Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Scratches in Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Softail110
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches in Black

Hi,

I've got a 2010 Softail Convertible in Inferno Orange/Vivid black...really great bike to say the least. I've used the Harley sunwash/gloss to clean the bike with microfiber "detailing" cloths but there are some fine scratches in in the black-painted areas. I'm not sure where they are coming from. What do I use to remove the scratches and keep the areas protected?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Buckskincolt
Cruiser

I use The Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo found here http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html
You can do it by hand but a random orbital buffer would make it much easier. After using the combo use you LSP (last step polish) of your choice. Also buy so professional grade micro fiber towels not the Wal Mart type. Look around the above site, it is a supply house for professional detailers. I have no connection to them and I don't know anyone who works there, I just buy there and like their service.
Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Softail110
Stage II
Default Scratches in Black

Thanks Buckskincolt, I will check out the site.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
abrown2669
Intermediate

If the scratches resemble a spider web, alot of the time those are caused buy wiping the bike while it and the towel are dry.The dust is actually scratching the bikes clearcoat.A professional grade swirl remover should do the trick.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I use this and it works every time. Can buy it at a lot of places. When done, use your favorite wax.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
dkrejc
Stage II

I currently ride a 2010 FHLXSE and posted this in another forum but thought it might be of interest here...

As background, I have maintained outstanding finishes on my cars (from collectors to daily drivers) using Griot's garage products. I've used all kinds of competitive products through the years and I know everyone has something that they believe is the best, but Griot's products, service, and results are top notch. However, I do NOT use their products on my Harley's.

The paint on my Spiced Rum is definitely softer than previous Harley's I've owned. However, I have found that Harley products actually do a very good job of keeping the finish in top shape once you properly polish and glaze (several coats). First make sure your bike is clean - a good washing is the only way to start. Use Harley wash or a high quality automotive car wash detergent. After your bike is good and dry - I blow dry and then blot dry with a terry towel - use their polish and glaze products (do not apply a lot of pressure). Apply 2-3 coats of glaze. It should be looking pretty good at this point, but I will then go over the whole bike with Harley Gloss. This will reduce surface static and will make your bike less prone to attract dust.

After a ride, I will use Harley's bug remover:

1. Spray it on
2. Place a soft terry towel - soaked in warm water and wrung out - over the area you're "debugging"
3. Do not wipe, just let it sit there and soak for about a minute
4. Lightly wipe the area as you remove the towel - "lightly" being the keyword here
5. Blot dry with a clean terry towel
6. Use Harley Gloss to buff the surface - again light pressure is the key - do not use a lot of elbow grease or you will create swirl marks

When necessary to wash the bike, do so with the correct products so the glaze is not removed and the surface is not scratched. You can polish selected areas as needed. Then apply another coat of glaze, Harley Gloss if you're really fussy as I am and you should be good to go.

Never clean a bike after a ride with just water - distilled or not - it has no lubricant and will swirl the surface. Never apply too much pressure. Most products will do the job just fine without excessive elbow grease. And never use a more aggressive polishing product than is needed. Finally, always use clean towels - micro fiber or terry. Never use fabric softener when washing your polishing towels and always rinse twice when machine washing them.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on each of my bikes and always maintained them as above. Every one of my bikes has looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it. It just takes the correct products and the right technique. Oh yes, and some time as well but for me it's very good therapy.

Ride on!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM
wreker
6th Gear

According to the folks on this site: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php
Swirls come from washing procedures.
These guys recommend the 2 bucket method for washing and have lots of write-ups on removing scratches and swirls, equipment and products, and other detailing stuff.

Start with the detailing guides.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=17

Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 PM
fourspeed
Advanced
Default Scratches In Black

dkrejc, curious why you do not use Griot's Garage products on your bike?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
dkrejc
Stage II

Originally Posted by fourspeed
dkrejc, curious why you do not use Griot's Garage products on your bike?
Found the HD products easy to use and quite satisfied with results especially while travelling and using for daily clean-up. Mixing Griot with HD products do not deliver very good results so best to settle on one and stick with it.