Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2012 Ultra CVO Rear Seat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Scottrods
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2012 Ultra CVO Rear Seat Issues

Hi Guys, My wife and I currently ride a 2008 Ultra and are thinking of upgrading to a 2012 Ultra CVO that is for sale here locally. We took it out for a spin yesterday and my wife complained that there was no room between her mid-section and the back of my backrest. Keep in mind, she's about a buck twenty and very slim, so this is a problem. When we got back, I took a tape and measured the distance between the back of the backrest and the back of the rear seat, it was only 9".
The distance on our "08" is 12". I know the backrest is somewhat adjustable but I don't think by adjusting it, I'll get an additional 3". (No jokes here, I already have a complex)
Is this some problem that is specific to this year? Or should I switch out the backrest? Has anyone else had this problem? I need to get this resolved before I buy it, we're headed to British Columbia this year and I want her to be super comfortable.
Scott

Old 02-04-2018, 04:14 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts

Is the tourpak pushed all the way back? Check underneath.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:17 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

I have a '13 CVO and had the same issue.
I didn't even have enough room between me and the tour pack to use the Saddlemen luggage (BR4100) that is designed for the Ultra line.

I had a Kuryakyn adjustable luggage rack installed which helped greatly but due to the positioning of the radio amplifier (on the CVO's) I didn't get as much tour pack movement (to the rear) as the one's on non-CVO Ultras

Even though, if I remove the rider backrest, I have enough room for my luggage or my wife between me and my tour pack.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

The holes are slotted and can give you 1.5 to 2" extra

Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Could also be the differences in seat style. Some seats will sit the rider farther back, thus taking away rear seat room.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Scottrods
Intermediate

(The holes are slotted and can give you 1.5 to 2" extra)
Which holes are slotted? I took the liner out of the tour pack and there are 4 1/2" bolts that go through a metal plate in the bottom, they thread into nuts that are welded onto the bottom above the amp. There is no way to move that mounting position that I can tell, feel free to enlighten me.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Scottrods
Intermediate

I'm really bummed out and kinda pissed off. There are a couple of things about my new CVO that just don't make sense to me. The space between the back of my backrest and the back of the passenger seat on my old Ultra is 11". The space between those two on my CVO is only 9". My wife is only a buck twenty and fairly slim and she barely fits back there with hardly any room at all to access the small pouch on the back of my backrest where she keeps her phone and IPOD.
And now I find that the air wing rack doesn't fit my T-bag, which, was very expensive and fits my Ultra perfectly. These things are just idiotic to me!!
Now, I've had to invest $140 in an adjustable tour pack frame so she has some room back there and I'm wondering how in the hell do women who are larger even begin to fit in this small space!!
I guess I'll just take the old rack off my Ultra and swap them, what a shame, the air wing is a really nice addition to the bike, but only if it works. It ticks me off that I spent the money I did on what is considered the Flagship for Harley Davidson and now I have to start making adjustments on things that never should have changed. Dumb, really dumb. It's like my dad used to say to me, "What the hell were you thinkin?"

Old 02-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Scottrods
Intermediate

PROBLEM SOLVED!! I installed the Kuryakin tour pack extension kit and it went on sooo smooth, took me all of 15 minutes and added 3" to the space. As for the Air Wing, that's a no-go. I pulled it off and switched it with my stock rack from my 08, which bolted right into the same holes. So now we're good to go. Thanks for all the advice and information. It helped.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottrods
PROBLEM SOLVED!! I installed the Kuryakin tour pack extension kit and it went on sooo smooth, took me all of 15 minutes and added 3" to the space. As for the Air Wing, that's a no-go. I pulled it off and switched it with my stock rack from my 08, which bolted right into the same holes. So now we're good to go. Thanks for all the advice and information. It helped.
Did the same on my cvo. Airwing will return to tp when sold or traded.