Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Smokey Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
thehermeslonghorn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokey Mountain

I am planning to ride from Austin, TX to Smokey Mountain this mid-July including Tail of the Dragon. I was wondering how many days recommend stay and ride around Smokey Mountain? Also do you think 1 week is sufficient time for the whole trip?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My last trip to the mountains was only four days. One day to get there two days riding around, and one day going home.
That was no where near long enough.

I don't think 4 days in the mountains wouldv'e been long enough, as there a so many roads up there that as just as good as the dragon, just not hyped and advertised and turned into a tourist trap.

One week is NOT sufficient time as you will be on the road for 4 days. that will only leave 3 days to ride the area. Unless you are only going to ride the dragon multiple times and go no where else.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

one week will give you a good taste of the riding of the area.. just stay away from the tourist areas.. Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge.. they will be very congested in July.. A lot of good riding can be done if you don't spend all your time foot draggin in the shopping mecas..

Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are going to the Smoky Mountains to ride, just for the sake of riding, then 3 days of riding around will probably be enough, especially if the weather does not cooperate. If you are planning to actually see some of the sights that the area has to offer, then no, 3 days will not be enough. I've been to the Smokys almost every year for the past 8 years and always find something new to see and do. You should plan to visit Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley (you could spend all day there!) and if you can find it Bald River Falls is worth the detour off the beaten path. Plenty to see and do in the area and as mentioned before, plenty of riding besides The Dragon (but definitely do The Dragon -- and buy a shirt, too.) My trips include a 500 mile ride to get there, 2 days of approximately 200 miles each, and 500 miles home. Four days and 1,400 miles is plenty for me, but I usually go with a group of 6 or 8 so everything takes longer, requires more planning, and that's about the limit that all of us can get along with each other. Definitely do some research before you go to plan out your days. If you are going with a group, indecision about "what to do, where to go" wastes a lot of valuable vacation time. No matter what you do, it will be a memorable trip!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

If you route it accordingly, you can ride Cherohala Skyway, pick up
28 at Stecoah, to Deals Gap, to Foothills Parkway. Stay in the
Townsend-Wears Valley area, and you just rode some of the nicest
roads available. That would roughly be 1200 miles by then. From there
you could take Little River Rd. to 441 down to Cherokee and do what
time will allow, Blue Ridge or back towards Cherohala.

Jim

Last edited by WideBoy04; 05-10-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
pcbertsch
Tourer

Originally Posted by thehermeslonghorn
I am planning to ride from Austin, TX to Smokey Mountain this mid-July including Tail of the Dragon. I was wondering how many days recommend stay and ride around Smokey Mountain? Also do you think 1 week is sufficient time for the whole trip?
Being a Native Texan transplanted in North Carolina, I will say any time spent in the Smokies is not enough. The best ride I believe would be "The Blue Ridge Parkway," through Virginia.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's plenty of time - for a teaser! You'll be back!
There are so many great riding roads in the area that getting lost becomes the adventure. You'll find some out of the way roads that'll be memorable life experiences.
If you're a knee dragger type - make SURE you punctuate it with some of the amazing
vista views as well (ie. BRP, Cherahala skyway (sp)).
Have a great trip - BE SAFE!!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I went last year and stayed there for a week. That was not enough time to do all the roads I wanted to. I stayed in Maggie Valley and did a ride out of there each day in a different direction. This year we are going back again for another week and we will be going places we missed last year.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM
blackcherryglide
2nd Gear

been there twice, stayed at an ecno lodge in townsend, close to the smokies, and inexpensive and clean...included breakfast.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me with all of the wonderful riding in the area you would need at least a week to get a good taste of the area. When we go we go for about 9 days when we can and we have yet to get it all in.

Quick Reply: Smokey Mountain