Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New Starter & Solenoid Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New Starter & Solenoid Not Working

Learning as I go with my '75 FXE.

Installed a new relay switch, a new solenoid, and a new All B*lls high torgue starter. I replaced the starter without pulling the side cover, per guidance from knowledgable mentors on this site.

Also rewired with 4 gauge auto starter cable wherever high amperage handling was necessary, per suggestion from All B*lls.

Checked, double checked and triple checked the wiring to make sure all connections are correct.

The solenoid makes quite a racket when the starter button is pressed, it seems to be engaging/disengaging at a rate of 3 to 4 times per second. The starter doesn't seem to function, as the motor doesn't turn over.

There were a couple small 'pucks' that came with the solenoid, intended to be dropped into the hole that the solenoid plunger goes into. Not sure what they do, but I guess a next step would be to drop one in and see if the behavior is changed.

The battery is less than a year old, although it is a stock battery and not a high amp unit that the starter might like better. Possibly I need to spring for a high amp battery.

As always, any guidance is appreciated.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,865 Posts

not really following you - But that sounds like when the battery is down the solenoid chatters

start by charging the battery - if it does not work after charging - then take a jumper 14 gauge wire and jump the small term to the hot on the sol and see if it cranks then

you could have a linkage issue inside the primary

Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

Thanks John.

I think 'chatter' is probably an appropriate description. The battery is less than a year old, and I went for a good ride to make sure it was fully charged.

The new starter instructions suggest 4 gauge wire and a battery with higher amperage. The wire is up to spec, but the battery is a standard Harley battery, not a high amp one like the All B*lls starter instructions suggest.

I've wired per your updated scheme with the additional relay and the jumper wire on the solenoid. So I believe that I'll need to disconnect the jumper prior to testing.

There may just be a linkage issue. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to remove the primary cover. If that winds up being necessary, I'll view it as an opportunity to fix the single leak that the bike has, it drips about a thimbleful a week at the rear.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

what was the original issue I forgot - starter went bad ?????

Old 08-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

Originally nothing happened when I hit the starter button. So I replaced all components - relay, solenoid and starter - and rewired per your improved schematic.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

you could have wires crossed - so the relay or solenoid is opening it's own circuit when it shoudl be closing it? sort of how a buzzer works?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser

That is an interesting thought. I'll go over all the wiring again this coming weekend.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Tat2d
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine will do that if the battery doesn't have enough juice. Do you have a battery charger with a 60amp start function? If so hook it up, charge the battery then hit it with the extra 60 amps and see what you get.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tat2d
Mine will do that if the battery doesn't have enough juice. Do you have a battery charger with a 60amp start function? If so hook it up, charge the battery then hit it with the extra 60 amps and see what you get.
that's the reason I said to re charge the battery that is exactly what happens

Old 08-14-2018, 12:29 AM
Words.Songs.Ends.Kids.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad pic of the ugly side.

Work in progress.
Hey all. First post. I have an '86 FXRS that is giving me a similar problem. Basically, after a bunch of recent work, my solenoid is sticking and once the Start switch is hit, the bike basically wont stop trying to turn over until the battery dies. I can hit the Start switch to get it to stop some of the time. Yesterday, it started and was idling, but when i tried to kill it, it stuck and tried to turn over until the battery wore all the way down. I took off teh derby cover and could see that the shaft was not popping all the way back, but it seems to be properly seated into the starter.Work doine within last two months:

New Deka battery
New solenoid
Two different starters tried (one stock, one Spyke high torque)
New bendex
New ignition module
New starter relay, plugs, and cables
ALL new circuit breakers
Lots of electrical work done - added load equalizer and switched to LED's, fixed high beam short, chased down and capped some open wires.

I inherited this bike with a bunch of...character...lots of headaches, but some great potential. After months of work and lots of money, I just want to ride the ****er. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: New Starter & Solenoid Not Working