Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need some Arizona help

Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some Arizona help

Wifey and I are leaving Las Vegas on Monday 4/7. We want to take in nice weather and good riding while seeing some sites new to us. We have never been in AZ before. Thinking day one will take us by Hoover Dam, south to
Laughlin, then south to Lake Havasu for the night.

After that we have no plan. Thinking it would be cool to go south to Tombstone then maybe back north via 191 (Devils Highway) or any other route that is a good choice.

We need to be back in Las Vegas mid to late afternoon on Sat. the 12th. Are there any places or cities especially near the border that we should avoid? Any suggestions on places to see or check out. We are not hell bent to get maximum miles, we love to stop and see cool stuff too. Is there any other than typical touring preparations we should be aware of for AZ this time of year? We can afford resort type lodging if it is a must see but we typically stay mid level and love all kinds of foods and bars. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Looking forward to a great trip. Thanks in advance. EW

Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

One of my other favorites is 89A south. Sedona is a great place, but reservation required. Then over and up to Jerome. Then to Prescott.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:28 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Two nice local rides are Red Rock Canyon(best in early-mid morning due to the way sunlight strikes the landscape) which is just west of the city. The other is Valley of Fire located s little ways southeast.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:10 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Just did a four day loop from Vegas to Az three weeks ago..... when you drop south out of the Hoover Dam, don't miss stopping in Chloride, AZ.... cool town that time forgot.... Eat at Digger Dave's ...great people , great food, ( tell them the guys from Maine sent ya)....

Also, a great road into Prescott is the 97/96 routes, I think..windy, smooth, beautiful country.... stayed in Sedona one night and up through Cave Creek Canyon towards Flagstaff is a great run...

Oatman was cool... donkeys roaming the streets...... Jerome was a neat place as well....

oh.... those Harleys won't let you set the cruise control at 105.....

Enjoy!!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hoofnhog
J

Also, a great road into Prescott is the 97/96 routes, I think..windy, smooth, beautiful country.... stayed in Sedona one night and up through Cave Creek Canyon towards Flagstaff is a great run...
That's Oak Creek Canyon that's N of Sedona. Cave Creek is in the NE Phoenix area.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Tombstone is a cool place and worth seeing. While in that area you might consider Bisbee.

However, if it were me, I would go from Havasu to Wickenburg and over the mountain to Prescott, and then on to Jerome. From there go to Sedona and up to Flagstaff (via 89A) and then home.

Between Laughlin and Havasu is the great little ghost town/tourist town of Oatman, AZ. It's not really out of the way, and definitely worth the visit. Have fun feeding the burros that freely roam the streets.

Bill

Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM
EricW
Cruiser

Thanks guys for all the responses. I am working in an area with chitty coverage so I haven't had the ability to look at the map with your suggestions. I hope to be outta here tomorrow night. I will put the trip together Wednesday and post it up here for comment. Will lodging be an issue in AZ this time of year during the week. I'd like to ride n see a we go but I can book ahead at estimated destinations if that is the smart thing to do. Thanks again. EW

Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

If you are going through Phoenix and want a good ride and great lunch. Take I10 to 60E and go to Mesa. Follow the signs and go to Tortilla Flats on 88. It is through some Mountain passes and an old rest at the end. It is one way in and one way out (unless you want to take your bike through soft dirt roads.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Default Updated routes?

OK, here is what I'm working on so far.

Mon 4/7 leave Las Vegas for Hoover Dam, Laughlin, ending in Lake Havasu.
Any lodging recommendations in Lake Havasu?

Tue 4/8 Havasu to Tucson - St 95 south to Parker, then what? 1. 63 West to US 95 then south to Blythe then 78 to I 8. 2. Stay on St 95 to US 95 on to I 8. 3. 72 to 60 to I 10 to 85 on to I 8. I am at a loss here on the best ride route going in to Tucson? Lodging/food recommendations in Tucson?

Wed 4/9 leave Tucson on I 10 to Vail then 83 south to 82 east in to Tombstone. Then 80 south through Bisbee to Douglas to get on 191 north to Safford for the night.

Thur 4/10 At this point I think we are best to work NW toward Prescott via Globe, Payson, Camp Verde. Is the 87/260 between Payson and Camp Verde a good paved road or should I re-route? I think I will save the 191 north route for later in the year. Looks freezing at night and only up to low 60's at best, wifey would shiver. Any Prescott lodging or attractions we should see?

Fri 4/11 Thinking of going NE to Sedona for a look around then N to I 40 and west back to Laughlin for the night. Any suggestions on this stretch?

Sat 4/12 Leave Laughlin west on 163 to 95 then north to Boulder City. Then along Lake Mead on Lake Shore dr. and west through the Valley of Fire to 93 and back south to Las Vegas in time for dinner and a show before wifey fly's out on Sunday.

That's what I have so far. Am I missing anything big or taking any bad roads? any suggestions are appreciated. EW

Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

If you want you can take 95 to Yuma then I8 to Gila Bend where you turn south on 85 through Ajo, turn onto 86 at Why and that will take you to I10 in south Tucson (after a little jog on 19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some Arizona help