Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Skyline Drive (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/559918-skyline-drive.html)

jimmers1817 09-07-2010 08:18 AM

Skyline Drive

Planning a trip down the Skyline Drive (not enough time for BRP) next week. Other than scenic overlooks are there any not to miss things to do/sites along the Drive.

Thinking about heading east at the end and touring Montecello. According to the map there's a scenic road (Rt 20) heading back north from there. Anyone familiar with this road. Worthwhile or should we backtrack and take the Skyline back?.

neversatisfied 09-07-2010 11:36 AM

I have been on Rt 20 many times. This is one of my favorites east of Skyline and the BRP. The section between Charlottesville and Barboursville is the best part. If you travel Rt20 stop by Waugh HD in Orange Va.....good people.

jimmers1817 09-08-2010 11:58 AM

Thanks for the input. Sounds like we'll be heading back north via 20 instead of backtracking to Skyline Dr..

shagster 09-09-2010 01:47 PM

We've been out there several times. Agree completely with "Neversatisfied".
There is a Mexican restaurant right in Front Royal on a curve (I can't remember the name but we got one of the best Mexican meals ever there and it was very reasonably priced. We also found a little coffee shop right downtown that was nice and had espresso! If you go to Charlottesville go down by the river walk where all the restaurants are.........lots of good food and fun there. Gee, seems like foods on my mind! LOl We always enjoy finding great places to eat and get a beer. On the south end of Skyline Drive in Staunton. There's a great Harley shop there. Downtown there is a renovated historic hotel (Stonewall Jackson Hotel). We stayed there and loved it, very reasonably priced and beautiful. Across the street is the Old Mill Restaurant which serves great BBQ. Hope you enjoy your trip. I hope we get back out there before the season is over.

CWDoc115 09-11-2010 10:38 AM

If you are going to retrace your trip, think about heading west on I64 one exit and pick up RT 340 in Waynesboro and follow it back north enjoying the view from the valley. Have a great trip!

jimmers1817 09-16-2010 12:54 PM

Wife and I had an awesome road trip. Perfect weather and perfect time of year to go. There was hardly anyone in Shenadoah Park so we basically had 105 miles of road to ourselves. Couldn't have asked for more.

Road was smooth as glass and not a pothole along the whole course. Curves were well designed with no surprises such as decreasing radius or reverse banks.

Cellphone coverage was spotty and after the midway point we couldn't get any bars on our AT&T phone.

We did about 25 miles of the BRP just to see what it was like. Wider curves and road surface not quite as nice as SD.

Stayed 2 nights in Charlottesville at the Hampton Suites on W. Main. Pricey but well worth it imo. Friendly staff and the most comfortable beds/pillows ever. Free breakfast and shuttle into the Downtown Commons.

Headed back north via 20 to 231 to 522 into Front Royal. Beautiful riding all the way. Even though it was more miles and time we decided to take 81 to the PA TP back to NJ to avoid the 95 headache. Unfortunately I don't think it was much better. Lots of traffic and drivers in a hurry to get nowhere.

FBLJosh 09-16-2010 06:41 PM

Did you have any pictures? Sounds like a nice ride. I rode the BRP back in 2001 from beginning in Cherokee, NC to where Skyline drive and BRP meet in Waynesboro, VA. Really nice ride, lots of pics!!! Glad you had a great time.

glenalt 09-17-2010 09:48 AM

I live in Waynesboro the ending point of Skyline. I like 340 north much better than 20. More open scenic views and more to see. You can take it through Harpers Ferry around the river. Fantastic riding.

Or you could go ever further west and take 220 in WV. Lots of options and not too many bad roads on the West side of the Blue Ridge.

Have fun and watch out for animals. They are out and about.

jimmers1817 09-18-2010 07:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics from the ride on Skyline Drive. I got a chance to try out my GoPro HD camera for the first time but haven't had a chance to extract any of the video.

jimmers1817 09-18-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by glenalt (Post 7296953)
I live in Waynesboro the ending point of Skyline. I like 340 north much better than 20. More open scenic views and more to see. You can take it through Harpers Ferry around the river. Fantastic riding.

Or you could go ever further west and take 220 in WV. Lots of options and not too many bad roads on the West side of the Blue Ridge.

Have fun and watch out for animals. They are out and about.

We came down 340 into Harpers Ferry and found it to be a great road to ride on but we stayed in Charlottesville for a couple nights so we didn't want to backtrack to 340N. Maybe next time.

Animals?. Didn't see an animal the whole trip, not even roadkill:icon_smile:.