Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Shovelhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead-62/)
-   -   Anybody know what frame this is? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead/1118012-anybody-know-what-frame-this-is.html)

jozmr 05-25-2016 09:02 PM

Anybody know what frame this is?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...2bb0f305b1.png

What type of frame is this? I know it is a 79' shovelhead.<br/>

I know it's a 79' shovel. However, I need help identifying if it is a wishbone or straight leg frame. Also, is it an fxe, flh or other. Any help would be much appreciated as I am a newbie and want to get a frame like this. Thanks!

Racepres 05-25-2016 10:23 PM

Since I think I see the VIN tab [flat] on the downtube by the neck...I'll say it may be a Haifley Brothers weld-on hardtail on a stock frame.
Otherwise someone cut the shit out of a '57.

jozmr 05-25-2016 10:35 PM

So are you saying that this may have started as a softail and once the Haifley kit was welded on it became a hardtail? Also, by cutting a '57 frame would it have been made so that the new frame would be smaller or bigger?

TwiZted Biker 05-25-2016 10:37 PM

Looks like a stock 70's frame with a weld on hardtail section, did that to a few of them.

ccislander 05-25-2016 10:42 PM

Never mind. By the time I got my response done, you had your answer.
What racepres and TwiZted Biker said!

jozmr 05-25-2016 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 15180501)
Looks like a stock 70's frame with a weld on hardtail section, did that to a few of them.

Awesome! so is it likely that the frame may have started as a softail?

Racepres 05-25-2016 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by jozmr (Post 15180523)
Awesome! so is it likely that the frame may have started as a softail?

No...It was probably a Swingarm frame of the late '70's vintage.
what are the numbers on that flat spot below the steering stem?

jozmr 05-25-2016 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ccislander (Post 15180519)
It is neither a straight leg nor a wishbone, as far as early Harley rigid frames go. Wishbones ran from '48-'54 and straight legs for panheads from '55-'57. Straight legs were also used from '36-'47 for knuckleheads and '37-'48 for big twin side valves.
The photo appears to be a Harley swingarm frame (and all Harley swingarms were straight leg), possibly an FXE, that has had the rear section cut off and a hardtail welded on, as Twizted Biker suggests. If it is a '70 (I think) or later, it may have a boss near the neck with a VIN stamped on it to positively ID it, but it may have been ground off.
The shovelhead FLH and FX frames were basically the same, other than some mounting brackets were different, I believe.

Very helpful information here. I will begin to look for a swingarm frame!

jozmr 05-25-2016 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Racepres (Post 15180526)
No...It was probably a Swingarm frame of the late '70's vintage.
what are the numbers on that flat spot below the steering stem?

Unfortunately I cannot see the numbers clearly from the picture which is the only image I have of this shovelhead.

Hebrew Battle Rifle 05-26-2016 10:30 AM

Just FYI: VIN numbers in the 70's are different from the VIN used now. In the 70's and 1980, the first 2 digits in the VIN indicate what model the bike is and the last 2 digits indicate the year in which it was manufactured. The digits in between the first two and last two are the actual serial or sequence numbers.
The VIN used now contains much more information including the type of motor, the region for which it was configured, normal or special introduction, the specific factory and country of manufacture as well as model, year, and sequence. (HD has foreign factories in Brazil and India)

Be careful when buying aftermarket frames. If you do buy one, do so only if it has legitimate Manufacturers Statement of Origin. (Called MSO for short). Before buying an aftermarket frame, find out what you will need in the form of documents to get the motorcycle built with that frame registered in your state and if your insurance company will cover it.