Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Thinking of buying a cvo

Old 03-27-2018, 12:04 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

My gunship gray arrived yesterday, had last ride on my RK before dropping it at the dealership, going to miss the RK, but no regrets when they unwrapped my new bike, love the styling of the 18 CVO’s.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
HD did a nice job with the stock cam 117,best running stock bike I have owned.
I will sure agree, my 18 CVO is the best so far. I had a 17 CVO with the 114, and the 117 is noticeably better. Its quite a bit better than the 110.

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
I completely understand your impulse. But you aren't made of money right? I saw two gun ships over the weekend in Virginia when I was touring around... gorgeous. But 40k????? Omg. You get killed on value. Next year it would trade for 28k prob. Buy a late model cvo! Let the guy who is made of money throw it away! Wait for gunships to be 1 or 2 years old. The cvo are worth it feature wise but not for retail. They are for guys who don't care about the money... got to have the latest greatest. I bought a 14 cvo limited last year with 8k miles for 25k. Feel much better about that than my impulse 2010 cvo ultra dark crimson numbered limited edition that I paid over retail for! Aaaargh.
Actually, I care a lot about money. That is why I buy CVO. I learned real quick what every you add to a bike, adds no value at trade in. A 03 Fatboy with 10K in upgrades is still a 03 Fatboy at trade.

I keep my CVO's two, maybe three years. They have between 44K and 47K on them when I trade. I keep anything I add, as it can go on the new bike. My 09 SERG I paid 31K and got 26K in trade for it. My 12 SERG I paid 32 and got 27K. Paid 35K for my 15 SERGU and got 29 K. 17 CVO Street glide, I paid 37K and got 32K, only had it 11 months, and 21500 miles.

So for most of them, I figure 2500 a year to ride it. I do not think that is bad at all, for the high miles I put on them. I do not have to add much cause they already have all the stuff. I took a bit more beating on the 17 cause I only had it almost a year. Just not a fan of the street glide I found out.

What would I loose on a two year old regular road glide special with 45K miles? I know it would be more than 5K. You have to add a lot more to make it look good.

Originally Posted by DanRC
Resale value, the Ltd. still a limited and the 6K is gone.
Exactly.

The following 4 users liked this post by FLSTFI Dave:
mazz (03-28-2018), paullavery (03-27-2018), PFWiz (03-28-2018), secular (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I will sure agree, my 18 CVO is the best so far. I had a 17 CVO with the 114, and the 117 is noticeably better. Its quite a bit better than the 110.

Actually, I care a lot about money. That is why I buy CVO. I learned real quick what every you add to a bike, adds no value at trade in. A 03 Fatboy with 10K in upgrades is still a 03 Fatboy at trade.

I keep my CVO's two, maybe three years. They have between 44K and 47K on them when I trade. I keep anything I add, as it can go on the new bike. My 09 SERG I paid 31K and got 26K in trade for it. My 12 SERG I paid 32 and got 27K. Paid 35K for my 15 SERGU and got 29 K. 17 CVO Street glide, I paid 37K and got 32K, only had it 11 months, and 21500 miles.

So for most of them, I figure 2500 a year to ride it. I do not think that is bad at all, for the high miles I put on them. I do not have to add much cause they already have all the stuff. I took a bit more beating on the 17 cause I only had it almost a year. Just not a fan of the street glide I found out.

What would I loose on a two year old regular road glide special with 45K miles? I know it would be more than 5K. You have to add a lot more to make it look good.

Exactly.

This is the first post I have ever read, that explains why it is smart to buy a CVO. I am going to show it to my wife when I retire and buy a new bike.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:38 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave

Exactly.
you got strange deals on your bikes. Under msrp it seems. I know some dealers will treat high end customers right but those prices aren't available to the one timer. The 40k street glide will drop to 30k or less on trade in one year. Your dealers know they can count on you for several thousand each year.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Serdvd6
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I had not ridden in 19 years, all of previous bikes where sport bikes, I wanted a Harley and people steered me towards a Street Glide Special, so in October of 2015 I bought a SGS and started adding parts to it, by the time I was done I had 8k in accessories and did most of the installs myself, guess what----most of the parts I bought where on a CVO as stock, wheels, seat, Daymaker, when I bought the SGS I didn't know what a CVO was, the salesmen never told me about one and after being in the Harley world for a year, I found out what a CVO was, so keep thinking about it and I wanted a CVO, so I tracked down a 2016 CVO Street Glide in NC (the 2017 year just came out but didn't care for the paint and didn't know if I should trust the new engine) so I made the deal over the phone and flew down and picked it up and road it home. I ended up pulling some of the parts off the SGS and selling them, but I did take a hit on the bike as a lot of the parts stayed on it, the buyer got a good deal.

If I had not purchased the CVO, I would have been kicking myself every time I rode the SGS, money was not the object here and yea I lost a little in changing out the bikes, but I got what I wanted in the end, but if you think it stops because you bought a CVO with the accessories, think again, exhaust, tuner, highway pegs and floor board extenders, chopped tour pack, Ohlins front and rear suspension etc.

I will probably keep this bike until I quite riding, but this is the bike I wanted! So my point is buy what you want or what will make you happy!

Last edited by Serdvd6; 03-27-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

you got strange deals on your bikes. Under msrp it seems. I know some dealers will treat high end customers right but those prices aren't available to the one timer. The 40k street glide will drop to 30k or less on trade in one year. Your dealers know they can count on you for several thousand each year.
My dealer did not know that when they wrote the deal for the 09 CVO RG. Second bike I bought from them, first was a new 07 Sportster in 07.

Yes, they gave me a good deal on the first, and a very fair price for it on trade for the 12 CVO RG. They may have figured out then I was a good customer to have. I sort of doubt that though.

They move a lot of CVO's, way more than most dealers. They also sell a whole lot of used CVO's. My 09 was on the floor as a used bike for 3 weeks. My 12 was bought before they even finished putting it on the floor used.

My 17 lasted two week on the floor used.

I really think it has to do with the market, they turn lots of new and used CVO's. We are in a very popular riding destination, and have lots of riders in the area also.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:56 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,449 Posts

The 40k street glide will drop to 30k or less on trade in one year.
i'm not so sure about that this year. there is high demand for these bikes, and supply is not as robust as it has been. we might see these cvo's holding their value better than in years past. and honestly, i have not noticed cvo's losing value any faster than standard models. still quite the opposite.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:56 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Looked at a orange CVO Streetglide today $42,000 plus tax. and Ultra $49,500
plus tax. And they aren't budging on price.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbob
Looked at a orange CVO Streetglide today $42,000 plus tax. and Ultra $49,500
plus tax. And they aren't budging on price.
That's a good size mark up over MSRP on both. Some would pay that, I sure would not pay any mark up as their is very large profit already built into the CVO bikes.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Shop around, you can get a good deal on a cvo, just have to be patient. I've owned several since 2005 and if you can keep from sinking tons of mod money into them, then you can keep them for years and trade them in without taking a bath. Better yet, if you can find a low mile private owner cvo that is a year or 2 old, you can get a great deal and still get a good trade. For example, I traded a 2010 CVO SG last year with almost 20k miles for 18k on a new cvo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a cvo