Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2014 CVO Softail Deluxe vs CVO Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM
Chodd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 CVO Softail Deluxe vs CVO Road King

I am just about to pull the trigger. Beginning with Softail Deluxe, I like the nostalgic look with chrome, pull back beach bar, then I saw the 2014 CVO, with its all chrome, detachable features making riding solo and with passenger, in city or longer distance a real easy switch. I was all set. Cobalt blue with nice graphics.

Then I saw 2014 CVO Road King in Titanium Dust and Galactic black. Hmmm...

I’d like to take my wife riding more often, as to encourage her I thought a HD cruiser style would be freindly. I normally ride a few times a week. Most in city, but during some weekends I take short trips up to 2 or 3 hrs, this is where I would like for my wife to follow more.

If some of you have had any experience on these bikes, appreciate to know what would the comparison be like. As of right now, I am about to put down a deposit for the Softail. This would be my last and final attempt at finding all the info to ensure I make the right choice without regrets. really appreciate to hear your more experienced opinion.

Thanks a bunch all!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 PM
Greybull1
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 CVO Roadking

I have the 2014 cvo Road King orange & Black. Great bike for day trips. I have & keep solo seat on most of time. When go on week trips I take my ultra. I love the looks & hard bags are the way to go in my opinion. Good luck on your choice

The following users liked this post:
Chodd (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:02 AM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

I have both a Road King and a Heritage, and I can tell you my wife prefers the King to the Heritage for two up riding. I've got hard bags on the Road King, which makes for hauling all the "necessities" that the wife thinks she needs to bring with her effortless.

Chodd (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

I had my first new bike was a 2000 Heritage, then 3 Ultras, now 2014 RK with many CVO parts on it. I drove the Heritage solo from Toledo to Sturgis, with overnight at my buddies near Chicago for the 100th anniversary (had a parade pass) Drove the Ultra 2 up to Sturgis. Drove the RK to Austin Tx. I would say the RK was better than the Softail, but the Ultra's were better on the long 2 up hauls of course. Me, I would choose the RK CVO

Chodd (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Chodd
Novice

Great input guys, really appreciate it. I guess in the end, one always have to choose between the looks and the rideability... not all the time you get to have both at the same time..

Old 04-27-2018, 07:29 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

In our home we have a Fatboy, a Heritage, two road glides and a road king.

The Fatboy, and Heritage are Softails like the Deluxe. They are not as comfortable as a touring bike like the King. The ride is not as good as a touring bike. The lean angle for cornering is not as good as a touring bike.

My wife and I each ride our own. The soft tails only get used locally. Any over night trips, or road trips the King or road glide gets taken. Any tight twisty mountain roads the King or the road glide gets taken.

If I could have only on bike it would be a touring bike, the King or Road Glide.

Chodd (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:56 PM
Chodd
Novice

Originally Posted by Greybull1
I have the 2014 cvo Road King orange & Black. Great bike for day trips. I have & keep solo seat on most of time. When go on week trips I take my ultra. I love the looks & hard bags are the way to go in my opinion. Good luck on your choice
Hi Greybull, do you have any heat problem with your RK, especially during hot days traffic in city? I am in Malaysia, temp here is between 75-95 n humidity is abv 85% all year long. And we get rain a lot too.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Chodd
Novice

Dave, many thanks. Suppose if I plan for riding in city and within a couple of hours radius, would the RK not be of a bigger bike for the task? Being a bagger and all?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Greybull1
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chodd I don’t see or feel any difference. If anything the RK is cooler as it doesn’t have the fairing or lowers as the ultras have. It’s a great bike for handling in traffic as you can menuver it a lot easier. And if your in twisstys you will have a blast.

Chodd (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 02:37 AM
Chodd
Novice

Thats a great input Greybull1. Thanks a bunch..����

Still hoping to hear some comments on Softail CVO. It seems the average asking price for RK is a little higher than Softail. Guess it shows that RK retains more value. But I read on a Harley site, they said that the softail tends to be kept by owner longer between 5-7 years and sells a lot easier, suppose to be more collectible/ for keep.

Quick Reply: 2014 CVO Softail Deluxe vs CVO Road King