Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2018 Limited CVO

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:42 PM
pdxhayes
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Limited CVO

After putting 75k miles on my 2014 Limited, I finally pulled the trigger on a CVO. It's the new anniversary model, and is a gorgeous bike that is performing well.

The ONLY gripe I have, has been about the com system. Specifically, the WHIM, and Sena 20S EVO.

My wife and I ride 2 up all the time. On our 14, we loved the intercom, CB, listening to music, and being able to make / receive phone calls. Now that we have our beautiful CVO, all of those things are gone, and have been replaced by relentless wind noise.

I would happily switch back to wired, but I'm told that's not an option on the 2018 CVO (but it IS an option on the non-CVO 2018 Limited?!?). It sounds unlikely that the non-CVO Limited is capable of using WHIM & wired in tandem, but the CVO is wireless only, and apparently, the wiring harness isn't compatible with wired com ports.

I'm also surprised, because SENA has a big name in the industry, and I don't understand how after several attempts, and 2 pairs of Sena 20S units, we can't get control over the wind noise. I'm not switching helmets, so if it won't work with my Bell Pit Boss, it won't work period. We have reviewed and re-reviewed all of the settings, updated all of the firmwares, and even tried teflon tape covering the boom mic. Today, I test rode a 2018 CVO Street Glide, and tried to make a phone call... They could hear me, but all I heard was a tiny voice that I couldn't make out.

Does anybody have any tricks to try? Can anyone confirm or deny that the 2018 Limited CVO is literally and completely incompatible with HD wired com ports?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:22 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

There is no way to use wired headsets with the new bikes. I went through the same issues for months and finally replaced the windshield with an 11 inch Long Ride Shields Recurve and it fixed the problem. I tried every conceivable setup of headsets that was recommended on this forum without any luck, until replacing the windshield. The stock windshield worked great for me solo, but there was way to much wind noise with the wife onboard. Now the intercom and CB work great at interstate speeds. This is with two open face helmets.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you provide more detail with your issues and complaints related to wind noise? I've had wired headsets on Ultra Limiteds since 2012. Like you, I made the switch to wireless with the 2018 CVO Limited and did so reluctantly. More on that in a minute. But for me, I noticed no difference in speaker volume or wind noise between wired or wireless headsets. If anything, I felt like the Sena 20S has just a little better audio quality.

For reference, we’ve used Sena 20s and HD wired headsets in Harley (aka KBC) 3/4 helmets and also on full face Shoei RF1200s. Wife is about 5’4” on 2017 FLHXS with police seat and 6.5” Klockwerks Flare. I’m about 5’8” on 2018 CVO Limited with stock windshield. Clearly more wind noise in the 3/4 but its ambient wind, not anything coming through the mic. I’ve been on Limiteds since 2011 and wind noise has been consistent wired and wireless.

Have you seen Urlacher’s setup video for the Sena 20s? Good detail on settings. Most notable was new options for rider and passenger volume settings. You have the ability to set base volume for each option (music, nav prompts, intercom, phone, CB, etc).

We just did a 2700-mile round trip in early June and while wind noise was present, it was consistent with all headsets we’ve used. I am a reluctant WHIM/Sena convert but after using the Sena 20s for a while, I must confess my only real complaint is battery life. Wired will last as long as you do. Our Sena 20s headsets were only good for about 7-8 hours which was depending on variables could only be 375-425 of a 9+ hour 450-500 mile day. We were running Sena intercom, Boom! GPS and music. Bikes were rarely more than 5-8 seconds apart. Most often about 3 seconds.

Our solution for maintaining comms for more than a single charge works for us but may not be palatable for others due to cost. Obviously, I got two Sena 20s with the Limited. Here’s the bonus: Dealer gave wife a pair of Sena 20s with her Glide so we have four total. We each run one until the batteries drain. Then during a fuel stop we swap out for fresh 20s. There’s extra steps to get rolling again… pairing to the bike and turning on nav prompts again but other than that it’s a pretty doable setup. I pack a 4-plug power strip and we charge all four headsets overnight. In a pinch we can charge two on the bike while riding.

Ok, one other complaint…..the intermittent popping noise with the Sena intercom. I’ve read years old posts suggesting firmware downgrades will resolve but nothing recent that addresses the issue or how to minimize or eliminate. Wired headsets never did that. Then again, you don’t have to use push to talk button for Sena intercom and with the Sena you can do multiple sources at the same time. I’m warming up to the wireless tech a bit.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 PM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 129 Posts

FYI the 20S can charge while in use.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to know. Thanks. Will have to look for extended length coiled micro USB cables to keep in the bag for the last few miles.

Originally Posted by mstrobes
FYI the 20S can charge while in use.