Rush Racing Products Performance V-Twin Exhaust — Providing the industry's most complete line of slip-on mufflers.

Problems with Big Louie 4" with 2.5" baffles

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Rush didn't pull it, I did. It was a cluster ***** in the making.

Keep your issues on one thread if you please and not spread them all over the site.

Enough said. Thx

-wiz
Will do, didn't intend for the other thread to turn south like it did.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

It's not my business, just site business, but... I would suggest calling Rush and start over. Kicking a pig won't get you bacon with your morning eggs.

..btw, JohnC is right. If you find it hard to believe what he's saying you are free to research my latest posts.

-wiz

Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
The other post was removed because I reported my email and cell phone number being posted by you. This is a public forum that anyone on the internet can see.

I never called you a liar. In this thread you posted you noticed the discoloration when you started to remove the exhaust. In the other removed thread you stated you noticed it after the true duals installation, and riding it. I was looking for clarification on when the issue started.

I am not making you jump through hoops to get the warranty done. I posted that if emailing me pictures was not possible to let me know and we would find another way. Emailing pictures is standard for chrome warranty issues and I understand that is not possible or can be difficult so I offered to do it another way, all you had to do was let me know.

I have tried my best and at a loss how to proceed. I am still willing to reimburse the baffles and replace the discolored muffler.

Ryan
You are wrong on that. I discussed the MAIN issue about the performance. Then I discussed the discoloring issue. I never said I rode the bike. That post was probably not worded the best but then again, by your own admission, you didn't express your self clearly either now did you?

As far as posting your email and phone number? Are you fuggin kidding me?? Those are BOTH your work email and work cell phone. Are you telling me that that information is confidential??
YOUR WORK cell phone and WORK email Ryan..........give me a break!

I really hope this thread gets to stay here a while where everyone can see it and does not get yanked by the moderators like the last one. Your actions in this thread, PM's and the other thread speaks volumes about you and your products!

And yes, as many damn emails, PM's and post I have had to make on this issue ( 50% of them are now deleted thanks to you), I am doing far more than I should have to do.

A blind man can see that you screwed up in telling me the 2.5" baffles WILL NOT WORK. When you probably should have worded it better for the good of your company.

And since the only complaint you had about my post in the other thread was your email and phone number? Here is that PM again with those items deleted out of it..........................................
Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
BigGelvis, I was off sick yesterday and just saw your post. I would like to address some things.

The 2.50 baffle is the issue. There are known tuning issues with it when used with true duals. I have no clue why Adam would tell you what he did. Yes, it is possible to tune them but you will loose tons of bottom end power and your mpg will go down. They will work with a large engine build with high compression but are not recommended for stock bikes.
IF the products are purchased through an authorized dealer, they should guide you on baffle size selection to make sure you have the proper product for your application. I also have a baffle size guild posted on the forum. I agree it should be posted everywhere such as in our catalog and website, I do not know why this hasn't been done yet.

The only thing I can add here is that Fuel Moto is familiar with our pipes and they know it's difficult to tune the 2.50" baffles with any type of open head pipe. Did they ever mention that to you? Perhaps they created a map that works but they should have suggested the large baffle size was part of the problem. I am very confident installing a smaller baffle size and loading a proper map will fix your tuning issues.

We pride ourselves on taking care of our customers and standing behind our products. Please contact me directly if you feel there is anything Rush should or can do to make you a happy customer.
My email is xxxxxxxxxxxx.com and my work cell phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.
There it is, can't argue with the truth but I am sure you will!
How many times do I have to say, you should have replaced the pipes based just on that PM and your telling me the pipes do not work but sold them anyway.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

It's not my business, just site business, but... I would suggest calling Rush and start over. Kicking a pig won't get you bacon with your morning eggs.

..btw, JohnC is right. If you find it hard to believe what he's saying you are free to research my latest posts.

-wiz
I do believe what he says. And yes, hind sight is 20/20. But I have read a thousand post with people running 2.50" baffles with the same mods I have and claiming it runs great.
Maybe I came to the wrong conclusion and should have based it more on facts than on opinions by people who may be as clueless as me.

But bottom line is Ryan should not have been so open and told me the pipes with the baffles I bought have known issue as he puts it. They should not selling a product they know will not work on the most popular configuration on the 103" without a disclaimer saying that is probably will not work!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never said they will not work. I stated it's not recommended, referring to your setup. My options we're to advise using a smaller baffle size or dyno tune. I apologize for not recommending both originally and I have stated I would get you free baffles and replace a discolored muffler because you didn't have the proper information before your purchase and we are taking responsibility for that. We can argue about details on the internet or work together to fix this. Please contact me tomorrow if you are willing to fix this. You can call me to discuss reimbursing the baffles and easiest way to replace your muffler.
Ryan

Last edited by Rush Racing Products; 05-03-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about spelling but I'm on my phone. I meant free baffles not feel
Ryan

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Rush didn't pull it, I did. It was a cluster ***** in the making.

Keep your issues on one thread if you please and not spread them all over the site.

Enough said. Thx

-wiz

Mr Wizard

Ok, so Rush did not ask for the pull, 1 point to them and an apology from me. I am sorry I jumped to conclusions.

Mr Wizard - a suggestion for moderators. Perhaps it would be a good idea when threads are pulled to explain why they got pulled. Then folks might not jump to conclusions and maybe we could avoid it next time...

