Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Possible Route for 2014 Cross Country trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:12 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Possible Route for 2014 Cross Country trip

In the planning stages of my next cross country venture which will likely happen in mid June. I'll give myself a couple of weeks to complete the trip and I'll be traveling solo on my Ultra Limited. In terms of riding conditions preference, I'm not a huge fan of twisties/switchbacks or high elevations. Desolate is okay...to a degree. I did an east to west cross country trip this past May and one of my favorite states was Iowa...flat and farms as far as the I could see...loved it. I'm looking for opinions/tips/advice on the route, weather concerns, so on and so forth. Thank you.
Dave

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to paste just my 2014 route. Go to to top right of Ride Planner and click "4 saved roads", then "cross country 2014").

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...idePlanner.jsp

Last edited by DaveNBPT; 10-19-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

My apologies. Link not working. End user error!

Old 10-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
In the planning stages of my next cross country venture...
I, too, really enjoy riding most places west of the Mississippi.

I've taken Rt 6 across the northern part of Penn. Central Ohio and Indiana are states I just try to get across without getting hit.

Normally I stop in Springfield, Il and visit Lincoln's tomb.

then on across Iowa via the Lincoln Highway

From there northern Nebraska along the Outlaw Trail is a nice ride

and Western Nebraska getting into the Badlands

Central Nebraska has the Sand Hills and South Dakota has, well, a lot of wide open spaces.

I try to ride out there every year - the east is just an assault on the senses that I don't need anymore.

Good luck and ride safe!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

All right. I think I've figured how to attach my route here. If not, I'm not sure what to do. Anyway, I'm looking for input on the route...thanks.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...2&locale=en_US

Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take a closer look at it later tonight, but just a heads up that the link works great!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Looks pretty good. Looks like you're taking 2 across. I'll just say having ridden across from Idaho to Duluth on 2 and 200, I prefer 200. It seems to have even less traffic.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 AM
V-Man
Supporter

Most of the trip you're taking I've not ridden, but I do have a couple of comments.
  • When you get to West Glacier, MT, ride some of Going to the Sun Road - at least the stretch along Lake McDonald. It doesn't sound like mountain riding is your thing, but you could also take that road through the mountains all the way to East Glacier, then take 89/49 south and hook back up to highway 2. Going to the Sun Road is one of the most spectacular pieces of mountain road I've ever seen. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart. And in mid-June, there will likely still be snow near the summit.
  • Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are beautiful - you'll love that.
  • The stretch of highway 2 along the lake to St. Ignace, MI is gorgeous. I've taken that trip several times.
Looks like a fabulous route - can't wait to hear the report!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Looks pretty good. Looks like you're taking 2 across. I'll just say having ridden across from Idaho to Duluth on 2 and 200, I prefer 200. It seems to have even less traffic.
Picking up RT 200 is a distinct possibility. Less traffic is always nice. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by V-Man
Most of the trip you're taking I've not ridden, but I do have a couple of comments.
  • When you get to West Glacier, MT, ride some of Going to the Sun Road - at least the stretch along Lake McDonald. It doesn't sound like mountain riding is your thing, but you could also take that road through the mountains all the way to East Glacier, then take 89/49 south and hook back up to highway 2. Going to the Sun Road is one of the most spectacular pieces of mountain road I've ever seen. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart. And in mid-June, there will likely still be snow near the summit.
  • Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are beautiful - you'll love that.
  • The stretch of highway 2 along the lake to St. Ignace, MI is gorgeous. I've taken that trip several times.
Looks like a fabulous route - can't wait to hear the report!
I've heard of Going to the Sun Road and I'll bet it's beautiful, but given that it isn't for the faint of heart, it's probably not a good road for me.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 PM
V-Man
Supporter

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I've heard of Going to the Sun Road and I'll bet it's beautiful, but given that it isn't for the faint of heart, it's probably not a good road for me.
That beginning stretch along Lake McDonald is no problem. It's very flat and runs right along the lake, with woods on the other side. Very pretty.

Quick Reply: Possible Route for 2014 Cross Country trip