Rush Racing Products Performance V-Twin Exhaust — Providing the industry's most complete line of slip-on mufflers.

Problems with Big Louie 4" with 2.5" baffles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with Big Louie 4" with 2.5" baffles

Ok where to start. I decided to go with the Rush Big Louie 4" slip on's when I bought my 2012 ultra limited. I heard a set on a bike at a rally and really liked the deep note to them.
Well I have had them on the bike for 800 miles. The bike was completely stock the whole time until last weekend.
I decided to do the full stage one with Power Duals, Kury street sleeper intake and Power Vision tuner.

I got all the parts and did the install this last Saturday. When I started pulling the exhaust off, I noticed how the Rush mufflers are turning several shades darker than the stock heat shields. I guess I never really looked or noticed before but now it is very obviouse at a glance that they are turning golden brown/blue, especially on the right side.
None of the other chrome exhaust parts are changing color, just the Rush pipes. Even the stock pipe where it meets the rush muffler is not too bad.

Now forward wind to today. As I said, I installed the full stage one on Saturday. I learned to live with the "deceleration Popping" when it was all stock because I figured that would all be cured with a stage 1 and tuner. I bought the Power Vision from "FuelMoto" and they supplied me a custom tune based on the mods I have on my bike.
With the new head pipes, A/C and tuner, I have constant decel popping.
I have tried 3 different maps for the Power Vision including one that FuelMoto emailed me this morning. I can not get the popping out of those pipes !!!
To top it off, the bike is much louder now and the decel popping sounds like I have a tommy gun pointing out the back. I can hear the popping echo off objects as I am riding. It is friggin loud and sounds like crap.

I need some advice here. How can I get these pipes to stop sounding like crap and can the chrome be turned back into chrome? or am I stuck with gold pipes now?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for contacting Rush.
When using our 2.50" baffle on a stock 2012 you should not experience any discoloring. Please email me some pictures and after reviewing them I'll see what I can do. I'll PM my email.

The 2.50" baffle is recommended for use only with stock pipes. You should change the baffle size to 2.00" (part number 322012) and the bike will have a proper amount of back pressure to allow the fuel management system and O2 sensors to work properly. It is almost impossible to tune the 2.50" baffles with any type of open head pipes.

We have a tech support crew on the phones 8-5 mon-fri to assist with any tech questions.

-Ryan

Update: When using the 2.50" with stock head pipes no tuning is required. They can be used with true duals but only when dyno tuned. This is only recommended when used with a fuel management system and dyno tuning. It is almost impossible to tune when using downloaded maps or custom canned maps. I should have been more specific in my initial reply which was directed at the OP and the method being used to tune his bike.

Last edited by Rush Racing Products; 05-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
Thanks for contacting Rush.
When using our 2.50" baffle on a stock 2012 you should not experience any discoloring. Please email me some pictures and after reviewing them I'll see what I can do. I'll PM my email.

The 2.50" baffle is recommended for use only with stock pipes. You should change the baffle size to 2.00" (part number 322012) and the bike will have a proper amount of back pressure to allow the fuel management system and O2 sensors to work properly. It is almost impossible to tune the 2.50" baffles with any type of open head pipes.

We have a tech support crew on the phones 8-5 mon-fri to assist with any tech questions.

-Ryan
PM Sent!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

I would wait and comment further once I get the bike running right. But due to all the people I have talked too today and the response I got from Rush racing products, I am laying all on the table now.

While I am can not be 100% certain that the 2.5" baffle is my problem, or at least not without swapping them yet to find out, I am pretty sure it is a huge part of the problem if not the sole problem.

You all have seen the above reply from Ryan with Rush Racing telling me that the 2.5" baffles WILL NOT work on a bike with anything other than stock head pipes.
Well I called Rush this morning and spoke with "Adam" who said he is Ryan's supervisor. Adam tells me that Ryan was mistaken and gave me the wrong info and that the 2.5" baffles can be tuned although it is very difficult to get the tune right.
Adam goes on to tell me that the tune/Map that I got from "FuelMoto" is bad and that is my problem. I told Adam that I have tried 3 different maps and talked to Jamie @ FuelMoto, Jamie sent me the modified maps to try and fix the issues. The bike still runs like crap no matter what map I run!

