Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Aftermarket rocker shafts....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket rocker shafts....

Hey guys, I am working on rebuilding the motor on what was originally a 1984 FXSB. I'm currently working on the rocker boxes and am replacing the rocker arms and shafts. I bought the J & P set and started fitting them yesterday. I put each shaft into the box, through the arm and spacer and went to torque the end nut down to measure the gap to see if I would need a shim. What I found was that all 4, when torqued down, ended up locking up the arm so that it wouldn't rock. After some confusion (I'm not a veteran at this) I finally figured out that the new aftermarket shafts, when measuring from the inside of the spacer (when pushed up as far as possible) to the inside edge of the "big" end of the shaft it was about .010 shorter than the old oem ones that had been in there previously. This basically allows for no room for the arm to have the recommended .004-.020 gap. What gives? I ordered up some Sifton brand arms from eBay today and will compare when they arrive. Did I do something wrong? From what I see there is no way to use the J & P brand shafts without machining the ends of the arms to shorten their length.

Hopefully my description is good enough.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Either bad manufacturing or you need to machine them down to fit.

Which would either be a pain in the ***, or the best way to do it (no need for shims) depending on your access to a quality machine shop!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

I am lucky enough to have access to a good shop but am pissed on principle that a new part would need that type of alteration. Any opinions on where to do the machining? My guess would be on the left side of the arm.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

JP buys them from v twin its china junk, making a spacer - you will never get them to stop leaking and once you use them you cant return them

Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 AM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

Does anyone have any suggestions on good brands of rocker shafts and places to buy them?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:15 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Jimsusa.com

Vulcanworks.net

I think I would also give the tech guys at S&S a call as well. They build replica motors. They are getting their rocker arms and shaft from somewhere because I do not see the parts listed in their catalog. Maybe they could point you in the right direction

The following users liked this post:
ReAnna's Father (11-25-2022)
Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Jollyczar
I am lucky enough to have access to a good shop but am pissed on principle that a new part would need that type of alteration. Any opinions on where to do the machining? My guess would be on the left side of the arm.
Yeah - I was being a bit facetious really. If you could send them back, I would do that. I'd be pissed as well if they didn't fit.

You could also look at Eastern rocker shafts - made in the USA and seem to have a good reputation:

http://www.easternmotorcycleparts.co...E_136_137.html

Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's input. These forums are a great resource. I'll look into those other brands and report back later.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

The one on the left is my new one. The one on the right is the one from J & P that was too short (that J & P said would fit &#128529. I haven't had a chance to install the new ones yet to see how they fit but I am optimistic. The Eastern one looks like the one I'm replacing.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jollyczar
The one on the left is my new one. The one on the right is the one from J & P that was too short (that J & P said would fit &#128529. I haven't had a chance to install the new ones yet to see how they fit but I am optimistic. The Eastern one looks like the one I'm replacing.
And I like the MADE IN THE USA.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket rocker shafts....