Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'75 Shovel Kick Start Process

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default '75 Shovel Kick Start Process

The starter on my '75 FXE unfortunately doesn't work.

I don't have the secret process down for kick starting her yet. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes all I do is work up a major sweat and suffer from oxygen depravation.

The motor is a stock '74 with Bendix carb, points ignition. All is in good shape, the carb looks to be new. 18,000 on the motor.

Do I keep full choke through the starting process? Juice her with a couple throttle twists? I think I've flooded her a couple times, since after I've covered the tank with sweat and kicked myself to exhaustion, she fired up after I gave myself time to recover and try again.

I really need to figure this out in case I see a hot chick that I want to impress with my manly-man kick starting skills. Help a brother out...

Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Think I would fix my starter

Old 04-15-2017, 05:17 AM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If your gonna kick check timing, static timing is best, search YouTube for a video on timing for kick Start if you do not know how...now pick up some chics...been there done that...lol

Old 04-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every bike is gonna have a little different kicking procedure...Mine with ignition off I kick thru a couple of times to clear it out ...then turn on ignition wick the throttle 3 times and hold it open just a tad ...find compression stroke and kick it all the thru and I don't use the choke. Once started I lock the throttle screw down at a little higher than idle for a minute and done.

Almost forgot throw all this out the window if people are watching...lol

Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 415 Likes on 286 Posts

As previously stated, all bikes are different but what works for me is a couple of twists of the wick, ignition off choke closed all the way, give a couple of primer kicks, open choke, get motor to compression stroke, ignition on kick it like you mean it. That's for a cold start. Hot start I don't touch the throttle just get to compression stroke choke fully open ignition on and kick.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FL54
That's for a cold start. Hot start I don't touch the throttle just get to compression stroke choke fully open ignition on and kick.

Mine on a hot start....no choke...turn on ignition...hold throttle open a tad....barely have to kick it and boom,,,

Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Mine same way

Originally Posted by Snydcat
Every bike is gonna have a little different kicking procedure...Mine with ignition off I kick thru a couple of times to clear it out ...then turn on ignition wick the throttle 3 times and hold it open just a tad ...find compression stroke and kick it all the thru and I don't use the choke. Once started I lock the throttle screw down at a little higher than idle for a minute and done.

Almost forgot throw all this out the window if people are watching...lol
hear you on the people watching seems to be a jinx where ever I am happens that way. Go figure

Attached Thumbnails '75 Shovel Kick Start Process-image.jpeg  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I've found that the choke on my Bendix bikes doesn't do much, so I don't really use it. With the key off, I actually put my head down by the carb and listen to make sure it's squirting fuel. (Bendix pumps are not a strong point of thes carb) 2 or 3 squirts once it starts spraying. Kick over 3-4 times, key off. One more squirt, turn key on holding throttle slightly open and kick like a man.

Hot starts, just one or no prime kick, then turn key and kick. If it's cooled off but not stone cold, say 2 hours since last ride, I have found they start best with just a slightly opened throttle and one good kick.

With my 2 Bendix bikes, I have found the start better with the idle mixture on the richer side. Also be careful not to flood them.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:27 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Axle
The starter on my '75 FXE unfortunately doesn't work.

I don't have the secret process down for kick starting her yet. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes all I do is work up a major sweat and suffer from oxygen depravation.

The motor is a stock '74 with Bendix carb, points ignition. All is in good shape, the carb looks to be new. 18,000 on the motor.

Do I keep full choke through the starting process? Juice her with a couple throttle twists? I think I've flooded her a couple times, since after I've covered the tank with sweat and kicked myself to exhaustion, she fired up after I gave myself time to recover and try again.

I really need to figure this out in case I see a hot chick that I want to impress with my manly-man kick starting skills. Help a brother out...
I don't know a damn thing about kick starting a Harley but I think you're right about flooding it.

Carl

Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

To get a reliable kick start bike you need 3 things to be right. 1st the ignition system is solid and 8 out of 10 times the flyweights are trash on points bikes make sure yours are good. The popular cheap aftermarket advance units have a habit of having bad cam lobes with them meaning you may set the points to the small lobe but if you check the big side they will be way off. Second is no intake leaks and again more than not have some leakage going, test and repair it's a must. Lastly don't guess about the tune be very sure it's right and get the carb dialed in. All 3 done right and a shovel will be a very reliable 1 or 2 kick bike.

Last thing is if she doesn't hit in 3 kicks turn it off count to 60 and try again don't keep at it , you'll just work up a sweat.

The following users liked this post:
Turbomunkey (08-22-2020)