Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   Best Place to Stay in Milwaukee for the 110th ??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/730869-best-place-to-stay-in-milwaukee-for-the-110th.html)

scottdoege 02-06-2012 09:59 AM

Best Place to Stay in Milwaukee for the 110th ???

Starting this Thursday HOG members can reserve rooms for the 110th. Other than the Ironhorse (which is incredible, but pricey) where is the 'best" place to stay in Milwaukee that is bike friendly for the 110th?? I want to get a jump on room reservations, but don't want to accidently make a reservation at a hotel with NO PARKING and other issues.... Should I stay downtown or a little out of town ?? Any recommendations and/or advice ???

Thanks in advance,

Scott

RutRoo 02-06-2012 10:57 AM

For the HOG 25th we decided late and had to settle on a room 60 miles out.. we had to fight traffic going and coming.. going to the concerts the back ups were so bad our bikes overheated and we had to pull over.. where we pulled over we could see the stage and hear the music and the crowds.. when we got to the parking lot it was still a backup and had to park the farthest from the gate you could get and then it was so crowded we could not find seats or get close to the music area, but we could hear Billy Bob..the music in the beer garden was good but no seats.. we were better off on the side of the interstate.. the venues for the 105th wasn't so bad.. Can't wait to go back.. Riding into town with people sitting on overpasses waving and putting out signs welcoming you town..makes the effort you put into going worth it.. This time going to do some early planning..

rdb1976 02-06-2012 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by RutRoo (Post 9355818)
Riding into town with people sitting on overpasses waving and putting out signs welcoming you town..makes the effort you put into going worth it.

I grew up 45 minutes south of downtown Milwaukee and I was one of those people on the overpasses for the 90th in 1993. I was 17-years-old and wished like the dickens I was one of the riders out there on I-94. Now I can be.

scottdoege 02-07-2012 09:49 AM

Bump !!!

dub976 02-07-2012 10:59 AM

the smart azz answer would be to say: stay at your house and ride up in the morning. unless your planning on drinking all day and night.

we've done it like that for years. take the back roads up there in the morning, check everything out, have a couple of cold ones in the afternoon, hang out for a couple of more hours and ride home at night.

RutRoo 02-07-2012 01:45 PM

NO, NO, NO!!! You have to ride in blistering heat, see endless miles of cornfields, stop at all the cold beer signs and bitch the entire way. That is what great rides are made of..at least they are great 2 years later.

Nellybelle 02-09-2012 07:22 PM

The DoubleTree was awful last summer when I stayed there. I can not recommend it to anyone. We parked our bikes and was charged a valet fee. I argued about it but they didn't care. Room was not as clean as it should have been. Restaurant was slow and uncrowded. I would never stay there again.

nibroc 02-10-2012 12:47 AM

stay in racine -- a few miles out and ride 94 in--no problems

Ozoneman 02-10-2012 01:56 AM

You may not have much of a choice if you want to be near Milwaukee. I heard some of the motels were already sold out this afternoon. HOG started allowing members to make reservations this morning. One of my friends tried a motel 8 miles away and it was sold out. He did find a room close by there, but it was more expensive (about $200/night). They also are requiring a 3 day minimum. Good luck finding a place at a reasonable price if any at all.

billnourse 02-10-2012 07:21 AM

Just made reservations through HOG at the Wyndham Airport. 139. per night, said there was garage parking. Can cancel by July 29, 2013 if something happens. This was the cheapest place on HOG's list by quite a bit. Might be a dump, but I've stayed in dumps before. Usually HOG screens lodging well enough that it will be acceptable if it is on their list.

In the past, 95th and 100th, we waited to plan and had to stay 60 to 70 miles away. It was still fun and we got a lot of riding in, but after a while we had rode the same roads enough times that it was getting boring.

I can tell you for sure, you will never be in a place that treats Harley riders better. People are friendly, helpful and act like they really like having you there.

Bill