Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Safe way to carry extra gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
PickyBiker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe way to carry extra gas

I am about to head out on a long trip on my sportster with a 4.2 gallon tank. I would feel better about it if there were a safe way to carry an extra quart of gas, just-in-case. Is there a safe container that will allow me to carry extra gas in a saddle bag or backpak?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Mr Atomic
Stage III

Originally Posted by PickyBiker
I am about to head out on a long trip on my sportster with a 4.2 gallon tank. I would feel better about it if there were a safe way to carry an extra quart of gas, just-in-case. Is there a safe container that will allow me to carry extra gas in a saddle bag or backpak?
I don't know if this is still available or not, but a few years ago the auto parts stores sold small pre-filled shots of fuel in a special container for emergency use. I don't recall what they held (maybe a half-gallon?), and never used one myself. Presumably they were safe to store in the trunk of a car, so I'd think they could be stuck in the trunk of saddlebag of a scooter.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Fuel bottles work well you just have to use them as directed, i.e. DO NOT OVERFILL and it's best keep them in an area protected from impact, I also pack them in zip lock bags for a little extra leak protection. The best plan is to never pass up an opportunity to fuel and take fuel stops into consideration when planning a route. There are a few different manufacturers, I use an MSR bottle on my dual sport when heading into the mountains and transfer it to the HD on long trips, the sportbike goes without.

Mac

http://www.rei.com/category/5760743
http://www.altrec.com/mountain-safet...ch/fuel-bottle

Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
PickyBiker
3rd Gear

Thank you. I just got back from REI with a 30 Oz MSR bottle. It's the perfect size for my needs and will easily fit the saddle bags or the back pack. I like to get 140 miles + or - 10 miles per fillup, and sometimes that is cutting it pretty close. Now at least, I can rest a little easier knowing there's another 8-10 miles just-in-case I push it a little too far.