Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Rocker Lockers installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rocker Lockers installed

Finally got around to installing the Rocker Lockers to help quiet the valve train up some.

I have a 2002 CVO Road King, 103CID, with high compression CNC ported SE heads and big cams. I love everything about the bikes performance, but it sounds like a "meat grinder". The valve train is really loud in the 2000-3000rpm range.

I've tried tight lashing the lifters but it really didn't do much for the noise, so I installed Rocker Lockers to keep the rocker arms shafts from pounding against the hold down bolts.

The job was really easy, I just removed the seat, tank bolts, console/wiring, and blocked the tank up enough to get the valve covers off and rocker arm hold down bolts removed. Slid the brass sleeves in place, bolted everything back down and good to go. The entire job took just over an hour.

I noticed when inspecting the hold down bolts that they had bright/shiny spots on them where the rocker shafts had been pounding on them. The rear cylinder was hitting a lot harder than the front, but all the bolts had all the black coating gone and getting pretty highly polished from all the contact with the shafts.

After the install I took the bike for a test ride hoping all the noise would be gone, but it's still clacking pretty hard past 2000rpm's. The "heavier" noise is gone, but I'm still having to listen to quite a bit of valve train "clatter".

So good news on getting the noise reduced some, and for sure the rocker shafts were pounding away pretty hard on the retaining bolts, so we cured that portion of the noise.

The rest of the clatter is from the "aggressive" cams used for this build. I have a good friend who did a similar engine and has to deal with the same thing.

I'm still going to replace the lifters next week, just in case they aren't up to the task of handling this engine build. I order genuine Hylift Johnson high performance lifters with the pin oiling feature. Not sure if they are going to do much for the noise either, but at least I'll sleep a little better at night knowing the Delphi lifters have been replaced with better parts.......Cliff

Old 09-13-2015, 03:44 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Waiting for mine in the mail

Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM
fdny136
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rocker locker

just did mine . not bad to do and definetly an improvement