Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Just bought a wide glide shovel head

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
There are no fuses. If you take off the dash, there are circuit breakers by the ignition switch, they do go bad occasionally, and you can get replacements at Napa or wherever. I'd start with the flasher, it is under the seat on the left. Remember, you need to hold the button down the whole time you want it to flash, it's not like the newer bikes.

Put up some more pictures of the bike, and I'll tell your what is correct and what has been replaced.

Last night I accidentally held the switch just long enough and the light flashed. I felt like an idiot and you just confirmed it. Makes you wonder how you maintain a left signal at an intersection and work the clutch to complete the turn!

The rears were not working so not a complete waste of time so I repaired the wiring to the added-on mini lights out back that are there to clear the fishtails. Found the wiring block is a tight fit under the seat, what were they thinking? And whoever had the bike before me loved scotch locks under the console so I see a re-wire happening this winter.

Found a mystery relay zip tied to the frame on the right side near the transmission.

I plan to get the parts book and workshop manual, as well as the owners manual.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:37 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Last night I accidentally held the switch just long enough and the light flashed. I felt like an idiot and you just confirmed it. Makes you wonder how you maintain a left signal at an intersection and work the clutch to complete the turn!

The rears were not working so not a complete waste of time so I repaired the wiring to the added-on mini lights out back that are there to clear the fishtails. Found the wiring block is a tight fit under the seat, what were they thinking? And whoever had the bike before me loved scotch locks under the console so I see a re-wire happening this winter.

Found a mystery relay zip tied to the frame on the right side near the transmission.

I plan to get the parts book and workshop manual, as well as the owners manual.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.
Just so you know, the scotch locks are all there from the factory, that's the way they came. The relay is for the starter solenoid. It should be bolted under the battery.

Look here for the wiring diagram and parts books. https://www.carlsalter.com/harley-service-manuals.asp

Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman

While you are working on the wiring you could install one of these:

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-29-2017, 04:55 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by mrlexus
Just so you know, the scotch locks are all there from the factory, that's the way they came. The relay is for the starter solenoid. It should be bolted under the battery.

Look here for the wiring diagram and parts books. https://www.carlsalter.com/harley-service-manuals.asp
Wonderful, scotch locks from the factory lol. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
While you are working on the wiring you could install one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Badlands-Prod...18QXB8CD1QZYDM
I like it, I will thank you

Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice bike,nothing like a wide glide,my turn signal is the same way,didn't take long getting used to holding the button in while using the clutch or front brake.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:51 AM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This was mine........Mostly custom but a few chrome stock goodies

Last edited by RedHogz; 09-03-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Nice bike,nothing like a wide glide,my turn signal is the same way,didn't take long getting used to holding the button in while using the clutch or front brake.
Same on my 83 FXWG and 81 FXB. I just hold em before I slow down and after I've stopped.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by RedHogz
This was mine........Mostly custom but a few chrome stock goodies

Very clean. Why did you sell it? Curious.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 PM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That Wide Glide was my buddies for 10 years. He sold it to another friend of ours out of state and he owned it for 8 years. He maybe put 200 miles on it during that time but it mostly sat partially disassembled in his basement. I was sweet on that bike, so when I was visiting I casually asked if he still had the Wide Glide. He replied yes and did I want to buy it. I jumped on the chance, picked it up cheap, cleaned and polished it, added a new S&S carb and flipped it for some nice coin. I never really intended to hang onto it since i still have my 03 Heritage. Yeah it was a real head turner and clean, but money talks. I'm doing the same with this red Softail.

Last edited by RedHogz; 09-03-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking bike. Ride the heck out of it and enjoy it. It'll last a lot longer if you don't try to ride it at the same highway speeds as the twin cams.