Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2012 CVO Street Glide Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
MF2014
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb765
almost 2 years later and I will re-post my opinion. I am changing out the stock CVO shocks for Bitubo's...tried a bike and the difference was incredible.

There you go... That's what happens once people try the BiTubos. It happened to me too. I'm sure Ohlins etc are good too but I found the best value for my purposes to be the BiTubos. Almost 3" of travel on a 12"/300mm shock and great adjustability. These shocks are also totally rebuildable but will last a long time with normal use. Harley has a long way to go to come close to this shock. Progressive was not a bad shock but only 2" of travel on the 12" shock and only adjustable for damping. With so little travel and so little adjustability, it was difficult to find the sweet spot for most road conditions without constantly having to tolerate less-than-acceptable handling capability or ride quality. Bitubos work for me with their custom spring-to-weight and other adjustments. Absolutely the best shocks I have owned to date. Very little compromise between ride and handling now.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM
pedman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MF2014
There you go... That's what happens once people try the BiTubos. It happened to me too. I'm sure Ohlins etc are good too but I found the best value for my purposes to be the BiTubos. Almost 3" of travel on a 12"/300mm shock and great adjustability. These shocks are also totally rebuildable but will last a long time with normal use. Harley has a long way to go to come close to this shock. Progressive was not a bad shock but only 2" of travel on the 12" shock and only adjustable for damping. With so little travel and so little adjustability, it was difficult to find the sweet spot for most road conditions without constantly having to tolerate less-than-acceptable handling capability or ride quality. Bitubos work for me with their custom spring-to-weight and other adjustments. Absolutely the best shocks I have owned to date. Very little compromise between ride and handling now.

Which model and where did you get them? The Bitubo website did not have a Streetglide model listed.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Dan at Traxxion http://www.traxxion.com/bituboshocks...torcycles.aspx

I got the ones in the pic, but they also have ones without the external reservoir.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 PM
CowboyBagger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got rid of the crappy stock shocks on my FLHXSE3. Howard talked me into JRI's when I called to buy a set of Ohlins. Big mistake, they ride rougher than the stock shocks. So, I'm selling the JRI's for I'm sure a big loss and going with either Ohlins, Bitubos or the Legends new Areo A shocks. Does anyone have input on these three?

Cowboy

Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I didn't listen to Howard......

Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM
CowboyBagger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjb765
Glad I didn't listen to Howard......
I wish I hadn't. His customer service was telling me I didn't know how to adjust them. It doesn't take a PhD to figure out that the springs are way too stiff on the set I got. Factory error or there just chitty shocks, I'm tired of the hassle.

Cowboy

Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MF2014
Well, I would describe the hand adjustable CVO shock as the worst shock I have ever owned! I am 158lbs so perhaps it's just too stiff for me. The shock was so stiff that there was virtually no sag at all when I sat on the bike so I was riding at the top of the shock all the time. Rebound on the shock was absolutely terrible too. Others that tried my bike found the shock extremely unforgiving and harsh. It preformed only ok and on bumpy roads it was all over the place. I think if your 250lbs or more, it may be the shock for you but I'll never know since I replaced it for a set of BiTubo's and the difference is absolutely incredible. The CVO shock is an overpriced calamity of a design and the function is limited to one-side damping and that's it. Do "not" waste your money on this horrible shock when for almost the same price you can have a custom fitted fully adjustable shock for almost the same price.
+1. I had my CVO for about a month before I changed out to Progressives. I'm 200 pounds and they were stiff as hell at the lightest setting. New shocks made a world of difference in ride AND handling.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Should be a simple thing to swap springs on the JRIs. I've got them and I'm pleased with them.

Maybe call JRI directly? That'd be a helluva lot cheaper than buying new shocks.