Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

what transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
lt56
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what transmission

hi- i'm hoping to add a kicker to my 82 fxwg. when i bought it i was told it was a four speed with a 5 speed conversion; via another thread i posted some were telling me it's a five speed transmission.
i took these pics with serial #s and brand. does anyone know if there is a way tell what i've got from the info in the pics?
It's a Sputhe and what i think is the serial # is 92101.
attached are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails what transmission-trans-cove.jpg   what transmission-trans-sputhe.jpg   what transmission-trans-shifter-linkage.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Surely you'll know how many gears you have?

But to me, it looks like an aftermarket 5 speed Sputhe gearbox...

Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 AM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Put an Rev tech in mine

Put new rev tech mine 5spd in 4 spd case with kicker motor 75 shovel 51 frame made big difference of course mines a straight kicker only so works out. But nice to have if starter goes out and no hills to coast down. Ride Safe. Wild Bill

Attached Thumbnails what transmission-image.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by lt56
hi- i'm hoping to add a kicker to my 82 fxwg. when i bought it i was told it was a four speed with a 5 speed conversion; via another thread i posted some were telling me it's a five speed transmission.
i took these pics with serial #s and brand. does anyone know if there is a way tell what i've got from the info in the pics?
It's a Sputhe and what i think is the serial # is 92101.
attached are some pics.
That second picture tells the true tale, it's a Sputhe 5 in a 4 case, uses 87 and up end cover , clutch cable and trapdoor on the trans. Another item you should be aware of is those should use the drive sprocket off an 80 to 84 FXR, it has a slight offset to clear everything and keep the chain aligned right.

As you were advised in the other thread don't waste your money on the cheaper kicker kits , Baker is pricey but the kit fits and works solidly, York and few other are less money but not the same quality product. As advised the stock ignition will give you grief as most can't tune to a one kick bike and it's a real pain in the *** to have to turn on & off each kick if ti doesn't hit the first time.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM
lt56
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That second picture tells the true tale, it's a Sputhe 5 in a 4 case, uses 87 and up end cover , clutch cable and trapdoor on the trans. Another item you should be aware of is those should use the drive sprocket off an 80 to 84 FXR, it has a slight offset to clear everything and keep the chain aligned right.

As you were advised in the other thread don't waste your money on the cheaper kicker kits , Baker is pricey but the kit fits and works solidly, York and few other are less money but not the same quality product. As advised the stock ignition will give you grief as most can't tune to a one kick bike and it's a real pain in the *** to have to turn on & off each kick if ti doesn't hit the first time.
very helpful info right there, thanks very much. this is way out of my comfort-zone to try to do alone. it'd be pushing it if it was a straight foreword install.
i think i'll wait on this project, but for sure, when i do it, i'll use the Baker and deal with the ignition....

much appreciation to you for sharing your knowledge. thanks