Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Jollyczar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASH69
I wouldn't turn heads without new gaskets or anneal them, how much is the intake out? Can u post a pic...also do you have O rings or bands.... Don't run it till ya fix it...you will run lean and burn pistons

Part of he reason why I think the rear head needs to be turned a bit is that my rear pipe is cocked slightly towards the tire. I have a feeling that unless I try to move it I will always wonder. With that said I just picked up a wrench and think I'm just gonna dig in to find out. The plan will be to remove it carefully and re-anneal the copper gasket....

Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In your pic, looks like the left you have good and the right is just far away?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

I went at it all day. First I marked the rear head and cylinder to give me a reference point. I got the rear head off, re-amnnealed the gasket and put it back on and refitted the manifold. It is now pretty damn close to flush to the front head (with the rear head flush). According to the mark I made I turned it about 1 degree counterclockwise. ( I would have taken a pic but my battery went dead on my phone.) Everything went back together and now I just need to wait for another day off of work to see if it is still sucking air.

Im glad I gave it a shot because apparently it was needed. I ordered the red silicone rings last night and will probably take the carb back off when they come in to put them on....
thanks again for the input. I'm also still considering the turbo coupler thing. I'll report back as soon as I can.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 PM
CRASH69
Tourer

Sounds good, If ya can snap a pic of your red thing install, I would like to see the spacers... good luck.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

I decided to go with the Tite Seal kit from FNA. It was a little pricey and I may have been able to do it myself with the turbo coupler hose as recommended but I worked some OT and had some extra cash. I have not had enough time to get it started yet but the install looks very promising. I love the simple concept of a thin clamp on each side of the seal.... makes a lot of sense. I'll report back with results...

Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 PM
CRASH69
Tourer

Looks great!! I think that's gonna work...

Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Lovely clean looking motor. Looks like mine! :-)

And I'd say those clams should seal well. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Gribbs
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jollyczar
I decided to go with the Tite Seal kit from FNA. It was a little pricey and I may have been able to do it myself with the turbo coupler hose as recommended but I worked some OT and had some extra cash. I have not had enough time to get it started yet but the install looks very promising. I love the simple concept of a thin clamp on each side of the seal.... makes a lot of sense. I'll report back with results...

So, did they seal after all???? That kit is a bit pricey, so it could help us out to know

Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribbs
So, did they seal after all???? That kit is a bit pricey, so it could help us out to know
You do know this was couple years ago. Lol

Old 07-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Gribbs
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fully aware. Maybe he is still on the forum. I had the 30 seconds to sacrifice and post a reply.

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (07-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Intake manifold question