I also talked to 2 separate local shops today and they both agree the Rush 2.5" baffles are very hard to tune. One of them did tell me it is possible to have a leak at one of the clamps where the mufflers clamp to the header and I will check that when I get home. But I can't see a leak being the problem!

Given the fact that Rush them self said what they said about this product, I would expect if someone had and issue like me, they would step up and offer assistance.
I did not get assistance today from Rush. What I got was an admission of a bad product and a lack of effort to help me resolve it. I took it on my self and I ordered a set of 2.00" baffles to try and see if I can get the bike to run correctly.
I do not have time to play a waiting game, I ride my bike every day the weather allows me a pleasant ride. The only way I feel that I will get this resolved is to replace the baffles my self and go from there.
If the 2.00" baffles do not correct the popping, pinging and sluggish throttle, I will eat my words and come back here and set it straight. But right or wrong, Rush did NOTHING to help me figure out what is wrong and did not offer to try another set of baffles.

What really pisses me off more than anything is, Rush sells this product and knows people are installing them with intentions of installing open head pipes.
Adam with Rush told me him self that "we need to change that, it is suppose to say that somewhere but I don't remember where". I have gone back thru the Rush catalog and product page and I do not see that information ANYWHERE. In fact, the only info I see is telling me that I will probably have to tune the bike, not the other way around like Ryan says.

Thank's for nothing Rush!
While Adam sounds like a nice enough guy, nice doesn't cut it in my book. Stand behind what you sell is what it is all about to me. Sometimes you don't buy just a product, you buy customer service. In my case, I got neither!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

BigGelvis, please let me try to make this right. I requested some pictures to be emailed so I can see the discoloring of the mufflers. This must be done for me to approve a warranty replacement. The setup you had before the true dual upgrade was a recommended setup and should not have discolored. Please send us pictures and I can begin that process. If emailing pictures is not possible please let me know and I'll find another way.

To address the tuning. The 2.50" baffles can be used with true duals but will require a fuel management system and dyno tune. I never said they will not work. I stated they are not recommended for a stock bike. A canned map, even a custom one, will most likely not work with this large of a baffle size. When I stated it's almost impossible to tune with the 2.50" I was referring to your specific setup using canned maps. When changing baffle sizes to the 2.00" the probability of the canned map working goes up greatly. I am sorry if that was not worded correctly or not communicated well before.
I understand why you are frustrated about not seeing the tuning recommendations on the website or in the catalog. We rely on our dealer network to inform customers before their purchases and for customers to contact us directly when they are not sure. This doesn't work for everyone and I understand you are frustrated it did not state this on our webpage. I believe you expected the webpage to say "dyno tuning with a fuel management will be required with our 2.50" baffle when used with true dual head pipes."
It is clear you tried but never found that info and I would like to offer you the 2.00" baffles for free due to this. I understand you have already purchased them so please contact me to find a way to reimburse you.
-Ryan

Last edited by Rush Racing Products; 05-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
BigGelvis, please let me try to make this right. I requested some pictures to be emailed so I can see the discoloring of the mufflers. This must be done for me to approve a warranty replacement. The setup you had before the true dual upgrade was a recommended setup and should not have discolored. Please send us pictures and I can begin that process. If emailing pictures is not possible please let me know and I'll find another way.

