Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO no longer to be seperate operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 PM
tg061200
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVO no longer to be seperate operation

Hello, I just wanted to pass some useful info to all CVO owners out there. Since the founding of CVO many years ago the Touring and Softail models have been built in a separate building in York,PA. I am one of the lucky few who build them. Today they announced that they were no longer going to be built by a few (12 on Softail, 28 on Touring) caring and diligent workers. They are going to be intergrated onto the main assembly lines where 75 people at the least put parts on these bikes. We in CVO work in teams of 2 on Softail and 4 on Touring. These 2-4 people built the whole bike not just put a few parts on. We take pride in what we do and try to build the best bike possible and have always beleived that CVO owners really appreciated the idea that the are built this way. When we questioned them on this they stated "The people who buy CVO don't care if they are built indivdually or on the main lines" I have a hard time beleiving this. I would rather have a bike built by 2 people rather than 75 who don't care if the person before them put the right parts on. If you think the same please let your voice be heard. Send letters, email the company, Tell your local dealer to pass your dismay along. Mail letters to Harley Davidson, 1425 Eden Rd, York PA 17403 or Harley Davidson Motor Co,3800 W. Juneau Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203. If you could please pass this along to any and all CVO owners and Owners Groups it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

Thanks for the info, I have several friends who also own CVOs and will get them on the bandwagon as well.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think that they should drop the CVO name, since they will no longer be a custom vehicle. They will still be SEs. Why did they start the CVO program, if they didn't consider it would be a better product, when built by a limited number of dedicated employees?
Tom

Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Bikerdad61
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I would think that they should drop the CVO name, since they will no longer be a custom vehicle. They will still be SEs. Why did they start the CVO program, if they didn't consider it would be a better product, when built by a limited number of dedicated employees?
Tom
I agree. I also have a few riding buddies that spent the extra $$ to get just that, a custom assembled bike and if it changed to a production line unit then it should be marketed and sold as such. I can't agree that it's necessarly a better product (a friend had a '07 with nothing but problems) however it should be for what you pay $$.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by tg061200
they stated "The people who buy CVO don't care if they are built indivdually or on the main lines" I have a hard time beleiving this. I would rather have a bike built by 2 people rather than 75 who don't care if the person before them put the right parts on.
tg061200

I have a 05 SEFB - Platinum/Slate, one of 1290 made.

First, I would like to thank you for your efforts in making the CVO product and the care your crew extends to the owner. The craftsmanship is second to none on my Fatboy and you guys did a great job with her. She hasn't seen a wrench or needed service since new with the exception of routine maintenance and this I do myself.

Second, I would like to think that I speak for many of us here and will say your news is heartbreaking at best. The idea of changing the "way and birth of the CVO" is a break in heritage and I grieve. With this change we can only hope you and your team efforts will be honored at the new birth place and you shall apprentice those who come after you to increase the quality of the line as a whole.

Lastly, It is unfortunate but due to the economic times even I can understand this move. I also understand that others will loose their jobs and again, I grieve. This change will most certainly effect the CVO "substance" and the future of sales if not properly over sited by the right people. Therefor I will write to HD but not to demand a change in their economic forecasting but to encourage them to use the past skills developed by the people who take honor in manufacturing and make it their own.

I wish you and yours all the best and luck in the future.

Best Regards,

Wiz

Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting..........
makes ya wonder why

Old 06-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm...first post and everyone is falling all over themselfs

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain

Yes, it is always better to get stuff put together individually by a few guys who have to do about 100 operations only a few times versus on an assembly line where people do few things hundreds off times under controlled situations using the latest lean technology and process control. This is why Toyota Camry's are so unwanted.
Actually, with 27 years in manufacturing operations, I would say it was a good decision - you will get a better product. The only difference between normal and CVO bikes is higher end accessories and a bigger engine... so who cares?

Originally Posted by tg061200
Hello, I just wanted to pass some useful info to all CVO owners out there. Since the founding of CVO many years ago the Touring and Softail models have been built in a separate building in York,PA. I am one of the lucky few who build them. Today they announced that they were no longer going to be built by a few (12 on Softail, 28 on Touring) caring and diligent workers. They are going to be intergrated onto the main assembly lines where 75 people at the least put parts on these bikes. We in CVO work in teams of 2 on Softail and 4 on Touring. These 2-4 people built the whole bike not just put a few parts on. We take pride in what we do and try to build the best bike possible and have always beleived that CVO owners really appreciated the idea that the are built this way. When we questioned them on this they stated "The people who buy CVO don't care if they are built indivdually or on the main lines" I have a hard time beleiving this. I would rather have a bike built by 2 people rather than 75 who don't care if the person before them put the right parts on. If you think the same please let your voice be heard. Send letters, email the company, Tell your local dealer to pass your dismay along. Mail letters to Harley Davidson, 1425 Eden Rd, York PA 17403 or Harley Davidson Motor Co,3800 W. Juneau Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203. If you could please pass this along to any and all CVO owners and Owners Groups it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 AM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

It's a hard knock life, I guess. Nothing lasts forever and the only constant in life is change. I have lived it and I imagine so has everybody else. Other than paint, displacement and price tag...whats the diff? I would assume that it is a move that was dictated by the bean counters.....go figure. But....if you still have a job......although it might not be exactly the job you want...don't complain. My wife lost her job and we got a 35 thousand dollar haircut. At least my bike is paid for. And no, it is not a CVO. And the rear cylinder doesn't leak oil.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lowridin packer
Yes, it is always better to get stuff put together individually by a few guys who have to do about 100 operations only a few times versus on an assembly line where people do few things hundreds off times under controlled situations using the latest lean technology and process control. This is why Toyota Camry's are so unwanted.
Actually, with 27 years in manufacturing operations, I would say it was a good decision - you will get a better product. The only difference between normal and CVO bikes is higher end accessories and a bigger engine... so who cares?
Good point!

Quick Reply: CVO no longer to be seperate operation