Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

83 FXRS Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:15 AM
stroked83fxrs
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 FXRS Starting Issue

I have a issue with my Superglide.... The original starter got worn out and was giving me staring issues.. I would hit the button on the hanlde bar and it would "click" and then start to turn over and then stop in mid sequence so I would repeat the process until I could get it to start. Pretty embarrasing in front of the guys with their spiffy new Evo's and Twin Cams... you know?

BASIC SPECS:
1983 FXR, 1500 mile rebuild with 4 1/2" S&S stroker crankshaft, .040 over stock pistions, S&S Super E carb, S&S HV Oil pump, Andrews A/B cam.

I have replaced the starter with a Drag Specialties "15%" more torque starter. Inspected the flywheel - OK. Inspected bendix gear - OK. Inspected , cleaned and R&R'd electrical connections at LH side cover.

Using stock starting circuit (IE: battery to ignition to handlebar switch, to starter relay, to solenoid to starter). Battery is in good condition with ample charge and amps. Solenoid "looks new" and was replaced with rebuild.

Symptom 1: New starter engages and then "kicks out" and spins. Maybe only gets about 1/2 to 3/4 full turn on flywheel.

Symptom 2: Handlebar button, sometime I just get a 'click' when hitting the button. sometimes I have to put her in gear, rock the bike to move the flywheel a little inside the primary and try again.

My thoughts on the solution..... I have went through many of the "bible" suggestions to check current flow. My next step is to jumper directly a heavy gauge "starter button" to the solenoid from the battery to see if it is in the handlebar switch. I have an 88 hardtail (Evo) that has a starter switch next to the petcock that someone wired in to bypass the handlebar switch.

Was also thinking that the thrust washer might be the wrong thickness as I was not the one who originally did the S&S stroker crank and other upgrades. I just do not know where to turn at this point.

Any thoughts anyone? Hope we can solve our issue... as I LOVE this very fast, classic FXR shovelhead...

Thanks

Old 07-24-2016, 10:00 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you mean with inspected bendix?
Mine looked fine, but would engage half way and the spin free
Replaced it and problem gone
FXRS 1982

Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 AM
stroked83fxrs
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I mean that the flywheel and bendix gear did not have any chips or otherwise marring on them.. no metal in the primary when I took things apart. I am thinking I should go to the starter relay next, but am unsure.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:03 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

you can skip the relay and hot wire the solenoid with a wrench
If it works, could be the relay.
If the problem continues, it's the bendix
BTW the bendix does not look broken or work, it just stops working correctly