Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Never leave home without it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM
POW-MIA
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never leave home without it?

The kids have finally reached the age where we're pretty certain the house will still be standing if we leave them alone for a few days. Now we're looking for some advice on our first 5 day road trip. We will be headed to Ocean City for Bike week on the 13th and returning the 17th. I guess the main question for those of you with much more experience than us is, what do we absolutely need to find room for? The girlfriend is already wondering how she's gonna get everything she "needs" in one saddlebag. Keep in mind I don't have a tour pack just a small bag for the luggage rack and whatever space I have left on my side. Also any advice on explaining the term "bare necessities" to the better half would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
tombeving
Road Master

Here's what I can get in one saddle bag on my Ultra. 2 pair of pants, 3 long sleeve t-shirts, 3short sleeve t-shirts 1 long sleeve dress shirt, 6 pair of socks, 6 pair of underwear, shaving kit and a pair of walking shoes.
The trick is to roll-up a tee shirt, socks and underwear and place them in a one quart zip lock bag. Make sure you get all the air out. Every night just grab a bag and you have your clothes for the next day. Dirty clothes go back in the zip lock bag. I use colored rubber bands to tell the difference between clean and dirty clothes.
As far as tools, take the basics along with a tire repair kit, duct tape, electrical tape, a coat hanger, and long cable tires.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM
K9Tamer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duct tape. Fixes just about everything including an over talkative wife. It's like a Swiss army knife in a roll.

Last edited by K9Tamer; 09-03-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

easiest way to get the point across?

YOU pack the absolute least amount of things you need, let her pack everything she wants, then let her realize after the trip that she didn't need half the **** she brought.

your next trip will be much more pleasant.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM
iamfree
Cruiser

a duffel bag stuffed with soft clothing only and positioned vertically on her lap (and bungee'd around her waist) would provide excellent back support for you. just thinking out loud here.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Minimum chopped tourpack or a bag with the same or greater cubic capacity. Otherwise one or both of you are going to be miserable.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cell phone and credit card.

Might be kind of handy to have some zip ties also, in case the dreaded shift linkage comes apart.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

You are going to have to draw a line in the dirt. She must limit her wardrobe to no more than six pair of shoes.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give her a gallon size zip lock and tell her "Here is your suit case!"

Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Two riding on one bike does pose some serious luggage issues.
For years, we managed to get by with a set of throw-over saddlebags and an extra mini-duffle bag stapped on the luggage rack.
When I had an FXSTC, I'd attach "support bars) to the sissy bag using u-bolts and rubber insulation to protect the chrome which made it possible to carry a larger bag.
As time passed, I figured that it would be best if I bought a trailer (which my wife fought me on) but after the first trip with the trailer, she loved it!

Now, she has her own bike (Heritage) and between the saddlebags and a detachable tour pack/backrest solo set-up and she has plenty of room for her stuff....most of the time!

A few suggestions:

Women are better packers than men.
Give 'em a bag and say "fill it up"and that's it!

Pack all your clothes in garbage bags(or other plastic bags).
Wet clothes suck!

I use bike trips to get rid of older socks, underwear and T-shirts.
Use the old stuff and toss it when it's dirty or if you think they're worth it, UPS them home.

Buy only what you need on a trip and have what you buy shipped to your home. Most gift shops and even some larger motels will handle the shipping for you.

Ride safe and have a good trip.

Quick Reply: Never leave home without it?