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
valleyracinginc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I would wait and comment further once I get the bike running right. But due to all the people I have talked too today and the response I got from Rush racing products, I am laying all on the table now.

While I am can not be 100% certain that the 2.5" baffle is my problem, or at least not without swapping them yet to find out, I am pretty sure it is a huge part of the problem if not the sole problem.

You all have seen the above reply from Ryan with Rush Racing telling me that the 2.5" baffles WILL NOT work on a bike with anything other than stock head pipes.
Well I called Rush this morning and spoke with "Adam" who said he is Ryan's supervisor. Adam tells me that Ryan was mistaken and gave me the wrong info and that the 2.5" baffles can be tuned although it is very difficult to get the tune right.
Adam goes on to tell me that the tune/Map that I got from "FuelMoto" is bad and that is my problem. I told Adam that I have tried 3 different maps and talked to Jamie @ FuelMoto, Jamie sent me the modified maps to try and fix the issues. The bike still runs like crap no matter what map I run!

I also talked to 2 separate local shops today and they both agree the Rush 2.5" baffles are very hard to tune. One of them did tell me it is possible to have a leak at one of the clamps where the mufflers clamp to the header and I will check that when I get home. But I can't see a leak being the problem!

Given the fact that Rush them self said what they said about this product, I would expect if someone had and issue like me, they would step up and offer assistance.
I did not get assistance today from Rush. What I got was an admission of a bad product and a lack of effort to help me resolve it. I took it on my self and I ordered a set of 2.00" baffles to try and see if I can get the bike to run correctly.
I do not have time to play a waiting game, I ride my bike every day the weather allows me a pleasant ride. The only way I feel that I will get this resolved is to replace the baffles my self and go from there.
If the 2.00" baffles do not correct the popping, pinging and sluggish throttle, I will eat my words and come back here and set it straight. But right or wrong, Rush did NOTHING to help me figure out what is wrong and did not offer to try another set of baffles.

What really pisses me off more than anything is, Rush sells this product and knows people are installing them with intentions of installing open head pipes.
Adam with Rush told me him self that "we need to change that, it is suppose to say that somewhere but I don't remember where". I have gone back thru the Rush catalog and product page and I do not see that information ANYWHERE. In fact, the only info I see is telling me that I will probably have to tune the bike, not the other way around like Ryan says.

Thank's for nothing Rush!
While Adam sounds like a nice enough guy, nice doesn't cut it in my book. Stand behind what you sell is what it is all about to me. Sometimes you don't buy just a product, you buy customer service. In my case, I got neither!
[If the 2.00" baffles do not correct the popping, pinging and sluggish throttle]

Popping ,pinging,and bad throttle response sounds like a bad map or tune.
I have tuned many of Rushes pipes & and mufflers. Yes , a 2.5" baffle is tough to tune but it can be done, a canned map won't cut it!

I know you just changed your headpipe. Are you running closed loop? Did you make sure the black o/2 sensor is in the rear o/2 bung?? I have seen this many times. Yes the bike will run, you will get no codes and the bike will run like crap.

Get a proper tune and you will be a happy camper. Just my $.02

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Valley Racing plus 1#

Originally Posted by valleyracinginc
[If the 2.00" baffles do not correct the popping, pinging and sluggish throttle]

I have tuned many of Rushes pipes & and mufflers. Yes , a 2.5" baffle is tough to tune but it can be done, a canned map won't cut it!

I know you just changed your headpipe. Are you running closed loop? Did you make sure the black o/2 sensor is in the rear o/2 bung?? I have seen this many times. Yes the bike will run, you will get no codes and the bike will run like crap.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by valleyracinginc

I got the 2.0" Baffles yesterday and installed them last night. I checked and the O2 sensors are in the correct location. And for good measure, I stopped off and bought all new exhaust clamps.
I used a ciggarrette lighter and checked for leaks at the head gaskets and all 3 muffler/crossover clamps. I found one minor leak on the left side clamp but the new clamp solved that problem. It was not bad enough to blow the lighter out but I could see the flame dancing.

One everything was buttoned back up, I took it for a short ride. The difference from the 2.5" baffles is night and day. Still some decel popping here and there and I noticed the front head pipe @ the head was glowing a dull red when sitting in complete dark in the driveway. Not bright enough to really see but more like I had to stare at it for several seconds to decide if it was glowing or not in the dark (if that makes any sense.) This was after idling for about 3-4 minutes while I checked for leaks and before riding it.

Once I got home, I did not see any glow on either pipe. I am switching back to the origonal tune this morning and ride it to work. I suspect t will be fine.

Ryan, here are some pictures for you for a visual that I am indeed not talking BS and I did go out and buy the baffles. I even attempted to get a picture of the discolored pipe but it just does not show up in the pictures I have taken.
Best have I can describe it is, the entire last 1/3 to 1/4 of the pipe on the header end is a DARK chrome with a brown/blue tint. You can not see in the picture but with the naked eye, it is obviouse and looks like crap, specially when I know it is there!

Name:  2012-05-02200631.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  490.6 KB
Name:  2012-05-02200257.jpg
Views: 2233
Size:  486.0 KB
Name:  2012-05-02200223.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  493.3 KB

Quick Reply: Problems with Big Louie 4" with 2.5" baffles