Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Bringing the old girl back to life, but she is a little resistant...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Szmytty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing the old girl back to life, but she is a little resistant...

OK, so I finished a frame up restoration on my 78 shovel about 15 ago. The banana brakes blew out and she has been sitting for about 7 years. I've been riding around on my TK and am just getting back to getting the old girl back on the road. While I did most of the work, I had the motor rebuild at a shop here in NH. So now it has a 93" HC dual plugged stroker.

So first things first, drained all the fuel, cleaned the tanks and the carb. Replaced all the dry-rotted fuel and oil lines, new battery, and when I finally went to start it, if fired about 4 strokes and then dies. If I try and start it immediately, no go. If I wait ten minutes, same result, fires for a couple of strokes and then nothing. Wash, rinse, and repeat. So I have a couple of questions. It sounds like there is a ton of extra oil in the lower end, it's blowing oil out of the breather tube.
So......

How do I drain the excessive oil out of the lower end of these motors? Do I just disconnect the feed line and crank it over and use the oil pump to drain in? I can hear it sloshing around in there.

Would too much oil kill the motor after a couple of fires?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

It's sumped. You need to keep it running long enough to blow all the oil out of the crank case vent. Worst case you could pull the cam cover to drain it out. Sounds like maybe the float isn't working properly. Might be the needle is stuck and it's not getting gas.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Szmytty
I finally went to start it, if fired about 4 strokes and then dies. If I try and start it immediately, no go. If I wait ten minutes, same result, fires for a couple of strokes and then nothing. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Sounds like the gas is restricted...which is why if you wait long enough it gets enough to crank...did you clean the petcock screen?

If you get it running it will blow all the oil out the vent.