Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Las Vegas

Were going to Vegas May 5th weekend for the Super Cross finale. A group of us are going to rent some baggers for a day to check out the area. Can anyone tell me where a killer area to ride with good scenery and watering holes every so often. We were wanting to go out to the Hoover dam but I think its all freeway riding. Dont want to ride freeway. Is there any good backroads to the dam? Let me know. Thanks

Stone

Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
USAF1999
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stone, that is a prob with riding in the Vegas area...mostly highway. There is Valley of Fire that is a good loop that will take you on the edge of Lake Mead and you can get to the dam that way...and its a good ride with good scenery. But the best ride out there is the Death Valley loop!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I've made that ride from Vegas to Hoover Dam before. Tours of the Dam are pretty interesting/fascinating as well. I rode the freeway and that's pretty scenic in itself. If I remember right, it was about a 45 minute ride from Vegas to the Dam. Surface streets, who knows.

Here's a couple pics I shot at the dam:

I was just going to mention though, if any of you have a Garmin GPS that they can bring, they have a feature that will allow you to plot your course bypassing freeways. Otherwise you could go to mapquest.com and plot your own course.

While in Vegas a nice local scenic ride would be a cruise out to Bonnie Springs Ranch. They have a pretty cool old western bar/restaurant with good food. It's like a little western town with various stores and leather shops, etc. Here's their link: http://www.bonniesprings.com/index.html

Enjoy

Old 03-31-2012, 03:58 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys I will look at a map. How long of ride around Mead?

Stone

Old 03-31-2012, 05:41 PM
weaver
Advanced

check out red rock cayn.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
TIslander
6th Gear

was in Vegas January went to red rock canyon then headed up Spring mountain stopped in at a great biker bar at the top of the mountain then headed down to Pharump and on to Death Valley. It was a great ride, was pretty much alone on the road from Pharump to Death Valley. the mountains and desert were awesome.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
TIslander
6th Gear

also rode down to lake Havasu. went down on the California side and back up on the Arizona side and over Hoover dam. a nice ride but alot of highway

Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
TIslander
6th Gear

btw rented from eagle rider and had great service. I had a raincheck from a trip to Miami and thought they would give me a hard time when I wanted to use it but there was no problem. was treated very well

Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

If you rent a bike you will typically need to hit freeway to get outside the city, otherwise you’re riding in the city, hence traffic. A couple of suggestions…

1) You can hit Las Vegas Blvd (just south of the airport) and take it south toward the Cali border. You will end up in Jean and then jump on I-15, go south and get off on Nipton Rd (Rt 164) heading east towards Searchlight (Rt 95). Once you get to searchlight you can hand a left and go back toward Boulder City then to Hoover Dam or go right and work yourself to Laughlin. You will find some decent scenery and watering holes.

2) You can take Rt95 toward Indian Springs and get off on Rt 157 and head towards Mt. Charleston. You can go out to the lodge and then up to the top, back down and then wherever from there. When you come down the other side you’re on Rt 156, hang a right and back to 95.

3) You can cruise up I-15 and get off and head to the Valley of Fire and then out to Lake Mead Blvd and head out to the lake. There are a few ways you can cruise around the lake.

4) You can take Charleston Blvd and cruise around Red Rock. Once you hit Blue Diamond Rd you can head out to Pahrump. If you go through Pahrump you will be heading towards Rt 95 and that will bring you out where you can head back towards Vegas. Also, when you’re in the general Pahrump area you can pickup roads that will take you to Death Valley. Yes, in Pahrump prostitution is legal, just saying… BTW, the Red Rock HD dealer is less than 10 miles from Red Rock itself.

This isn’t an inclusive list but will give you some ideas. BTW, they are all nice rides and you won't have any problems finding watering holes. Vegas Baby!

Last edited by MADHOG; 04-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

If you ride out to red rock make the loop back to 95 and head toward Vegas. Stop for lunch in indian springs. Only 5 bucks for steak and eggs at the casion. I've eaten there 15+ times and always good. You may get to see the. Testing out the Drones at the Air force base too. They also have a simulated mosque and town built on the base you can see from the road.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas