Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM
goofey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes

I have VH monster ovals on my 2010 CVO Ultra with VH. True dual headers and Screaming Eagle tuner. I was thinking about changing the slip ons to the V H hi output. Wondering if anyone has these and can give me some input on them. Also wondering what that would do to my tune.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 PM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got them on my RG. Pretty decent sound. Performance? Who knows, never put them against anything on the dyno. Wanted a bigger diameter muffler to fill the bag/fender cutouts.
Doubt it would do a whole bunch, if anything, to your tune..

Attached Thumbnails Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes-img_1150.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 12:24 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The Hi-Output Mufflers are designed for the higher output HP motors. They say like 120hp and up and bigger cubic inches. that being said, I put them on my SG for the looks they gave. To me they sound great (not to load, but you here them), but I would bet they hurt you a bit at least on the dyno. I'm sure some of the others would be better if you are trying to squeeze every little hp out of your motor. I personally think they hurt a little in that they don't give my 103 enough back pressure.

One other downfall on these mufflers is that they are as big as they are. Coming out of driveways that have a dip or enough slope, they will hit or drag. I have also dragged them a few times in the tighter twisties.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 PM
goofey
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I may change my mind I don't want to get into something that is going to drag. I like to ride the twisties. Thanks again

Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Have them on my 08 CVO Roadking. I put extended hard bags this year and wanted the biggest muffler I could get to fill the cut outs, and they do just that. They will not scrape on the turns unless the bike has been lowered alot. They may scrape if you have a dip at the end of your driveway or parking spot, that I have not had to worry about. Will they reduce the power of our already anemic motors? Mine seems to run just fine. Sounds great when cracking the throttle, not too loud when cruising, and a real nice gurgle when letting off the throttle. The only thing you may notice is a little bit more vibration, as the hangers use an adapter that mounts to the inner side of the muffler as opposed to the top. The inside of the endcaps will get sooted up after a long ride due to baffle being one continuous piece that empties into it, rather than a tube that sits inside of the endcap. Easy cleanup and if you have black end caps then this wont matter. Mine are coupled with Vance and Hines true duals and I am very happy with the set up.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:59 PM
goofey
Cruiser

Thanks screaninroadking for the info. I talked a HD service man and they think I will have to retune bike. Not sure I want to mess with the tune since this is best running and smoothest bike I have ever had.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM
liv
1st Gear
Default V&H Hi Output Slip On's

I have the Vance & Hines Hi Output slip on's on my 2009 Street Glide and my 2014 CVO Road King. Love them that much, also both have the V&H Power Duels. Had to have both bikes Dyno'd after installation. Run great and sound great. Are loud!! But I like it!

Attached Thumbnails Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes-dscn1892.jpg   Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes-flhrse-2014.jpg   Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes-orange-and-black-cvo.jpg   Question about Vance Hines Hi Output pipes-dscn1891.jpg  
Old 11-30-2018, 03:06 PM
deluxesteve
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goofey
I have VH monster ovals on my 2010 CVO Ultra with VH. True dual headers and Screaming Eagle tuner. I was thinking about changing the slip ons to the V H hi output. Wondering if anyone has these and can give me some input on them. Also wondering what that would do to my tune.
In fact i took the V H hi output off and put on 4in.Rinehart and the tune is the exact same.. just letting you know after having done it..

Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Fayston
Cruiser

I've had the HO's on my '14 SERK for 3+ years and like the look, sound, and performance - although I'd go to a 2 into 1 if performance was my highest priority. Re the tune, if you had the bike tuned with the Super Tuner and MO's prior to the EPA stuff HD went through, I'd put the HO's on without a new tune and see what you think, it's probably better than what they can do today, anything they do now for that setup will run lean and hot. I wouldn't use a Harley dealer for a tune at this point, I'd go to a good independent tuner, if the bike doesn't seem to be running right after the swap or it's worth a few hundred bucks to you to just dial it in then do that.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,955 Likes on 2,351 Posts

The Hi Outputs hurt torque down low in the RPM. You can see the torque dip, baffles are to big for a stock to mildly built bike.

They are great sounding pipes though. Ran them on my 09 SERG. But eventually changed them out for one with a smaller baffle to pick up low end torque