Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

That has been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Also, if you hold a small hose to your ear and move the other end around the engine where you think the noise might be coming from, you may be better able to diagnose the source.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:46 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Peoples
First time owner very little knowledge of motorcycle engines just purchased a bike that has been sitting for a while I corrected the few things that the previous owner has told me and after riding a little I noticed a tick tick tick sound that seems to flow with the Rev of the engine looking for advice going to add just the pushrods as I was just told bye my cousin they should be adjusted every 1500 miles if this is not the issue and I have a sticking lifter would it be better to go with solid lifters or hydraulic lifters

I was talking to a friend about your problem. He said if you have hydraulic lifters, it could be one of the lifters collapsed. If you have solids, it's normal to hear a slight ticking sound from the front lifter.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Matthew Peoples
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did and it sounds close to the lifter area going to try pushed adjustment the check if noise continues
so I adjusted my pushrods now and have fixed my exhaust leak the bike is a little quieter and easier to find the problem the noise is no longer by the lifter area it is now in my front cylinder Rocker Box going to try and oil additive and see if that will quiet it down thanx again

Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Matthew Peoples
Advanced

Originally Posted by LilRosie
I was talking to a friend about your problem. He said if you have hydraulic lifters, it could be one of the lifters collapsed. If you have solids, it's normal to hear a slight ticking sound from the front lifter.

while I was adjusting my pushrods I went ahead and pulled them I have hydraulics after adjustment noise now coming from front cylinder Rocker Box

Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

This is the same bike you want to run 80+mph and hotrod around on ?

Old 06-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Matthew Peoples
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
This is the same bike you want to run 80+mph and hotrod around on ?
lol ok guy I said I'd like it to hit a round 100 for a short distance not to hot rod a round on I under stand it's an older bike and not very strong im looking for info to get a little more out of my bike not your smart *** mouth with opinions which do not answer my question so im new to this hole working on bikes and slowly learning as I go but that's all from people with knowledge to share

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

lol ok guy I said I'd like it to hit a round 100 for a short distance not to hot rod a round on I under stand it's an older bike and not very strong im looking for info to get a little more out of my bike not your smart *** mouth with opinions which do not answer my question so im new to this hole working on bikes and slowly learning as I go but that's all from people with knowledge to share
People been giving you solid advice and truthful answers you don't want to hear, enjoy the shovel.

The following users liked this post:
lucky23 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Matthew Peoples
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
People been giving you solid advice and truthful answers you don't want to hear, enjoy the shovel.
ok bro you did give me a web page to go read on I thank you for that other than that it's been your opinion than you come with smart remarks that don't help me the other Info you gave was about not changing sprocket gears fatboy just gave a lot of info on parts and coast that told me some more about how I feel about it but than again sound like he's building a race bike I asked for fxe upgrade Info but thanks again I bought the shovel just so you older guys would appreciate seeing them out there you know respect type thing. Thanx again stay up right brother

Old 06-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

Matthew - some advice from another older guy: the best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging...

Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,382 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Matthew - some advice from another older guy: the best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging...

Or learn some manners.

Quick Reply: That has been sitting