Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Screamin Eagle CVO Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/screamin-eagle-cvo-models-80/)
-   -   CVO Depreciation (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/screamin-eagle-cvo-models/1208344-cvo-depreciation.html)

Coastal CVO 11-20-2017 11:14 AM

CVO Depreciation

Was looking at a new bike this past weekend, sales guy asked if I was thinking about trading my 13 FLTRXSE2, so I said maybe...

The bike is immaculate, tons of accessories to include the factory matched tour pack, all of the CVO paraphernalia still in the original packaging, binder full of maintenance receipts.

Trade Value on a 37K new bike at my local H-D Dealership. 18K!

Yes, less than half of what I spent.

Not sure my next bike is going to be a Harley based on this experience.

TORQUEY 11-20-2017 11:19 AM

It's the CVO that's the issue, not just HD. I just traded in a '13 Road Glide with 13K miles and got 14K. OK, it had plenty of extra chrome but it was essentially stock.

My Motto (though many would disagree): "I will never go...CVO!!!"

5150northrider 11-20-2017 11:46 AM

I'm going to keep my cvo till I can't ride it or I can't keep it running anymore... lucky for me I really love my cvo (2015 flhxse) I did know it wasn't going to keep it's value when I bought it, I did also know I wasn't going to loose $ adding the stuff needed to make the regular street glide into the cvo...

cmashark 11-20-2017 11:47 AM

Well, it’s a market saturation issue. While I can’t say that my trades have been hit as hard as they they’re trying to hit you, I still took a bit of a hit. I don’t think they are flying off the shelves new. My last purchase is a good example of that. It’s a 17 that was built in Feb 2017. I bought it last week for $22800. The dealer north of me has the Black/Black version for 21900.

RedNose44 11-20-2017 11:59 AM

My 16 CVO books at 4k less than I paid for it two years ago. I also have not put much money into it (because it's a CVO). I guess it depends how much you paid, and how much you have put into the bike when it comes time to sell. I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon.

You want to get shocked by depreciation? Get into fast boats...

mazz 11-20-2017 12:02 PM

5 years old and 50% value is not that bad with comparison to most any other vehicle
and remember Rushmore in 2014 and M8 is 2017 has lowered the older bikes values more quickly, did you check web sites to find if this offer was fair value on trade?

Coastal CVO 11-20-2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mazz (Post 16843418)
5 years old and 50% value is not that bad with comparison to most any other vehicle
and remember Rushmore in 2014 and M8 is 2017 has lowered the older bikes values more quickly, did you check web sites to find if this offer was fair value on trade?

Yes, trade in shows 24K, their offer is 6K lower.

Coastal CVO 11-20-2017 02:56 PM

Dealership is asking 2 K over internet pricing on the new bike and the dealership is offering 6K less internet trade in pricing, I'd be going from a CVO to a non CVO model.

The way I see it. They are doing just fine without my buisness and just don't give a crap.

I went south 150 miles to buy the CVO when this dealership said they couldn't get one for me, I'm betting I could do the same thing again, south, north, east, west, meh! Their loss. I may spend a few dollars finding the deal, but, I'm betting I find it.

OR, I'll just keep it, I wasn't disappointed with the bike, my wife suggested the new bike.

IdahoHacker 11-20-2017 03:00 PM

Percentage-wise, a CVO will lose more value than the comparable standard Touring model.

In another thread asking about CVO's, I did a little research. Based on NADA low/wholesale value, a '15 Road Glide Ultra lost 40% of its value, and a '15 Road Glide CVO lost 44% of its value.

Gunnysgt 11-20-2017 04:04 PM

Another member made good points reminding that the Rushmore started in 2014 with upgrades and the M8 in 2017. You also gotta know trade values differ greatly by dealer. I have 4 dealers in my area and 3 of them owned by the same guy. The trades there are low balled. The dealer north of me gives MUCH better trade values, I'm talking thousands of $$$ difference. Another misconception is I dont' care WHAT goodies you added to your bike, don't expect to get anywhere near what you spent for those extras back out. Finally, with CVOs the owners generally don't put near the amount of money into extra stuff added since the bike has most of that stuff on when you get it so you really can't compare values of standard vs CVO unless both are box stock.