Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Atlanta / DC loop

Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Atlanta / DC loop

Hoping to get some real local knowledge nuggets here.

Every year I take out a couple of weeks and come over to the US to tour on a bike. The plan is to circumnavigate North America, main unknowns being how long and what route - I chose to make that up as I go along.

This year the only key fixed points are - start in Atlanta, end of week 1 in DC, end of week 2 back in Atlanta.

A couple of years back I spent 2 weeks in the Smokies, doing all the key rides (tail, Cherohala etc) - talk about a great time. This time I think the broad plan will be BRP or north thereof (West Virginia) on the Atlanta DC leg then possibly Deleware coast and central Virginia / north NC on way back. Really keen to take in some civil war history whilst there as well.

Looking forward to this trip and love riding in Gods Country for Motorcycles.

I ave Mad Maps for the area, problem is they basically just say "ride wherever you want, it's all awesome".

Anyway, would live to get some local insights on great routes, towns, pubs, places to stay and eat. My general preference is to avoid big lights / big city but I also do love live music

Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try MotorcycleRoads.com -- http://www.motorcycleroads.com/ You can pick whatever state you'll be passing through and look for rider-recommended routes.

JL

Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I totally agree with the BRP. It starts in Smokies and runs close to DC, with the end being called Skyline Drive in Luray. Luray has a great cave you should checkout BTW. You say END week one in DC? OK, from Luray I'd make my way to Harper's Ferry I think. It's historic and there are great roads. Then I'd make my way over to Gettysburg. Try to go through Catoctin Park and Cunningham Falls Park. From Gettysburg I'd say head over to York, PA so you can see where most Harley's roll off the assembly line. Rt 30 goes directly from Gettysburg to York but there is probably a more interesting road. York is about 2 hours North of DC. That probably isn't a full week. I'm starting to think maybe Lancaster should be between Gettysburg and York.

If you have the time for some light hiking/walking in DC, you can checkout the C&O Canal. IMO Great Falls Park in Potomac, MD is the best spot.

For the ride back: Beaches? Hmmm...I guess you can take 50 to Ocean City, MD. Or map Rehobeth, DE which starts off on 50 till after you cross the Chesapeake Bay. Then you can take 13 down to Virginia Beach which takes you across a 10 mile bridge/tunnel. Then from Virginia Beach make your way to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, b4 heading back to Atlanta. If you are a scuba diver the Outer Banks is considered the Graveyard of the Atlantic and the Gulf Stream gets pretty close to the coast. Great wreck diving.

Last edited by Dew Me; 08-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dew Me
I totally agree with the BRP. It starts in Smokies and runs close to DC, with the end being called Skyline Drive in Luray. Luray has a great cave you should checkout BTW. You say END week one in DC? OK, from Luray I'd make my way to Harper's Ferry I think. It's historic and there are great roads. Then I'd make my way over to Gettysburg. Try to go through Catoctin Park and Cunningham Falls Park. From Gettysburg I'd say head over to York, PA so you can see where most Harley's roll off the assembly line. Rt 30 goes directly from Gettysburg to York but there is probably a more interesting road. York is about 2 hours North of DC. That probably isn't a full week. I'm starting to think maybe Lancaster should be between Gettysburg and York.

If you have the time for some light hiking/walking in DC, you can checkout the C&O Canal. IMO Great Falls Park in Potomac, MD is the best spot.

For the ride back: Beaches? Hmmm...I guess you can take 50 to Ocean City, MD. Or map Rehobeth, DE which starts off on 50 till after you cross the Chesapeake Bay. Then you can take 13 down to Virginia Beach which takes you across a 10 mile bridge/tunnel. Then from Virginia Beach make your way to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, b4 heading back to Atlanta. If you are a scuba diver the Outer Banks is considered the Graveyard of the Atlantic and the Gulf Stream gets pretty close to the coast. Great wreck diving.
Great info here, will study on my maps tonight. Do you know if they have a visitor centre at York?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Great info here, will study on my maps tonight. Do you know if they have a visitor centre at York?
Yup, sure do! Much more than a visitor center! At one point they even had a full museum in York, till they opened up that new fancy one in Milwaukee. They do first come, first served Factory tours all weekdays. They are free. If you call ahead and make a reservation you can even do something called a Steal Toe Tour. I forget what it costs but it isn't much. I think they also give you something to offset cost? It is a much more in depth tour I'm told. I've done Steel Toe in Milwaukee but haven't YET done the York Steel Toe. If you happen to be through there between Sept 19-21 and are a HOG member they have a big Open House Event. I went last year and I think the only time they checked if I was HOG is when I picked up an event pin.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Oh, and September 13-16 is a pretty big Bike Week in Ocean City, MD if that is when you are rolling through.

Oh, I'll also add you don't need steel toe boots for that tour. They will supply steel toe straps that go over your shoes.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Yup, sure do! Much more than a visitor center! At one point they even had a full museum in York, till they opened up that new fancy one in Milwaukee. They do first come, first served Factory tours all weekdays. They are free. If you call ahead and make a reservation you can even do something called a Steal Toe Tour. I forget what it costs but it isn't much. I think they also give you something to offset cost? It is a much more in depth tour I'm told. I've done Steel Toe in Milwaukee but haven't YET done the York Steel Toe. If you happen to be through there between Sept 19-21 and are a HOG member they have a big Open House Event. I went last year and I think the only time they checked if I was HOG is when I picked up an event pin.
Looks like the York visit is a definite must do, thanks for the great info