Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2010 Alaska Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Alaska Trip

I got back to Virginia on Tuesday from my round trip to Alaska. Rode 11,188 miles from June 7 to July 5 (29 days). Highlights of the trip: Entire trip was SAFE and no close calls, made it all the way to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton, saw a grizzly and got to meet the HD Forum member Silver Fox and his better half, Joanne and spend the night with them at their beautiful house! Here is the link to my daily blog and pics:

http://powhatanfarm.spaces.live.com/

Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
vtxxxr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome man!!! Congrats on a safe and beautiful journey!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I had enough time to do something like that. Great trip. Maybe one of these days.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLHTCUI05
Wish I had enough time to do something like that. Great trip. Maybe one of these days.
Dave, know what you mean! I retired on June 1, so this was my retirement motorcycle trip!!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Great Pics. I lived in AK 73-78. My dream is to make the trip on a bike. I did in in a RV and car.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Ultrathunder
Cruiser

Went to Alaska July 09, it was the best M/C trip I ever took, I cant wait to do it again, learned alot the last trip, went went to Tok, then down to Valdez,,,

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice pics Jim. I looked at them before but had to check some again since this thread came up. Some day we will have to make it up to Alaska

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Nice pics Jim. I looked at them before but had to check some again since this thread came up. Some day we will have to make it up to Alaska
Thanks Hermann!! I think you and Joanne would really enjoy Alaska. Not sure I would recommend the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle for you on that beautiful Deluxe!!! It would take a beating like my Ultra did!!

Hey, you should really think about a future trip to the states and do the Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah & Smokey Mt National Parks. At least you could have a place to stay for a few nights!! You two would be very welcome here!!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a trip of a lifetime.. i was just our riding in alberta a few weeks back...cold and windy and i wasn't near the mountains...must have had some good cold weather gear eh?

and like in one of your pics...i have never saw so many frigging trailers in alberta....

Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by sonoffatboy
a trip of a lifetime.. i was just our riding in alberta a few weeks back...cold and windy and i wasn't near the mountains...must have had some good cold weather gear eh?

and like in one of your pics...i have never saw so many frigging trailers in alberta....
Yep, heated HD jacket liner and gloves. I used the jacket along with insulated long johns just about every day I was in Canada and Alaska. Coldest was 37 degrees F one morning on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. And yes, the number of RV's really surprised me, especially on the Icefields Parkway. I don't like riding with RV's!! Reminded me of midday in the summer in Yellowstone NP!!

Quick Reply: 2010 Alaska Trip