Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1980 FLT clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1980 FLT clutch

I'm doing my first work on a 1980 FLT. Only Harleys I've owned have been late models so I've never worked on a shovel before and probably doubting myself in what I'm doing. I am competent with a wrench, just not familiar with this era and I want to learn!! when I got this, the primary was empty and was told it needed clutches replaced.
I'm reading in the HD manual that oil drips in on the primary chain and I don't see a fluid amount for primary. So, no adding oil to primary? Do I soak clutch disc in primary fluid or no? Can I remove the disc without pulling the clutch basket? I've tried looking for videos and haven't found much on these. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this ole bike back in good shape

Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM
honestcharlie56
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bike originally had the primary and the main chain included in the engine oiling system. Primary had a oil inlet on top of the chain and then a hole at the bottom to drain back. I have an 80' FLT too, mine has since been sealed up. Alot of people didn't like that system so they "removed" it. Its actually not a bad system though.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

So do you add primary fluid to bottom of derby cover?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

No. It is a dry clutch.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RKGDCG03
No. It is a dry clutch.
Dry clutch uses oil in the primary too, just not as much as a wet primary

Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by V_twins
Dry clutch uses oil in the primary too, just not as much as a wet primary
First of all read the manual. If the original primary chain oiling system is still in place, if you put any oil in the primary it will be sucked out of the primary and returned to the oil tank. OP stated that he could not find an amount to be used in the primary. This is why. I had an 1980 FLT when they first came out. Although it has been 30 years since I sold it I do not remember ever putting oil in the primary.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

thank you all for the responses. I learned today that this bike is a dry clutch and was common on the older bikes........probably the reason when looking through the service manual it does not have an oil amount in the primary. And since this was new to me, I wanted to reach out to those with the experience with these bikes . So now it makes more sense to me. I did locate the oil line going to the primary. So, basically, I can put the clutch disc in, adjust clutch per the manual and button it up.
Thanks again for helpful replies.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Technically, you're supposed to vacuum test it once you button it up. My suggestion would be to isolate it so you aren't sucking clutch dust into the engine; I think it's a crap design personally. What I do on my shovelheads is seal up the primary, vent it through the oiler, then run just enough dextron atf to kiss the clutch basket. Since I did that and started adding the plastic tamers, I stopped having any clutch issues.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 PM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm restoring a recently purchased 72 FX and will be running a wet primary. The chain oiler fitting will be used for a primary case vent line. The other 2 lines in the primary (vent and oil return) will be removed and the fitting holes plugged.

With bike on jiffy stand oil level just touching the bottom of clutch hub.

Only fittings used are the 3 on the oil pump to tank and the crankcase vent fitting.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RKGDCG03
First of all read the manual. If the original primary chain oiling system is still in place, if you put any oil in the primary it will be sucked out of the primary and returned to the oil tank. OP stated that he could not find an amount to be used in the primary. This is why. I had an 1980 FLT when they first came out. Although it has been 30 years since I sold it I do not remember ever putting oil in the primary.
Well.. I know the manual
That being said, even when the OEM system hooked correctly, there is always some oil in there and my understanding is that he didn't find any. That what I meant with the add oil comment, that it shouldn't be bone dry
Of course it should be bone dry with a belt, but that's a different thing

Quick Reply: 1980 FLT clutch