Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

California: Best Rides

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California: Best Rides

We are going to California again this summer. We are going to end up in San Diego and then go north from there. We are wanting to not miss any rides that are spectacular. We like the natural stuff, not much into the big city sites. Nice rocky beaches, rugged mountains, water falls, etc., is our thing.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You cant go wrong on any part of highway 1 between socal and san fran. Stay off 5 as much as you can.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

+1 for highway 1 especialy from Cambria to Morro Bay and maby swing into Paso Robles. It's second only to Napa for wine. Super great scenery. I live in the area and if you want a tour PM me. Great people too and not a lot of trafic. Gotta check out San Luis Obispo too.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
softail04
Road Master

lots of good riding in the san diego area pm when you can and I will give you the 25 cent tour here if you want. quit a bunch on here from the sd area

Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Another + for the PCH = CA 1 =Pacific Coast Highway. Take it all the way from Ventura to the Oregon border if you have the time. Just be sure to stay on Hwy 1 as much as possible, the 101 and 1 are the same in some places, but 1 splits off from 101 in others. Lots of rocky coastline.

If you like twisty mountain roads, hwy 88 to 89 to Lake Tahoe is fantastic. Then go north from Tahoe on 89 to Lassen National park, then west on 44 to Redding, then 299 to the coast.

For waterfalls you can't beat Yosemite, especially in the early summer. If you go to Yosemite, don't miss Glacier Point.

Be prepared for cool, even cold weather along the coast and mountain passes, and hot weather in the central valley. You could easily ride from 50 degrees on the coast to 100 degrees in the valley to 40 degrees over a 9,500 foot mountain pass in a day.

How much time do you have? It would be easy to spend a month riding great roads in CA and still not see them all.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Trek
Tourer

Great input folks! Thanks. We have seen the Yosemite/Redwoods/Giant Sequoia/Lassen Peak. And these are fantastic rides worthy of seeing again and again. We also just want to make sure we don't miss anything. We have this silly worry of driving right by something and never knowing it was there. So really appreciate the responses so far.

We are planning on eating a bucket of lobster in San Diego and then heading north along 1 as much as possible.

Thanks again folks!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice little trail and falls you may or may not know of, but would most surely pass if you didn't know....

Above Santa Barbara near Solvang

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/c...qui-falls.html

Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You in Spokane? Never been in that area but my son may make a trip up there early Jan to take on EWU ice hockey. I guess that's in Cheney?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Trek
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
You in Spokane? Never been in that area but my son may make a trip up there early Jan to take on EWU ice hockey. I guess that's in Cheney?
You bet! The Mighty Eagles! Cheney is about 15 miles from Spokane. About 10 miles from the Spokane Airport.

Not much riding up here these days though.....

Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
Nice little trail and falls you may or may not know of, but would most surely pass if you didn't know....

Above Santa Barbara near Solvang

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/c...qui-falls.html
That's a great link, found some waterfalls I didn't know existed within a couple hours of home. I will be riding to see some this spring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California: Best Rides