Rockford Fosgate Audio High performance motorcycle audio systems, purpose built for Harley-Davidson.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rockford Fosgate Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Laybac101
I bought the RFKHD kit and need some additional pigtails. Does RF sell them?
Unfortunately we do not sell individual parts for the RFKHD wiring kits. You may want to contact our support group at 1-800-669-9899 to discuss what parts you need and options for getting them.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by jpatton.412
So, you do have it now with the TMS69BL14 kit right? But the kit of for saddle bag lids that do not have current speakers installed.

So, I also have another question for RF - If I have the HD14-TKIT and also added the TMS65 to the rear tour-pak (Amp, 2 front and 2 tour-pak 6.5" speakers). What needs done special to add the TMS69BL14 saddle bag lid kit speakers?

Description on the RF Site has:
Plug-N-Play Operation not Compatible With Tour-Pak® Speakers (contact support)
Hi jpatton,

1) The TMS69BL14 kit comes with two 6"x9" speakers, two adaptor rings, two retrofit grilles, and two templates for modifying your existing bag lids. The 6"x9" speakers can be purchased separately as the TMS69.

2) The rear speaker harness needs to be modified. You'll be running the rear channels of the amplifier at 2-ohms. You can contact technical support group at 1-800-669-9899 for details on how to modify the harness if you choose to do so.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by niteghost
I've been researching for weeks and I think I've decided to upgrade my '17 HD-SG with the HD14 TKIT and a TMS69BL14. But, I'm still confused about a few things I hope you can help with.

1- The HD Flash, do i need it or not? If not can you confirm the proper amp config. I need with no flash i.e. radio as it comes from the factory, there is some conflicting info in your videos and install advisory? If I do need it can you confirm the proper amp config? Should I use the "Magic Box" with no flash, what amp config with that set up? Just FYI - I have a feeling that my HD dealer wont have a clue about the flash, haven't talked to them about it yet, but if past experience holds true they will be a PIA about it.

2 - If I install the HD14 TKIT first dose it come with the wiring harness for the rear bag speakers that I can preemptively install? I would like to install all the wiring for the front and rear kits together so that I only have to tear the bike down once? This would make the TMS69BL14 install basically mounting the speakers into the bag lids and plugging them in.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you guys can give me.
Hi niteghost,

Thank you for researching Rockford Fosgate for your audio brand! You have great questions, so I'll try best to answer them:

1) FLASHING. The Issue on 2014 and newer Harley-Davidson® factory audio systems, is the “high fidelity” EQ Curve (red plot below). This EQ Curve takes advantage of the system’s low power capability by excessively “boosting” the audio. Unfortunately, this prevents you from upgrading an audio system for better dynamic range and sound quality, since adding an amplified system will cause excessive clipping or speaker popping.

Rockford Fosgate's recommended solution is "Flashing" the radio to reset the EQ curve back to a near “flat” response (green plot below). This is the simplest and least expensive method for solving the issue and eliminates unnecessary components. This method is the most practical because it preserves signal integrity, resulting in maximum dynamic range and voltage potential from the source unit for optimum sound quality.

Technically, the "line levelers" and "magic box" solutions attempt to do the same exact thing, but passively. It doesn't replicate the green plot below, but it's good enough. It doesn't matter what amplifier you use, because it's all the same issue with flattening the EQ curve. Unfortunately, factory H-D® technicians can no longer flash radios to eliminate the EQ. However, Rockford Fosgate has been selling the Centurion-Audio VCM-TR4 flasher to authorized dealers (this is the same exact device that service centers use) that allows installers to flash Harley entertainment systems with the correct software needed to add aftermarket audio.

Factory EQ (red) versus reflashed EQ (green).

2) The Power THD14-TKIT comes with a rear wiring harness for TOUR-PAK speakers only. If you are using bag lids instead, you'll want to wait until you get both kits because you'll need to run a new cable from the rear output of the amplifier to the bag lids.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rockford Fosgate:
Johnny Goodlife (03-05-2018), JU2012FXDWG (03-10-2019)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by jpatton.412
Any one know if RF still monitors the threads or their Inbox?
Yes, sorry. Sturgis is a HUGE event and we've been working diligently on all the new bag lid products (web, video, etc). I have replied to your posts.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 AM
TheGENERAL412
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Rockford Fosgate
Hi jpatton,

1) The TMS69BL14 kit comes with two 6"x9" speakers, two adaptor rings, two retrofit grilles, and two templates for modifying your existing bag lids. The 6"x9" speakers can be purchased separately as the TMS69.

