curve but it will become second nature. Now if we could just get the MOCO to put a positive spin on trailering instead of preaching death and injury and lose of warranty.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
JacktheBagger
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah I dunno why the moco does that , when I bought my hitch back in the mid 80's , it came from Harley fer cryin' out loud ..

I'm seriously thinking of getting another trailer , but with the gearing on the six speed , regearing will be in order most assuredly ..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM
aeronautic1
Cruiser
Cool Roadstar

I pull a Bushtec Roadstar behind my '07 Codger Classic. Everything you read about having to check the mirrors to make sure it's back there are true. Saying that you're pulling it is kind of a misnomer.

However, you do have to make sure you remember it's just a tad wider when you pull into a gas station or toll booth.

My local Harley dealer was pulling my bike and trailer our of their shop and cut a corner a bit tight and hit a post. Flipped the trailer on it's side- not the bike. That has something to say about the gimballed hitch as opposed to a standard ball hitch. Happily, the dealership repainted the the trailer (no glass damage) and replaced damaged trim. Looks like new.

Mine is painted black pearl to match and has every option offered by Bushtec. Nice to go to the trap and skeet range or golf course on the scoot, instead of the 'vette.

Attached Thumbnails Bushtec Trailer-my-harley.jpg  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:30 AM
dkl032
6th Gear
Default bushtec roadstar

just bought a new bushtec roadstar, and pull behind 06 ultra. virgin trip was 3000 mile trip down pacific coast highway from idaho. what they say is very true, you always look behind to see if it is there. only time i notice it is there is pulling hills. just need the wife to lose the feeling of having to fill it up!

concern is loss of warranty threat by harley. have read some threads that they really cant deny a claim unless they can show that the trailer caused the damage. i can see a frame issue of even a tranny, but anything else should be covered. any other feedback on this warranty issue?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
aeronautic1
Cruiser
Cool My Dealer

The dealer who sold my '07 Codger Classic to the previous (original) owner, and who I bought the 5 year extended warranty from, installed every option the original owner added (chrome lowers, V&H ovals, hog tunes, Race Tuner, Bushtec trailer and hitch et al). They said that because they did the upgrades, they would make sure I was covered. I believe them!

Last edited by aeronautic1; 06-04-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
sparky2
Stage I

Firebike32,

It looks like you have the Aluma Trailer. Is it the large (MCTXL 5ft) or small (MCT 4ft) one? How does it pull for you? Do you see it bouncing at all? What tire pressure do you run on the trailer? I was interested in one of those, but heard bad things about the torsion bar suspension to the point where the dealer told the owner to run a fairly low tire pressure, which I think would affect the pulling effort required.

I currently pull a Magneta MBT1. It also has torsion bar suspension. When I look in the mirror the trailer is constantly bouncing, but the tires stay on the road. I don't feel the bouncing at all, probably since the trailer is so light (125 lbs empty, approximately 225 lbs full). I am looking at getting a larger cargo trailer (camping trip to Alaska) and am looking for any experiences with the Bushtec and the Aluma from any owner.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bushtec Trailer