Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

GPS for cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GPS for cross country trip

As we continue to plan our cross US trip next Summer, I am wondering what peoples opinions are about using GPS for pre-planning and then navigating en-route. We have done some long trips, never used a GPS and used Google maps for route planning and then wrote out instructions to put in the map bag. I found that a bit labor intensive to do each night and would rather have most routes planned and stored in a GPS unit. Hubby disagrees! I am also trying to make the point that a GPS will help find gas stations, motels etc. And it would also help if we come across closed routes or road works and need to find an alternate route. What units do people use and / or recommend?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

I've ridden all across this country, and I believe I have also ridden in every state including Alaska and Hawaii using road maps and/or a Road Atlas.

We now have a GPS for every vehicle and I just got one on my new S/E Ultra (it's never been on the mount).

Obviously, I don't think that it's imperative to have a GPS but the newer units are so inexpensive and compact these days that it makes sense to have one.

Even if you just carry it in a saddlebag you can use it when you need it and then put it away.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been using a GPS for a few years now on long rides. I study Google maps and make an Excel spreadsheet for each trip, one page per day. I list the estimated fuel stops and way points on it and I do a screen shot of the Google map for that day. I print it and throw it in the tourpak. What I am getting at is I am familiar with my route.

All I load into the GPS is the locations of the motels I have booked rooms at. When I depart in the morning for the day's riding, I usually just enter the name of the town for the first fuel stop or way point. At each stop, I enter the next one. My Garmin routes are almost identical to what Google has. I have been doing this for the past 3-4 years and it works fine for me.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have found that a GPS is kind of a big hassle to operate on a motorcycle. I pre plan the trip using a map program, Google etc. actually the trip planner on the Harley web site is pretty good. I already know where my fuel stops are before I even leave, looking for fairly brand name gas stations, because you aren't going to just buy gas, you will need the restroom, a cherry fried pie, cup of coffe, whatever. I put the trip on a 3x5 card, a sticky note on the windshield, something that works for you, using simple instructions like " I10 Juntion, 84 Menard, 87 XXXX, only writing down the turns or highway changes for the whole day. That said, I put the Garmin GPS app on my iPhone, $49.95, it works just exactly like the high dollar GPS I bought several years ago, so if needed, I still have a GPS. It is also one less charger and wires to carry and you don't need to mount it , and I have found it is almost impossible to see the GPS screen in direct sunlight, like when it is mounted on the handle bars. If necessary, load the route, or routes into the GPS app for a back up. I don't even turn the app on unless I want to see somethnig. Also I try to stay in smaller towns, it makes restaurants and hotels much easier to find. If you have to stay in cities, get the hotel on the leaving side of town, so you don't have to fight traffic when you leave the next morning. I have also found that almost any town of any size, I mean down to like a population of 4 or 5 hundred will have a gas station. The simpler the better, and probably safer.

Last edited by harleyflyboy; 12-01-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I started using a GPS some years ago and am lost without it in bigger places anymore. I have all the info I need to negoiate a big city, find what I am looking for and get directions all at eye level. My GPS even tells me what lane to be in, and shows a picture of the highway on the screen. Plus my GPS plays music through the radio.

For me this takes the stress out of getting somewhere and I have a much more relaxing trip. I don't have to stop and look at a map or hand drawn directions, or stop somewhere and ask, or make a wrong turn and end up in a ghetto I have no business in like happened in Milwaukee a few years ago. Just get on, go, and do what "Australia Karen" tells me to.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 12-01-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, nowadays a GPS is a great tool to have on long trips. I recommend one as well. Why not use modern day tools?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Brit Biker
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great replies - Thanks. Will definately get one. I am curious to know what GPS units people use? Are there any stand outs for use on a bike?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit Biker
...I am curious to know what GPS units people use? Are there any stand outs for use on a bike?
Consider one that's weatherproof (or at least resistant), can handle the vibration, and will accept routes/maps downloaded from your PC. One that has internal battery source might be helpful as well.

For me, I use a marine chart plotter (Garmin 478). It does all the above plus has XM radio and color moving radar.

They are not cheap however...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't do a trip without one anymore. The Zumo 660 is what we currently use, because it came with the bike. Love it. If I were buying one it would be the 665, because it shows weather also. Tons of information in a very small unit.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My last 2 big trips ( about 4500 miles / 17 day each) I planned it for a couple of months..

It was very detailed on which roads and locations I was visiting.
It was a Railroad museum,bridges, tunnels all thru the Appalachians.
10 states

I used waypoints and marked map for campgrounds, "stealth camps", Motels, even a few man vs food and diners drive in and dives eats

I basiclly had plan A, B and C

I used quite of bit of it because of weather, detours, and a few days I was ahead of my schedule, so I stopped in one area for a few days...

It was somewhat a pain planning but it was worth it

Quick Reply: GPS for cross country trip