Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'75 FXE Muffler Part Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default '75 FXE Muffler Part Numbers

In anticipation of restoring a '75 FXE to stock, I bought on eBay a pair of extremely nice factory down pipes accompanied by one good and one dented/scraped slip-on muffler. The down pipes are cherry and I plan on having them re-chromed to show quality. I'd like to replace the damaged muff and have a pair of them re-chromed as well.

The HD parts manual (1941-78 FL, FX, Electra Glide and Super Glide parts catalog) refers to it as the 'Independent Dual Exhaust System'. The seller indicated that the system came from an early 70's FX shovelhead. The picture of the bike the system came from shows that it is a SuperGlide.

The HD parts manual indicates that the correct muffler part numbers are 65230-65A for the rear muffler, and 65235-73 for the front, for '71 and later FX models. The two muffs look identical in the parts diagram, with exception of a bolt positioned for what must be a mounting hole at the rear inward side of the front muffler.

The early 70's FX system I bought arrived with two 65231-65A mufflers. They look identical to the mufflers in the parts manual. Basically two sheets of steel rolled around a perforated core and spot welded together. They have no mounting tabs and are held on the bike by a couple steel band clamps for the rear muff and one band clamp for the front. So maybe the muffs were replaced at some point? Or did Harley use multiple part numbers for the same muffler?

I see replica muffs are available via Internet search using the 65231-65 part number, however the application lists XLCH 1965-1970 and no other models. But the length of 19 inches and the inlet diameter of 1 3/4 inch is the same.

I'm thinking I can go ahead and get a set of replica 65231-65 muffs (can't buy just one) without issue. I have a drill if the front muff needs a mounting hole at the rear.

What say ye, Oracles of all things Harley?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:32 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

FYI, a bike can only be original once. You say you want to restore it to stock condition but using aftermarket (Tawain Ted/J&P) parts only lowers the value of your restoration.

True independent duals mufflers are marked with HD part numbers. That can't be replicated.

How about a pic or two of your FXE?

Herz one I recently sold. The only non-stock parts were the tires, hoses and front brake line. Yours should look similar.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

The bike is for me, not for purpose of selling. The repro mufflers have the Harley part numbers stamped and are indistinguishable from OEM. However your point about not being original HD components is well taken. American iron - American parts. I have a NOS tank, front and rear fenders tucked away for repaint when there is time. Was there an option re the seat? I've seen the seat that you have on your bike as well as one that resembles a king/queen seat, both OEM Harley.

Attached Thumbnails '75 FXE Muffler Part Numbers-1975-rt-side.jpg   '75 FXE Muffler Part Numbers-1975-left-side.jpg  
Old 10-07-2016, 09:37 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,377 Likes on 4,119 Posts

First off, you have a nice looking Super Glide there.
When you say restore back to original, just what do you mean? The reason I ask is because just at a glance, there are so many things that aren't "stock", even things like rockers, nose cone, primary cover, oil tank, swingarm, etc. that are chrome (but shouldn't be).
I think what you have there is a good representation of what guys did to their bikes in that period, and it's nicely done at that, IMO.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

Thanks AJ. I've always liked the classic bare bones look of the Superglide. All that is chrome will be replaced with painted or bare aluminum parts. I will polish some of the aluminum components like rocker boxes, carb etc. And anything that is supposed to be chrome will be much better than that from the factory. So won't be a 100% accurate concours-level restoration to 'out of the crate' factory stock. But overall appearance will follow factory stock.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:52 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Nice looking bike you have there. Great looking color as well.

Re: seat options. The 1975 Accessory Catalog offered a "Hi-Lo" seat for the FX/E models (part# 52023-75). With that there was also a a chrome backrest (part# 91820-74), and a backrest (part# 91823-75).

From the pic in the catalog it would be a real stretch to call these components a king-queen seat. A bit more padding than the one on mine, but the passenger backrest is like a small back pad at best.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

Thanks Panz.

Hi-low is a better descriptor. So this was an alternative to the standard 'spoon' style seat then, and either would be appropriate for a '75 it would appear.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

If it were me I would look for the Hi-Lo seat. The seat on mine was faux leather. It was a vinyl hard type almost plastic like. Not comfortable at all, but good enough for local riding (which is what I used mine for).

And yes either seat is appropriate for your '75.

Herz a couple of pics from the catalog.

And since you are going retro, you definitely need the fashion statement as well by adding this look...

Enjoy your ride and please keep us posted of your progress.

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

Thanks for the brochure photos and suggestion, Panz.

Looks like I need to dig deep into the closet and see if I can find a Members Only jacket tucked away in there.