Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Picked up my 77 FXE

Old 12-28-2016, 11:35 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts
Default Picked up my 77 FXE

Yup it's at my brothers house in the Albany area. It is very clean and in very good condition... Has 5.5 gallon tanks and i believe an after market wide glide front end with a 21"er. I like the running boards and i think they are gonna stay... The handle bars are wider than my Fatboy but Not too bad. The Directional's have been stripped off and I was told That before 82 it's Not necessary for inspection, correct me if That's false......

Well Wans't able to get it started because it was to cold out, 16*. So i Put it in the garage to warm up and still wouldn't start even with a battery booster... It turned over with pretty good speed but no bang.... I even tried to kick it over and no way was i gonna be able to kick start it. Has way to much compression. On the first attempt to kick it i couldn't even budge the kicker. On the second attempt i put all of my 160 lbs into it and i was just barely able to kick it over but in not enough speed that would start it.... I don't think I'll ever be able to kick start it. No compression releases. All the PO could tell me was that the pistons and rings were replaced 2k miles ago with Wiseco but he does not know any other info on that. The ignition is a Compu-fire don't know much about them. I've always head SE or Dyna. I even tried to retard the timing hoping it would help, nope......

He also stated the piston pin bushing were replace as well as a complete cylinder head rebuild, rockers, valves, springs and guides but could Not give me any info on the combustion chamber or valve sizes. I'll probably have to year it down tho find out... Not sure of that's gonna happen... Of it runs God why mess with out....

The fuel shut of is a Pingel so that's a bonus and the carbs is a 3 year old S&S E. He says He really doesn't know much about the motor He just rides....

I'll probably have to change the oil and do a basic run through of the bike once i get It home, compression test etc.

It does have all the original controls but every button is missing. Any one know where I can get them? The stem's are all there and all and all the switches work, just missing The buttons...

Now The guy I bought It off of is going blind and that's why he sold It. So even though It wouldn't start i still loaded It and took It to my brothers. Now remember when i said It Has a Pingel, i checked It and It was in the same on position as mine so i figured It was On.. Well guess what, when i went out later that day to shut The fuel off because It Will be sitting for at least 3-4 months before i can bring it home I found that it was off. The valve was not properly clocked so it appeared to be On... No wonder it wouldn't start... No FUEL, DUH.....At that point it was late and i was going home early The next morning (4 hour drive) so i didn't bother to try it again. So Now it sits and I'll just have to wait till like April.. Oh well till then....here's some pics. They didn't all come out to well.

One more question. The rocker covers have the HD insignia On The right face of both of them and I have not seen that on others. Did they only do that certain years cause i haven't seen other 77's with It...

Sorry it's s long One but thanx... Bob.....

Attached Thumbnails Picked up my 77 FXE-20161226_114535.jpg   Picked up my 77 FXE-20161226_114452.jpg   Picked up my 77 FXE-20161226_114403.jpg   Picked up my 77 FXE-img_0602.jpg  

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-28-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Bob, In NY its 1985 and newer must have directionals. However if the bike was equipped originally with them they must be there and working, I'm positive that your 77 came with them but the inspection stations don't care.

If it were mine in this day & age I would put them on because we need as much visibility as we can get,

You know I asked the PO last year about those rocker covers and he said it was a sticker? You looked at them is that so? Oh and i have never seen the PO use anything but the kicker, Sounds to me that you need to put a few pounds on! LOL Those little buttons you can get from midwest, they just pop on the post and fall off a lot. I used super glue on my shovel when i had those controls

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe it was because it was so cold. I don't know. We'll see how well I can kick it in the warmer weather.... I don't think I'll ever put on that much weight.... I didn't look that close at it... I'll check for stickers the next time I'm up there... Down here they do check all the lights....

Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike! Can you get some more chrome on it? Down here in the Texas sun that thing would look like a meteor flying down the road! Holy cow... don't forget the sunscreen!

Seriously - keep us posted with getting it running. Looks like a fun bike and a fun project. Be safe!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Frijoles
Nice bike! Can you get some more chrome on it? Down here in the Texas sun that thing would look like a meteor flying down the road! Holy cow... don't forget the sunscreen!

Seriously - keep us posted with getting it running. Looks like a fun bike and a fun project. Be safe!
LOL!! That's no joke either , old partner of mine had a chromed tank & dash and he was the only person I've met who'd get sunburned under the chin

98hotrodfatboy (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
LOL!! That's no joke either , old partner of mine had a chromed tank & dash and he was the only person I've met who'd get sunburned under the chin
Thanx, I'll make sure I wear sunblock...

Old 12-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Directional signals are 1986 and newer. As stated, unless it came with them from the factory, but how is anyone going to prove it did, so you are good with no signals. Honestly you do not even know for sure if it did. Any LEO with half a brain will know you can beat the ticket. I wouldn't worry about it for a second. And if you are not visible enough with a CHROME Shovel, they were never going to see you.

Buttons are easily sourced, J&P and all of those places. Buy extras and crazy glue, consider it a maintenance item.

It is still shiny, I still love it.

Hey man what do you clean your bike with?
Windex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool chrome. I bet the prior owner just loved the movie, "Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man"...*lol

Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Update......

Got up to my brothers last night and started on the bike this morning. Had it on charge for a couple of hours but with no avail. It Was very stubborn. Cranking real slow so after a hour or so I put the jumper cables on it. And it starting spitting. So I backed off the timing a little and much to my surprise under the side plate was a compu-fire. So ok cool. After a couple of attempts it final started but only the front cylinder, rear was dead. More poking around found the single fire coil was ****. No wonder I couldn't start it before, so down to a local Indy in Waterveliet got be S$S, $160 bucks but it did finally fire.

Now the real fun starts. I don't think this motor is as fresh as I was told. Popped the plugs and took a look at the valves (as much as I could see through the plug hole) and they definitely did not look fresh... Best I could get for the compression was 135. However I must say it was a cold motor with some slow cranking. On the first revolution it went to 125 but then topped out at the 135
At least they were even... I didn't want another project... My 98 is all I want for a project. This bike was supposed to be a plug and play.... I think I'm in for a ride.... And not a pleasure ride..... Not happy...... Yes the rear cylinder does smoke a little. I'm gonna try to get it out into the neighborhood tomorrow to get a better feel of it.. the rear exhaust pipe tells a pretty good sorry...... we'll see.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 05-13-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

This bike was supposed to be a plug and play
With an unknown shovel ? What were you thinking ?.......

They can be pretty reliable but you need to go through the steps to get one there. 75's didn't have valve seals so a little smoke is common, what will tell the story is you drop a pipe and look into the port , valve guides oily it's going to need a little TLC.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-13-2017 at 07:08 PM.
98hotrodfatboy (05-13-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up my 77 FXE