Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New To Me 72' Shovel

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:27 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New To Me 72' Shovel

Well I picked up my first Shovel last Saturday. I had been watching it on the internet for about a month with some money burning a hole in my pocket. Anyhow it is a matching numbers bike and had been sitting on a lift table for about 5-6 years or the tags went out in 09.The guy I bought it from had had it since 2000 and just didn't want to mess with it anymore. I got it home and in about two hours with a buddy had the carb tore apart and made sure it was getting spark and pumping oil and got it to fire up. It had a bad push rod on the rear cylinder exhaust.Part of the top tip of the push rod had broken off and looked like it had been run for while that way the way it had worn.I didn't find the piece in the bottom of the tube cover so I am guessing that it is in the head or someone else had worked on it when it broke to get it home or who knows. I got the 72' because that was the year I was born. I got an FSM with it along with the lift table it was sitting on . I put another push rod in it tonight and adjusted all the lifters and it fires right up first kick and purrs like a kitten. I am gonna end up tearing it down most of the way this winter just to put it back together so I can go over all the bolts and loc-tight them after I ride it for a little bit. I am fairly excited and hoping for the best. I included a picture of what it looked like when I went to get it and the push rod. The guy said all the oil that was under the table was from the drain pan getting spilled. I added about a quart and a half to the oil tank in all but it sumped out quite a bit out when I first started messing with it. I only plan on changing a few things on it for right now. I'm not real fond of the Phoenix's on it but the guy I got it from said he bought it as a basket case and it arose from the ashes who knows they might grow on me also ?
New To Me 72' Shovel-img_2966.jpg New To Me 72' Shovel-img_2944.png

Old 08-13-2016, 07:34 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

drive it as much as you can before going after something that is not an issue - we never fix a shovel before its broken or you will never stop working on one

i get the year thing i have that as well but mines is an original indian chief

good luck with it hope it serves you well

Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Never seen a Pushrod do that...and I frequent places that are Very Hard on equipment...Sure wish I knew the story on that...
I'll be asking some of the Wrenches at the track about that one just cuz I wanna Know...
Good luck with it
And John is 100% correct...If it ain't broke....well, you can always fool with it till it is!!!!!
Finally Do Not, Check/add oil cold...Put a couple miles on first!!!!
Helps the Sumping by Bunches.....

Old 08-13-2016, 10:27 AM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys. I wonder if it got loose and kept getting smashed till it broke or what ? I guess I should choose my words better and clarify that I just plan on doing a minor tear down so I can go over the bolts and reroute some lines and what not. I'm hoping to stay away from the motor.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I had a 72 FLH. Owned more than a few shovels. Great motor. Like was said. Owning one means working on one. They're not the new ones that these guys get away with just gas and go. But that's the fun in owning one. They're not troublesome. Just require you go over them.

Good luck with it.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:48 AM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,652 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Have fun with it!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

seen the broken off push rod a few times it happens when the rocker arm ratio is so far off from seat grinding or valve stem grinding that the angle at the ball socket and the push rod are driven at each other - its being pushed to the side instead of up and down and cracks it then chunks come off

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
Racepres (08-14-2016), TwiZted Biker (08-20-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
seen the broken off push rod a few times it happens when the rocker arm ratio is so far off from seat grinding or valve stem grinding that the angle at the ball socket and the push rod are driven at each other - its being pushed to the side instead of up and down and cracks it then chunks come off
Makes sense...Just never witnessed it...Thanks for the Info.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:47 PM
SparkyD
Road Captain
Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Congratulations on your '72, I'm learning the 'Shovelhead Blues' on my '79. Tinkering in the garage seems to keep me out of trouble

Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced

I havent got to do a whole lot with the Shovel yet.I have been working a ton of hours but I have managed to get both brake master cylinders off and tore apart and am waiting for the rebuild kit for the front to get in. I decided to clean my shop as it was in a bad state of disarray like always after spending five minutes in it.