To address the tuning. The 2.50" baffles can be used with true duals but will require a fuel management system and dyno tune. I never said they will not work. I stated they are not recommended for a stock bike. A canned map, even a custom one, will most likely not work with this large of a baffle size. When I stated it's almost impossible to tune with the 2.50" I was referring to your specific setup using canned maps. When changing baffle sizes to the 2.00" the probability of the canned map working goes up greatly. I am sorry if that was not worded correctly or not communicated well before.
I understand why you are frustrated about not seeing the tuning recommendations on the website or in the catalog. We rely on our dealer network to inform customers before their purchases and for customers to contact us directly when they are not sure. This doesn't work for everyone and I understand you are frustrated it did not state this on our webpage. I believe you expected the webpage to say "dyno tuning with a fuel management will be required with our 2.50" baffle when used with true dual head pipes."
It is clear you tried but never found that info and I would like to offer you the 2.00" baffles for free due to this. I understand you have already purchased them so please contact me to find a way to reimburse you.
-Ryan
Ryan, I do not have pictures and will not have pictures till this weekend. I do not get home till 7:30 pm and I have already tried with the limited light there is at that time.
And I do not really care any more. it is obvious you guys are not going to make it right without me having to jump thru hoops.

By the way, thanks for getting that other thread of mine deleted, real class act and yet another fine example of what I was talking about!

I could care less about being reimbursed for $60 worth of baffles that I bought. But I promise, i will post the receipt here tomorrow so you know I did and not jerking anyone's chain!

By the way, so you know i really have a bike (you have yet to ask for any proof I actually own Rush pipes or a bike for that matter), here is a picture taken Sunday after getting the bike washed up.
You can not see the discoloration in this picture but it is there. I will find a way to get a good picture this weekend so you don't tell everyone I am a liar like you did in the other thread I had.
I don't like being called a liar and specially do not like someone calling me out and when I shut them down they go crying to the mod and have the thread yanked!

here is the bike!
Name:  fureralsunday.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  142.1 KB

Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

The other post was removed because I reported my email and cell phone number being posted by you. This is a public forum that anyone on the internet can see.

I never called you a liar. In this thread you posted you noticed the discoloration when you started to remove the exhaust. In the other removed thread you stated you noticed it after the true duals installation, and riding it. I was looking for clarification on when the issue started.

I am not making you jump through hoops to get the warranty done. I posted that if emailing me pictures was not possible to let me know and we would find another way. Emailing pictures is standard for chrome warranty issues and I understand that is not possible or can be difficult so I offered to do it another way, all you had to do was let me know.

I have tried my best and at a loss how to proceed. I am still willing to reimburse the baffles and replace the discolored muffler.

Ryan

Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

So Rush had the other thread pulled?

I was actually somewhat on their side in this mess until I heard that.

Having a thread pulled does not seem to me like what an innocent party with nothing to hide would do.... Maybe they think sweeping angry customers under the rug will take care of the problem.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Rush didn't pull it, I did. It was a cluster ***** in the making.

Keep your issues on one thread if you please and not spread them all over the site.

Enough said. Thx

-wiz

Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It had nothing to do with hiding anything. He posted Ryans personal cell number and the mods stopped it. I said it on the other thread and I will say it here. It's exhaust and tuning 101 to know that a large free flowing exhaust will not work on a stock engine. You need backpressure and proper tuning on a dyno. The reason that they make a large baffle is for modified and large displacement engines. Do you think a 120r is going to run through stock head pipes and 2" baffles? A wide open exhaust like the op put on with a high flow ac and a canned tune will run lean. He can't and shouldn't blame rush for his mismatching of parts. Why not blame the maker of the new head pipe instead? That is just as much of a contributing factor as the mufflers. The bike runs lean from the factory. Putting large baffles on it without tuning was your first mistake. Adding a high flow headpipe, ac and a canned tune was the second. What research did you do to find out if the headpipe would work with the rush mufflers on a stock engine? Don't blame them because they should assume that you don't research. A stock engine is iffy with basic slip ons. The large baffles should have had a basic tune to start with. That is why there is a little discoloration. The addition of the head pipe and ac just made it way worse. It is up to you to check your tune. Other than when its bone stock, it is nobody else's fault. Whenever I change something on mine, I have to check it.

Quick Reply: Problems with Big Louie 4" with 2.5" baffles