Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Got me a shovel

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Nice find and good luck. I also recently purchased my fist shovel FXE and am awaiting the adventure. Enjoy yours....

Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts

Very nice!

Enjoy

Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Very Nice as is.
How about a pic of that seat.

UK, as in across the pond?

Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

that's pretty clean!
good luck

Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 AM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool bike! I find the printed HD service manuals better for the bench... I read the PDF when needed, but having the paper manual on the bench in the shop is valuable in so many ways. I write notes in them, get grease on them (oops), etc. Also a handy place to keep my beer, so I don't need a coaster in my shop.

Enjoy the bike and I agree with others - keep us posted with news of your efforts!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:38 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Very Nice as is.
How about a pic of that seat.

UK, as in across the pond?
I will take a pic and post it - but I'm currently about 1K miles away from the bike.

And yes - UK as in across the pond. Where nice shovels are pretty rare. So I am pleased to have found this one....

Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Frijoles
Cool bike! I find the printed HD service manuals better for the bench... I read the PDF when needed, but having the paper manual on the bench in the shop is valuable in so many ways. I write notes in them, get grease on them (oops), etc. Also a handy place to keep my beer, so I don't need a coaster in my shop.

Enjoy the bike and I agree with others - keep us posted with news of your efforts!
I hear you on that - it's a PITA trying to read a manual on a tablet with greasy hands. But on the flip side, you can print out the pages you need, use them and then chuck them when you are done.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Nice find and good luck. I also recently purchased my fist shovel FXE and am awaiting the adventure. Enjoy yours....
:-) Yeah....it's going to be a fun adventure. Right now I am just reading everything I can about them to try and smooth off the learning curve a bit. This weekend I'll do a "snagging list" on the bike and then start prioritising what needs done.

Sadly, the weather is lousy in Europe right now, so I don't foresee much riding time. I really don't want this one to get caked in salt and road grime right now....

Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, I guess I may as well use this thread to document the journey with this bike....

Not much done today - it's way too cold to be in the garage. But I did do a compression test and got the following results:

Front 130 psi
Rear 126 psi

The spec in the manual says compression should be over 100 psi and a variance of less than 10 psi between the cylinders - so all seems good there.

Also went and got a new oil filter and four quarts of Spectro 20W50 oil. Should have picked up some tranny fluid at the same time, but I can do that tomorrow.

I noticed there is some mild leakage that looks like it might come from the transmission main shaft seal. This seems extremely common on these bikes, so I did a bit of searching on how to fix and ended up ordering a replacement spacer with built in o-ring from "saddlebagrail". When that arrives, we'll see if it fixes the leak. There were some very good reviews on this approach though.

I did have a "doh" moment earlier though. I took the seat off and thought I would gently take the oil filter cover off while the bike was running just to check oil was coming back into the tank via the return lines. I won't do that again as I ended up with about half a pint of oil on the garage floor in a split second. So I guess the oil flow is good at least....

TSheff asked me to post a pic of the original seat - but on closer inspection, it doesn't appear to be original after all - I can't find any part number on it, but on the underneath it does say "SEP 92 937" - which I'm guessing is a date code and serial number. Pic below in any case....

Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by adm

TSheff asked me to post a pic of the original seat - but on closer inspection, it doesn't appear to be original after all - I can't find any part number on it, but on the underneath it does say "SEP 92 937" - which I'm guessing is a date code and serial number. Pic below in any case....

I've been looking for a specific seat and that's not the one. I don't remember the OEM seat having buttons, however that was long ago and I'm not an expert. Yes Sep 92 an o 1980 Shovel is a good clue. Take Care and Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Got me a shovel