Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

80 FLH Clicks but will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM
handysteve36
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 FLH Clicks but will not turn over

I have a 1980 FLH Electra Glide that has been running great for years. It was purchased as a basket case. I recently pulled all the sheet metal and had some paint and minor metal work done. Custom solo seat re covered and I re laced the rear wheel. New brakes and made her look better than new. I had her down for about two months. When I went back to start her she cranked for some time before the battery just got weak. I then popped off the lower end of the carburetor and cleaned out the float stop. Blew out and cleaned up everything I could. This is generally what I do when it has sit for a while. Put her on my charger. When I went back to start it up, it only clicks.
My question is, Because the starter solenoid is the original part. Can my excessive cranking have put to much strain and heat on my starter solenoid and burned it up? The battery is good because I just swapped out from another bike and the results are the same. The other bike fires right up and the FLH I am restoring is still just a click.
At any rate I have ordered a new starter solenoid based on its age alone. I did get the high performance starter solenoid from JP due to the fact I am running a high compression SS 95ci stroker motor.
Thanks, Steve.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

change the solenoid

Old 11-16-2016, 02:37 AM
handysteve36
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I am thinking. I did the test on the relay and it checks out fine. My Starter solenoid on this bike must have finally died.
Thanks.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Not very difficult to jump between the long stud and the Small [trigger] stud on the solenoid...
if it works...it works...
I have a Friend who has been starting his FXR for 3 years with a Quarter!!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 11-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Not very difficult to jump between the long stud and the Small [trigger] stud on the solenoid...
if it works...it works...
I have a Friend who has been starting his FXR for 3 years with a Quarter!!!!
yep .... been there and done that :>)

Old 11-19-2016, 05:43 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts

You might try pulling the plastic end off the solenoid and cleaning the contacts with carb cleaner. Don't have to remove the solenoid to do this. Be sure to disconnect your ground cable.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kink04fxd
You might try pulling the plastic end off the solenoid and cleaning the contacts with carb cleaner. Don't have to remove the solenoid to do this. Be sure to disconnect your ground cable.
???
**** on the carb cleaner
use sandpaper or a file if you take it apart, and turn the washer to a new spot too...[or you can remove and flip the Washer], and/or buy a new cover from NAPA!!!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:25 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
???
**** on the carb cleaner
use sandpaper or a file if you take it apart, and turn the washer to a new spot too...[or you can remove and flip the Washer], and/or buy a new cover from NAPA!!!

Yes you can do all that. I have too. In my case the inside of the solenoid had oil in it and the carb cleaner cured it. Sorry you didn't like my response.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kink04fxd
Yes you can do all that. I have too. In my case the inside of the solenoid had oil in it and the carb cleaner cured it. Sorry you didn't like my response.
If your experience was oil/trash inside the Solenoid...then the response was "right on".
I have seen quite a few and never found anything inside of a solenoid but carbon and Rust, generally a very dry environment!!
If you found oil etc in there...Your cure, tho uncommon from my experience, is appropriate!!!
I wasn't pissin on yer response...just the cleaner!!! Once in there...I guess we all need to make a Decision what to do!!!

Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

As everyone has given good suggestions I have found that the older the bikes get I have had to add more ground cables to the engine and the frame , over the years corrosion has set in especially if it's been setting

Quick Reply: 80 FLH Clicks but will not turn over