Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

an emotional restoration

Old 04-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Rkellogg
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default an emotional restoration

Hey guys. First time posting here and I am in need of some big time help. I need to start off by saying that I know very little about Harleys and even less about their workings, so hang with me here.

My dad had a 1980 FLT Tour Glide that he bought around '85 and was always messing with it as I was growing up. He loved it. He laid it over ~2005 and only rode it 1 or 2 times since then. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2013 from esophageal cancer. I have finally gotten around to getting the bike back to my house with hopes of restoring it and getting it on the road again as a tribute to him. I'd like to do the work myself to add to the sentimental value of the bike.

Here comes my problem, I have no clue where to begin. As I was growing up I wasn't that interested in what Dad was doing in the garage until it was too late. From the research I've done, it seems like he has done a lot of work to the bike. I'm hoping you guys can help enlighten me on what I'm up against and help me with the steps along the way.

I started off by draining the gas tank of the old nasty gas only to discover the inside of the tank is rusty. I just got done cleaning it with water and plan to use the POR-15 kit to re-seal the tank this weekend. Any tips for this process? I also have oil leaking from a handful of spots, I haven't had a chance to look into this too close. Maybe dried seals? The only other issue that I know for sure is that the battery will not hold a charge. Stator? Any other suggestions of things to check on a bike that has been sitting for 10+ years?

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance for the help. I am more than happy to take more pictures if that will help. I have also been riding for about 6 years now, so I have a basic knowledge of motorcycles.

Attached Thumbnails an emotional restoration-6a49ad03-f016-45b5-967c-382e5a47c5f9.jpg   an emotional restoration-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

The first thing you need to do is get a genuine HD service manual AND a genuine HD parts book. You want that parts book too. It's as handy as the service manual.

So you have rust in the tank. That's a good starting place. Clean it out and seal it. I use Caswell's epoxy gas tank sealer. DON"T use Kreem. While you have the tank off, clean the petcock, replace it's screen, replace the fuel lines, filter, and rebuild the carb. You'll also probably want to change the air filter.

So now that all of those items are done, you have pretty much your entire fuel system cleaned, serviced, and inspected. Next move on to brakes, then to ignition, tires (you need new tires if they're over 5 years old), all fluid changes, etc. Work your way over the whole bike, using the service manual as a guide for periodic maintenance procedures, and by and by you will get to know it and you will be ready to fire it up and go for a ride. The results of the ride will tell you what else needs fixing.

Carl

Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Rkellogg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carlgrover
The first thing you need to do is get a genuine HD service manual AND a genuine HD parts book. You want that parts book too. It's as handy as the service manual.

So you have rust in the tank. That's a good starting place. Clean it out and seal it. I use Caswell's epoxy gas tank sealer. DON"T use Kreem. While you have the tank off, clean the petcock, replace it's screen, replace the fuel lines, filter, and rebuild the carb. You'll also probably want to change the air filter.

So now that all of those items are done, you have pretty much your entire fuel system cleaned, serviced, and inspected. Next move on to brakes, then to ignition, tires (you need new tires if they're over 5 years old), all fluid changes, etc. Work your way over the whole bike, using the service manual as a guide for periodic maintenance procedures, and by and by you will get to know it and you will be ready to fire it up and go for a ride. The results of the ride will tell you what else needs fixing.

Carl
thanks for the help, I will locate those manuals and start digging into it. I'm sure I'll be posting back with questions! Thanks again

Old 04-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Carl, Welcome. Sorry to hear about your father. Nice looking bike. You came to the right place. This is a good group of guys with all the experience in the world.
Nick

Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Rkellogg
Intermediate

Thanks Nick. I'm excited to get into the bike. Just got the service manual and parts book ordered so I will diving into it as soon as they get here. I will hopefully get the gas tank fixed up in the mean time. I'm starting to realize why he spent so much time in the garage! As much as I am enjoying the project, I can't wait to get it on the road.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Big.Will
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Carl, the best way I've found to clean rust from a tank is to plug the holes drop some light nuts down in it with a little kerosene replace the gas cap and shake it up. you don't have to shake it hard but the nuts will knock all that loose rust off and continue to clean it with kerosene after you get the nuts out. you may be surprised and not have to coat the inside of the tank. especially if its not leaking.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:26 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm with Big.Will on this one. Most of the tanks I've cleaned over the years had light surface rust or scale that cleaned up. I've found a 1' length of chain works also. Muriatic acid has also worked really well for me. You can buy it at a pool supply store. Just be careful because its caustic. When finished, neutralize with baking soda and dispose.

Last edited by Nick Sorgio; 04-13-2017 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,890 Likes on 2,549 Posts

I cleaned an old tank with surface rust with White Vinegar, just takes a little longer. Three gallons of vinegar, let it sit 24 hours. Dump and rinse with water to get vinegar out and neutralize. Then a did another rinse with gasoline to remove the water. Mount and fill with gasoline and you are good. White vinegar does the same thing as the other acids, just slower but a lot safer for you. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 415 Likes on 286 Posts

I got some Fat Bobs that had gas sitting in them for years. God awful smelling sludge in the bottom of them. Put some metal cleaner, BBs (I cut open a couple of goose loads), drywall screws, seal the tanks well. When your wife/girlfriend is away for a while, wrap the tanks in towels, blankets or an old sleeping bag and put them in the dryer on low/no heat and tumble them for a few hours.
Make sure you run a fuel filter as it will take time to get all of that crud out of the system.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,374 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Sorry for your loss.
I would really recommend finding someone in your area that KNOWS shovels. Even if you have to go to an Indy and pay him for his time and expertise, it can and will save you time and money and you will learn. Also keep in mind that the FLT was a different animal than all the rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: an emotional restoration