Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Dual Oil Coolers on a 110-inch CVO

Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Ping Jockey
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Oil Coolers on a 110-inch CVO

I am the proud owner of a 2011 FLHXSE2 SE Street Glide. Living in South Cakalacki it gets HOT, and I'm concerned about my oil temps. After break-in the bike (bone stock except for some minor cosmetic additions) would run 270-290 degree oil temps on a hot day. I suspect much of the heat is generated from the lean EPA-mandated fuel curves, but am not ready to invest in changing out or modifying the EFI just yet.

I replaced the stock oil cooler with the Oil Bud, based on the what I had researched online. The Oil Bud is a quality product, installed with no issues, and was successful at cooling the oil better than the stock cooler, even though it is not located where it gets the full benefit of the passing airflow. With the Oil Bud, I am seeing an approximate 20 degree improvement in cooling over the stock CVO cooler. Good, but not what Bud at Oil Bud advertised (he told me I'd see temp of 220 degrees max). This past weekend I took the bike out for a couple of hours of highway riding in 30-40 degree ambient temps and the oil temp still got up to 235 degrees. This is still too hot for me.

As I still have the stock cooler I am contemplating putting it back on and running it in series with the Oil Bud. Although somewhat of a plumbing nightmare (the Oil Bud uses JIC fittings and the stock cooler uses hose fittings), I did find an outfit that sells JIC-to-hose adapters. But before I make this mod, I'm curious if there are any naysayers out there that thinks this course of action is unwise? Do I need to worry about too much flow resistance with running two coolers in series? I figure that if my oil pressure says the same (midrange on the gauge) after the mod, I should be OK. I'd really like to get my oil temps below 220.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im running a OilBud oil cooler on my trike with a 117" and if I was out riding in 30-40 degree temps my oil temp would never get above 185. Are you measure oil temps in the oil pan or at the thermostat housing?

There is a forum member and my friend on here ( Mr. Wizard ) who is very good at tuning bike with the TTS Mastertune program (which I also run ) and he also owns a SE Streetglide. He has had excellent results with his Strretglide and would be a valuable source of information for you.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Ping Jockey
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear cooler temps can be achieved with a big-inch engine, but I wonder how much of the cooling in your case is coming from the Oil Bud and how much is via the TTS Mastertune (richer mixture). Did you do those upgrades separately?

BTW...I am measuring my oil temps via the H-D digital distick.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did both at the same time. The stock HD cooler that was on my 103" I had no plans on re-using due to the metal that was found in the 103" engine because of my crank runout. I had to change tuners from the PCV with auto tune because they didnt have have any maps for a big engine at that time

The oil temp reading on that digital dipstick are going to be off by 30-40 degrees ( hotter ) compared to what the oil temps are coming out of the oil cooler. You have to realize that when the transmission is hot its going to radiate its heat to the oil pan which is bolted right under the housing.

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 01-22-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

You have got to change the tuning, you have got to change the tuning..... oh, in case I forgot, you have got to change the tuning. Slapping on multiple oil coolers is NOT the answer. You have got to change the tuning. Its a worthwhile investment.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Ping Jockey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
You have got to change the tuning, you have got to change the tuning..... oh, in case I forgot, you have got to change the tuning. Slapping on multiple oil coolers is NOT the answer. You have got to change the tuning. Its a worthwhile investment.

Read you Loud & Clear and have changed the tuning via a Power Vision install and a custom map for the CVO from Jamie at FuelMoto. The bike does run much better and cooler, but still gets WAY HOT in stop and go traffic. The PV lets me easy monitor engine temp and it will get up into EITMS (285 degrees) territory after sitting at three or 4 red lights in stop and go traffic.

Next step is to go with the Jackpot head pipe, which eliminates the catalytic converter, and we'll see what kind of temp reduction I see with that.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ping Jockey
Read you Loud & Clear and have changed the tuning via a Power Vision install and a custom map for the CVO from Jamie at FuelMoto. The bike does run much better and cooler, but still gets WAY HOT in stop and go traffic. The PV lets me easy monitor engine temp and it will get up into EITMS (285 degrees) territory after sitting at three or 4 red lights in stop and go traffic.

Next step is to go with the Jackpot head pipe, which eliminates the catalytic converter, and we'll see what kind of temp reduction I see with that.
The only way to cool it down under the conditions you noted is with an external engine cooling fan (commonly referred to as a parade fan).

Here's a couple of threads you should read.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tem-again.html

Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw

Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

parade fan wired backwards.....meaning...instead of the default right to left air blow which blows hot air into you intake....install it blowing left to right which will pull cool air into your intake. I have big time stop and go and with the parage fan and oil cooler bike runs very well.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

over sized oil pan and a parade fan. why would you expect the bike to run cool with the catalytic converter still in pipe? gutting the cat should have been the first thing you did.