Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2014 Harley-Davidson® FLSTNSE - CVO™ Softail® Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 AM
ontcanuck
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 Harley-Davidson® FLSTNSE - CVO™ Softail® Deluxe

I am about to make a purchase on this bike that has 3000 miles on it Trading my 2004 1200 custom Sportster on it. Anything I need to know or beware of. Most riding will be done with my wife and I and mostly day trips. The Sportster did the trick but was just to much vibrations. I am 69 yrs. old and been riding bikes my whole including very large bikes. I rented a Ultra classic last year but just felt with my age the bike is just too big.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:51 AM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Ontcanuck,
I just bought one of these (with 775 miles on it) three weeks ago. I had a '06 Deluxe with 35K on it (no issues). The only disappointment so far is the exhaust and I am looking at slip-ons and a tuner or dealer tune (check the CVO Harley board). The handling is so much better, I love the integrated GPS and the bike had the Boom! speakers mounted which was a great bonus. If I were to add speakers, I'd probably go with something smaller like the Kuryakyn but hey, this was included in the deal.

You will probably want a letter passenger seat for your wife but that's an easy upgrade.

I went with an extended warranty due to the issues I have read on the CVO forum about the 110s and lifter issues (around 5K) and cam shoe issues (some at 10 or 15 or 25K miles).

Let me know how you made out and which color you chose. Mine is the candy cobalt and white gold pearl (similar to my previous deluxe combo, which was one of the things that drew me to it).

Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife has a 2014 CVO Deluxe and she loves it. The only issue is the heat that comes off her oil tank, especially in traffic. Still haven't figured out what to use.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Changing the pipes and installing a tuner were the best mods I have done on my 2015 CVO Deluxe. The bike runs lot cooler and the performance boost was impressive. No problems so far with 12k on the clock now (bought new). I've done some touring and the Mustang seat was also a great upgrade. Very comfortable now that it's broken in. I had them make a pillion seat also and my girl likes it much better.

Last edited by Spindrifter; 07-13-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 AM
ontcanuck
Cruiser

Picking up the bike tomorrow (love it) after taking the bike for a test last Sat.. My wife (110 lbs.) loves the bike and found it very comfortable. We are both retired and are strictly weekend tourers not like the old days were we racked up 15000 miles a year probably will do max. of 5000 miles now. Have had bikes for 50 yrs. and even did 5000 miles in 2 weeks on our honeymoon.
According to the manual it comes with a cover but since I will be the second owner not sure if the dealer has the cover will find out tomorrow. My friend who is a Harley mechanic says this motor is bullet proof. He said they had some valve issues on earlier 110 motors but that's all fixed. One more thing I hate is loud Harleys but this one is fairly quiet so it needs a little more rumble but not to much. My buddy said the Rinehards are about the nicest exhaust on the market not to noisy.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM
ontcanuck
Cruiser

jpg.gif IMG_7521.jpg (2.67 MB) Here's my new ride

Attached Thumbnails -img_7521.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 AM
JKM
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

your mechanic buddy is not 100% correct. While the early models had more issues, the current ones still have some. Here a a few think about

- Very poor quality lifters. These were upgraded in 2013, but still reported problems. Most failures appear around 20-30K miles. common replacement with S&S lifters. Don't wait until they fail as they will grenade then engine

- Valve spring have too much pressure, which makes the weak lifters fail early. Fix is to go with appropriate beehive springs. This is an opportunity to shave the heads for a little more compression and resulting power

- earlier models had a very weak inner cam bearing. This was fixed before 2014 so you should be good. If changing out the cam, then replacing the stock bearing to be safe. If not, then you are likely OK

- In stock form these engines produce a lot of heat. Consider doing a full stage 1 (exhaust, intake, tuner) and have it properly dynotuned (not a canned map). This will make the biggest difference in terms of making more rideable. If the headpipe has a cat in it, then consider changing it out for a full system. Lots of choice out there, including some that use stock heatshield to keep the stock look (fuelmoto)

- You will read a lot about crank run-out. Harley increased the spec to 0.012", which is way to high. With a stock engine anything below 0.005" is fine. This can be checked when you change lifters.

I have a 2008 CVO Roadking. I have addressed all the above early on and the bike have been 100% reliable.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats! Great looking bike. They are nice and low so they are easy to get on and off of. Now to get some miles on...