Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO vs Non-CVO / Shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Default CVO vs Non-CVO / Shocks.

Just had to pull my new Progressive 970's off of my CVO SG. I had issues with mounting the reservoirs on the bag guards because of clearance between the bags and the reservoir hose.

Revzilla stated these shocks would fit, but Progressive said they won't fit a CVO. I think the reservoir mounts are just a bad design personally.

I now have been shopping for other shocks, and some sites show shocks that will fit a Special or Standard, but not a CVO. Others say the same shocks will fit a CVO.

From looking at my friend's Special, it does not look like there is any difference in shock mounts between the various versions.

I don't wan't to get stuck with another pair of shocks that don't fit. Does anyone know if there is a difference with the shock mounts?

I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

if you go to the outpost alaska oem parts finder, you'll notice that your left shock is part number 54000081. if you plug that number in to the part number search, and click the link for 'what models', you get this list.

i really don't think that there is any difference in the mounting of the shocks between cvo and non-cvo. at least between my wife's 2012 non cvo road glide, and my 2013 cvo road glide i know there isn't.

it's possible that those sites telling you not for cvo is because of the length of the shock. maybe the cvo is a 12'' shock, and the replacement that you are looking at is a 13'' shock? it isn't so much that it won't fit, but that it won't be exact specs. and we all know that the only difference between the bikes is the rear shock is an inch shorter, but the forks are the same (except on the 'low' models)

Attached Thumbnails CVO vs Non-CVO / Shocks.-screen-shot-2018-01-11-at-6.09.29-am.png  
The following users liked this post:
RedNose44 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Kay9Cop
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The standard shocks don't have an external reservoir. I think that's the reason why they list them as fitting on a non-CVO.

I'm a fan of the Ohlins if you can swallow the price increase.

RedNose44 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Just had to pull my new Progressive 970's off of my CVO SG. I had issues with mounting the reservoirs on the bag guards because of clearance between the bags and the reservoir hose.

Revzilla stated these shocks would fit, but Progressive said they won't fit a CVO. I think the reservoir mounts are just a bad design personally.

I now have been shopping for other shocks, and some sites show shocks that will fit a Special or Standard, but not a CVO. Others say the same shocks will fit a CVO.

From looking at my friend's Special, it does not look like there is any difference in shock mounts between the various versions.

I don't wan't to get stuck with another pair of shocks that don't fit. Does anyone know if there is a difference with the shock mounts?

I ran into the same problem on front end drop end kits and rears. I went with legends and no problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbob:
Kona3wire (02-10-2018), RedNose44 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Thanks for the info and thanks for that chart skratch.

I am leaning towards Ohlins 159's at this point. They don't have external reservoirs so I don't see why they would not fit (even though some sites say they won't).

It looks like Motorcycle Metal is the go to place for Ohlins?

Old 01-12-2018, 10:35 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I am leaning towards Ohlins 159's at this point. They don't have external reservoirs so I don't see why they would not fit (even though some sites say they won't).

That would be a excellent choice,He knows his stuff.

RedNose44 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the info recieved so far is correct, the S/G and R/G specials have 12" shocks, the Limited's are 13", of course on the 17"s there is a left and right shock as one side has the pre load adj. The frames are the same on the 16"s so the 17 cvo shocks should fit.
I have a set of Ohlins (from MotorCycle Metal) that I have used for the last three touring bikes, I had them rebuilt last winter with about 70+ on them. I found the new Harley CVO shocks to be quite adequate and left them on for now. As they wear out I will reinstall the Ohlins. Can't go wrong with the Ohlins for quality and rebuilability. Howard will have many questions for you and don't forget to call him before you install. Good luck.

RedNose44 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

If you're willing to shell out the cash they're asking FOR the 970, which at the end of the day is still an out of the box shock, you'd be far further ahead calling Howard at Motorcycle Metal and letting him build you shocks custom tuned for you.

I'm not doubting that the Progressive are good but custom is always better. I don't care what it is, if it's made specifically for you it's always going to be better than something that has to work for as many people as possible. Just look at a custom suit. You can always spot the difference in the way it fits vs off the rack.

JMHO

RedNose44 (02-08-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,955 Likes on 2,351 Posts

I ran Ohline Hd-159 on my 15 CVO road glide ultra. Fit great, thinner than stock shocks. Road fantastic, liked them so much I got a set for my 13 CVO king.

Seriously considering getting a set for the 18 CVO Road Glide

RedNose44 (02-08-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:01 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

IMO no other place to buy Ohlins. Howard is a mite crusty, but what he doesn't know about motorcycle shocks hasn't been invented yet.

I like my 3-3s I got for my 20011 RGU so much that I sent them back to him to be rebuilt and plan to install them as soon as my new 2018 CVO Limited arrives.

RedNose44 (02-08-2018)

Quick Reply: CVO vs Non-CVO / Shocks.