2) The rear speaker harness needs to be modified. You'll be running the rear channels of the amplifier at 2-ohms. You can contact technical support group at 1-800-669-9899 for details on how to modify the harness if you choose to do so.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:53 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=Rockford Fosgate;16554962]Hi niteghost,

Thank you for researching Rockford Fosgate for your audio brand! You have great questions, so I'll try best to answer them:

1) FLASHING. The Issue on 2014 and newer Harley-Davidson® factory audio systems, is the “high fidelity” EQ Curve (red plot below). This EQ Curve takes advantage of the system’s low power capability by excessively “boosting” the audio. Unfortunately, this prevents you from upgrading an audio system for better dynamic range and sound quality, since adding an amplified system will cause excessive clipping or speaker popping.

Rockford Fosgate's recommended solution is "Flashing" the radio to reset the EQ curve back to a near “flat” response (green plot below). This is the simplest and least expensive method for solving the issue and eliminates unnecessary components. This method is the most practical because it preserves signal integrity, resulting in maximum dynamic range and voltage potential from the source unit for optimum sound quality.

Technically, the "line levelers" and "magic box" solutions attempt to do the same exact thing, but passively. It doesn't replicate the green plot below, but it's good enough. It doesn't matter what amplifier you use, because it's all the same issue with flattening the EQ curve. Unfortunately, factory H-D® technicians can no longer flash radios to eliminate the EQ. However, Rockford Fosgate has been selling the Centurion-Audio VCM-TR4 flasher to authorized dealers (this is the same exact device that service centers use) that allows installers to flash Harley entertainment systems with the correct software needed to add aftermarket audio.

Factory EQ (red) versus reflashed EQ (green).

So, is this the latest recommendation to make the RF HD14 Tkit work in a 16 hd Street Glide special, I’m looking at that system for my wife’s bike, from what I’m reading above, it appears to be more complex than originally thought. Being in Minnesota it doesn’t appear that you have any dealers close to flash the HU correctly.
It seems like every time I read a current thread on this it gets more complicated, I read one thing that says it works and then I read a more recent thread that says no it won’t work and then back to working and then back to flashing something different and on and on it goes!
So I guess the direct question is, if I install the RF HD14 TKIT in a 16 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special what will I have to do to make your system work correctly without any loss of function or features in the HD Infotainment system on the bike?

A co worker installed your system (HD14 TKIT) in Sturgis last summer and lost some functions in his system, I don’t know who did the install, RF or a independent seller, not saying anything bad about RF, just saying.

As much as I don’t want to spend my money on a Boom Audio system it’s looking like it more and more.

Thank you for your assistance!

Sorry if this comes off like I’m irritated, I kinda am, I’ve been reading everything I can find on line, maybe that’s the issue, maybe I should just call you (RF) directly.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Blue Dragon 2215
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On your Street Glide, the only function you will lose will be "auto-volume" when you flash the infotainment system. Your EQ functions are reduced, as both of these are tied into the Curve that RF mentioned. All the tuning is done on the amp during the install.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Dragon 2215
On your Street Glide, the only function you will lose will be "auto-volume" when you flash the infotainment system. Your EQ functions are reduced, as both of these are tied into the Curve that RF mentioned. All the tuning is done on the amp during the install.
Thank you, so what flash would it be flashed to, currently, I believe it is “ no amp two speakers “ currently all stock configuration.

Thanks

PS. Your bike must have been the one featured in the install vids for some of the upgrades, lid speakers......

Last edited by jdw1; 12-15-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Blue Dragon 2215
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On the VCM-TR4 flasher, it would be listed as 2speakers - upper fairing/1 amp...

As I am sure you have seen on other threads, the standard HD flashers do not offer this option, this option is in the aftermarket flasher from Centurion. I believe there may be other flasher units, but this is the brand that RF uses. The flash option would need to done with any addition of amp, excluding the Boom system, this is not RF specific.

PS. Yes, my bike has been used for testing & the vids & used at a lot of the shows for demo. Thanks for noticing

The following users liked this post:
jdw1 (12-15-2017)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a stock 2010 ultra classic and I'm considering making some improvements to the audio system starting with speakers then maybe amp what would you suggest?

Quick Reply: New Rockford Fosgate Forum