Rockford Fosgate Audio High performance motorcycle audio systems, purpose built for Harley-Davidson.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Rear Left Speaker

Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM
MPD12
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blown Rear Left Speaker

I’m at a loss I had my local bike shop install both front & rear Rockford kits on my 2018 Road Glide Special. The head unit was flashed as recommended. The bike has been on the road since April and has blown the rear left speaker twice. Bass on the head unit is set right in the middle & Treble is set 2 higher than middle setting.

I have maybe had the volume up between 1/2 & 3/4

Any suggestions what may be causing the issue. The shop that installed my system has done many of these kits with no other complaints.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

What are the amp settings? I'd start there. RF has recommended settings for the amp. I'd check and see if it's even close.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, who did the flash and was it the correct flash? It is my understanding that there are 4 different options for the HD tech to flash and if they chose the wrong one it could cause issues.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Stroked16
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Dave
What are the amp settings? I'd start there. RF has recommended settings for the amp. I'd check and see if it's even close.

start with this. I turned my RF amp down compared to what RF recommended after I blew a speaker the first day.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
MPD12
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the amp yesterday & adjusted the settings to less what RF recommended. Hopefully that solves the problem. The flash flattened out the head unit eq & added fade ability

Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Just a follow-up in here. Rockford Fosgate did revise its amplifier setup recommendations based on the number of users that are driving their system at full output and blowing-up speakers. You can find the summary here:

Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

Funny I am reading this post. Today I noticed my left rear was toast. Is there any kind of factory warranty on the speakers? I had my kit installed at the Myrtle Beach rally May 2018.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:12 PM
august santana
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD12
I’m at a loss I had my local bike shop install both front & rear Rockford kits on my 2018 Road Glide Special. The head unit was flashed as recommended. The bike has been on the road since April and has blown the rear left speaker twice. Bass on the head unit is set right in the middle & Treble is set 2 higher than middle setting.

I have maybe had the volume up between 1/2 & 3/4

Any suggestions what may be causing the issue. The shop that installed my system has done many of these kits with no other complaints.

Thanks,
Pete
I have had the same problem...same bike same side. I am on my 4th replacement. I am interested to know if you find a solution. I will let you know if I find something (my 4th blew out yesterday) My local stereo shop has been amazing and replaced each time without any push back.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Blue Dragon 2215
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by august santana
I have had the same problem...same bike same side. I am on my 4th replacement. I am interested to know if you find a solution. I will let you know if I find something (my 4th blew out yesterday) My local stereo shop has been amazing and replaced each time without any push back.
You can try drilling holes around the shroud, to let more airflow in, that might help.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:58 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

I got the speaker kit with the TM400X4ad and the install kit. When it's functioning it sounds great. However.......

I have lost tweeters in 4 speakers now. The first time it was the set, I think a faulty DSR1 may have been the cause of that. After that I ditched the DSR and just use the amp and Harley head unit. One of the speakers (left side) has lost the tweeter 2 times again. The other side and the Mmatts in the fairing are holding up just fine. I have the gains turned down a bit from where the directions tell me to and still seem to be smoking tweets. That being said, I used the settings in the instructions and then backed it off. Apparently....there are other instructions online that says to turn the gain to 12 o'clock which is close to where I am at but think I am closer to 1:00 o'clock. The instructions that came with the speaker lid kit had me at about 2-3 o'clock.

I am going to pull the fairing and drop it back to 12 and hopefully I won't have to go through this exercise again. They match these speakers with this kit, they should do a better job handling the power that the TM400X4as puts out.

I find it odd that it's smoking tweeters and not the mid-woofer part of the speaker. That is what I assumed was the weak link but the midrange cone is working fine still.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown Rear Left Speaker