Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2016 to 2018 FLHTKSE Upgrade - Yes or No?

Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll make sure to request that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
It should be back dated to the day you either sold, or traded the bike in.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

It looks like I am going to take delivery of my 2018 this week. With that said, I can officially let go and acknowledge the transaction is complete. If anyone is interested in a 2016 CVO Limited, there is a well-cared for single-owner bike available at Shenandoah HD.

Epilogue: There was some early conversations and feedback provided about dealerships, GMs and Salesmen in my area. I appreciate everyone's input. I obviously can't comment on anyone else's experiences but I must say I am happy with the way the team at Shenandoah handled my deal. I felt compelled to share this because as a rule the only time dealerships get any face time in the forums is to say something negative.

My deal was fair for everyone involved. However, what is most noteworthy is this: while every other dealer's staff sort of threw their hands up and told me they couldn't help me find the bike I wanted, Thomas (GM) and Marc Richie (Sales) at Shenandoah not only said emphatically they would find they bike, they actually did. There was some snafu with the shipping company which has delayed things - time measured in weeks. Marc made a point to keep me up to date with all developments. The entire team rallied to the extent possible to get my bike delivered as soon as possible. It's a 2.5-3 hour trip one way for me to get to Shenandoah. I will continue to make that trek with pleasure and do business there. They earned it.

Last edited by bensonjv; 04-15-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:42 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Finally.

Worth the wait.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Unhappy

...............annnnnnnnnd we're in the shop. It was a little over 100 miles to get home last night. Uneventful shake-out ride. This morning, getting ready for morning commute, I noticed tires were a little low at 33F and 36R. Decided to swing by local dealer for air versus DIY in work clothes.

Service Manager came out to get bike and we noticed puddle under the bike. At first it looked like a cup of coffee dumped under the bike. But I knew I did not roll into the parking spot on top of coffee. Turned out to be coolant. A bit more discovery and found a couple trouble codes; one for BCM and one for ABS.

On the plus side, getting the bugs worked out early. This will cause service to go over the whole bike with extra scrutiny and button up any more loose ends.

Glad I stopped for air. I was thinking about just getting on the highway. I do the VA/DC commute and would not have been good to experience coolant induced loss of traction in the Express Lanes.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 PM
SilverStreetGlide
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Damn that sucks but these things happen no matter what make. Truly hope the best for you and your safety is always more important than the moment. I am a Leesburg Harley guy and have many toys besides the Harley and was on the fence to get your same bike. The color reminds me of my first street bike in 1982 a Yamaha 550 Maxim which I rode back and forth to school in my Senior year. One again its a great looking bike and hope the best for you and I will wave no matter what bike I am on: Harley, Honda, Triumph.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:01 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Update:
My local dealership could not get their Digital Technician software to talk to the bike. They spent a couple days trying to get diagnostics run but no joy. Best guess was a failing or failed BCM.

The local guys were at a bit of a disadvantage not having history of the work performed. I appreciate their desire to assist but it really wasn't their problem to solve. In hindsight, I also think their Digital Tech software/firmware was not up to date and that was part of the issue not getting it to communicate with the bike. Plus, the Shenandoah team wanted an opportunity to make it right. So I pulled the bike Friday night and took it back to Shenandoah Saturday.

No obvious mechanical problems with cooling system. All indications were that coolant was overfilled and I lost excess fluid from expansion tank after it got up to operating temp.

In addition to the ABS and BCM codes I also had the radio doing weird stuff (i.e., randomly changing source from iPod to Weather band and some of the volume controls acting weird). All of that turns out to be related to the Stage II crossover connector for rear speakers - others have referenced this issue a few time in the forums. My new harness will arrive this coming week. Plug and play and everything will be ok.

The Stage II audio on 2018 CVO Limited is a very specific issue and still not well-publicized or communicated to dealer service departments. Probably because there aren't a lot of 2018 CVO Limiteds to begin with and only a subset of those are the road are putting Stage II audio on board. The Shenandoah techs were not aware of the harness change. It turns out when they encountered the connector differences, they assumed they could DIY the wiring. Functionally it works; sound comes out, etc. But as many of us are learning, doing it that way creates internal communication issues with bike systems and creates random symptoms that are hard to diagnose.

The Shenandoah tech assigned spent time with Harley Tech Team (forget their formal name but its purpose is 1-800 support for service techs with advanced issues) to Q&A long enough to figure out the problem. Then it took the Tech Team about 2 hours to go through their email history and find the correct part number for the harness. I found out afterward otherwise I would have given them links to threads here that talk about it which might have saved time.

As a plus, headers were in so full exhaust was completed while there. V&H Power Duals and S&S Mk45's. Everyone has their favorites; I think this sounds niiiiiiice with the 117.

I think we have everything straight now. Wire harness goes on this week and then should be 100%. The bike is back in the garage for a second homecoming. First time ended up feeling like an overnight test ride. Its starting to sink in now that this bike is really mine.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

I spoke too soon. Sunday went for a ride. Stopped at Stonewall HD in Orange VA. Leaking coolant again. This time master tech believes it was faulty radiator cap or filler neck. Swapped the cap. No leaks yet.

My my bike has been checked into three different dealership service departments before 175 miles went on the odometer. Hoping the chronic maintenance calls are wrapping up soon.

On the the plus side, weather was nice.