Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Just bought a wide glide shovel head

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
Are you trying to put it back to factory stock? If so you will need new exhaust, shocks, handlebars/risers, rear blinkers, and a few other little pieces. Looks pretty complete otherwise, from the one picture. It's an 82, first year of those "modern" hand controls, last year of the older rear brake controls. I can't tell if it's just highly polished or chrome, but nothing on the engine would have been chrome in 82.

That's pretty much what I see. Darn good looking bike that's pretty original on all the important stuff. Be careful, you'll fall in love with her!!!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:04 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,726 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
That's pretty much what I see. Darn good looking bike that's pretty original on all the important stuff. Be careful, you'll fall in love with her!!!
I already have!

Anyone have a pic of what the original 023 Emerald metallic green paint would've looked like? Google shows me everything from bug juice green to almost black.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:47 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Only thing I could find. FL not FXWG.

http://www.2040-motos.com/harley-dav...ead-fl-100038/

Old 08-28-2017, 12:04 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Only thing I could find. FL not FXWG.

http://www.2040-motos.com/harley-dav...ead-fl-100038/
Thanks I saw that one too, just can't be sure if that example is original and 023. Ill keep looking. Its currently a dark metallic green.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:56 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Thanks for chiming in. Im having a hard time figuring certain details out, thought it would be easy on line these days but its not. Trying to figure out if the bars are original. I know the rear signal lights aren't and I want to know what air cleaner it had, the big rectangle box with plastic fins or?

I love the sound and period mods.
That bike originally had buckhorns..part number 56081-82 ..the original air filter was a "hamcan"

Old 08-28-2017, 04:16 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Not wanting to return it to original just wanting to know my bike is all. Educate myself. I like the period mods, I have a car that has period mods from new which makes it more appealing to me and other collectors.

Shouldn't the rocker boxes be chrome? The engine side cover is chrome not polished as is the primary cover.
In short no. You can pull off the cover though, and see if they have an HD part number cast into them, or it they are straight up aftermarket. They could be stock parts that were custom plated.

These 2 videos will show you the correct finishes...

Harley never had a chrome plated outer primarys or cam covers or shovelhead rockerboxes. They didn't start doing it until 1984 on the limited production FXRDG (Evo). The reason was, the process for chrome plating aluminum wasn't perfected for mass production until the mid 80's. The first mass produced standard models with chrome plated aluminum covers were the FXSTC's, which started in 1986.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:20 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
That bike originally had buckhorns..part number 56081-82 ..the original air filter was a "hamcan"
Thanks, thats one ugly air cleaner.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:24 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by mrlexus
In short no. You can pull off the cover though, and see if they have an HD part number cast into them, or it they are straight up aftermarket. They could be stock parts that were custom plated.

These 2 videos will show you the correct finishes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvLQRbF74UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll45dwdeAuk

Harley never had a chrome plated outer primarys or cam covers or shovelhead rockerboxes. They didn't start doing it until 1984 on the limited production FXRDG (Evo). The reason was, the process for chrome plating aluminum wasn't perfected for mass production until the mid 80's. The first mass produced standard models with chrome plated aluminum covers were the FXSTC's, which started in 1986.
Thank you!

The engine side cover is a chrome tin cover over the original so Ill probably yank that off and hope the original doesn't look like garbage.

I've been riding it around, what a raw experience compared to my RK, no desire to go fast at all, just hang on and stick to the posted limit. Very cool though too, Im not complaining!

Need to dig into some wiring tonight to figure out why the signals dont work, on a mission to find the fuse box first lol. I have zero literature on this bike.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:07 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Thank you!

The engine side cover is a chrome tin cover over the original so Ill probably yank that off and hope the original doesn't look like garbage.

I've been riding it around, what a raw experience compared to my RK, no desire to go fast at all, just hang on and stick to the posted limit. Very cool though too, Im not complaining!

Need to dig into some wiring tonight to figure out why the signals dont work, on a mission to find the fuse box first lol. I have zero literature on this bike.
The Bay has original and copies of the Shop Manual and Parts Book, you want both for your year bike. Helps, alot. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Thank you!

There are no fuses. If you take off the dash, there are circuit breakers by the ignition switch, they do go bad occasionally, and you can get replacements at Napa or wherever. I'd start with the flasher, it is under the seat on the left. Remember, you need to hold the button down the whole time you want it to flash, it's not like the newer bikes.

Put up some more pictures of the bike, and I'll tell your what is correct and what has been replaced.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (08-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Just bought a wide glide shovel head